LoveandPurpose

best book on depression?

6 posts in this topic

I think I have depression, what's a book you can recommend so I can deal with it?

One book I like and it's not a spiritual book, more of a good old fashioned self-help book is Overcoming Depression One Step At A Time by Michael E Addis and Christopher R Martell.

I think it depends somewhat on how your particular depression manifests itself. 

@LoveandPurpose As someone that used to be depressed, I can tell you that it is impossible to be totally present and be depressed. Its the stories about the past and future that are depressing. I doubt you are starving and homeless in the present moment. 

I would recommend the power of now by eckhart tolle. 

Books can help a little but traveling and doing new things every day, going new places, meeting new people ect.. is the most effective way to cure depression. You have to replace your old subconscious patterning with new programs/experiences. Eventually you forget you were depressed to begin with and wind up realizing you were always happy but stuck in the past or future for anxiety. Most psychological disorders are results of the mind being stuck in time and not truly in the present moment.

B R E A T H E

get out of your mind and into your life - steven c hayes

peace is every step - thich nhat hanh 

dont forget meditation and exercise!