lennart

90 Days of daily Yogic breathing technique

29 posts in this topic

Read The Science of Pranayama by Swami Sivananda Saraswati, Light on Pranayama: The Yogic Art of Breathing by B.K.S Iyengar and Power Pranayama by Dr. Renu Mahtani.

“The decisive question for man is: Is he related to something infinite or not? That is the telling question of his life. Only if we know that the thing which truly matters is the infinite can we avoid fixing our interests upon futilities, and upon all kinds of goals which are not of real importance. Thus we demand that the world grant us recognition for qualities which we regard as personal possessions: our talent or our beauty. The more a man lays stress on false possessions, and the less sensitivity he has for what is essential, the less satisfying is his life. He feels limited because he has limited aims, and the result is envy and jealousy. If we understand and feel that here in this life we already have a link with the infinite, desires and attitudes change.” - Carl Jung

https://www.udemy.com/breathing/?couponCode=BREATHISLIFEAXV3 Take this course and than say goodbye to your old life and to the autonomic nervous system cause now it's on manual and you controle it.

“The decisive question for man is: Is he related to something infinite or not? That is the telling question of his life. Only if we know that the thing which truly matters is the infinite can we avoid fixing our interests upon futilities, and upon all kinds of goals which are not of real importance. Thus we demand that the world grant us recognition for qualities which we regard as personal possessions: our talent or our beauty. The more a man lays stress on false possessions, and the less sensitivity he has for what is essential, the less satisfying is his life. He feels limited because he has limited aims, and the result is envy and jealousy. If we understand and feel that here in this life we already have a link with the infinite, desires and attitudes change.” - Carl Jung

Thank you so much bro.

I definitely will test some of these and I will gradually go up with the duration. For how long are you doing pranayama now?

The Wim Hoff which is a diferent form of bhastrika in pranayama for almost 3 years. But the others consistently for the last 6 months.

On 3.9.2019 at 3:26 PM, Arnold666 said:

The Wim Hoff which is a diferent form of bhastrika in pranayama for almost 3 years. But the others consistently for the last 6 months.

I love the Wim hoff method. I always feel good afterwards.

Day 62: 

- 8 min of normal deep breathing and afterwards 5 min of alternate nostril breathing

- I had some stomach pain which made it hard for me to breath into my stomach

- I tried to focus on the sensations in my nostrils which wasnt easy

- felt a little bit restless

Day 63: 

- 8 min laying on my bed

- my were a little bit sore

- was difficult to keep my mind focused 

- maybe I should switch again to sitting

Day 64: 

- 10 min sitting on bed

- had a few moments of lucidity where I was only focused on the sounds of breathing or the feeling of the air on my nostrils

- other than that a lot of thoughts

Day 65: 

- 10 min lying on the bed

- After some breaths I got into the rhythm and could notice a silencing effect on my thoughts

- left nostril was a little closed which was a little bit annoying but I could let go of that

Day 66:

- 10 min sitting on bed

- had a lot of thoughts but the funny thing is that the breathing and the switching seems to go on its own

- Also the steady rhythm of inhale and exhale brings me into a light trance

Day 67: 

- Left nostril was a little bit closed so I just did normal breath meditation

- 10 min sitting on bed 

- focused on the tip of the nose

- got distracted in the middle by my mom

- I had some moments of focus

- also a lot of distraction

Day 68:

- 10 min sitting on bed leaning against the wall

- I took a few minutes to get into it

- I got into the rhythm of rising and falling of my breathing

- the sound of breathing is especially calming for me because it reminds me of the rhythmic sounds of the ocean

Conclusion after 10 weeks:

I have been doing 10 min for almost a week now and the effects seem to be more noticeable. The technique definitely has a calming effect on me and I enjoy that. The only thing that is a little bit annoying is that sometime I just can’t do it because my nostrils are closed. Then I just do normal breathing.

Day 69: 

- 10 min sitting straight on a cushion

- I did 3 rounds of wim hof breathing before

- So I was already in an elevated state

- during the first half I listened to classical music. (I do that always when doing the wim Hof breathing. I sounds way better after the breathing when I am doing the breath holds I can really listen) For the alternate nostril breathing the music was kind of annoying because I couldn’t focus. 

- when I stopped the music I could focus much better

Day 70: 

- left nostril was closed so I decided to do some breath meditation

- I focused on breathing into my belly and on the sensations on the tip of the nose

- I got carried away be thoughts a lot 

- At some point I was able to see clearly images on my mental screen

- images of show I am watching

Day 71: 

- 10 min sitting on my bed

- got up in negative thinking about the past

- when I realized that I redirected my focus on the sensations and the sounds of breathing

Day 72:

- 10 min sitting

- my mom played music which agitated me a little bit

- I sillt tried to focus on the breath

Day 73:

- 10 min sitting on the couch

- Had some moments of being mindful followed by being lost in thought

- the good thing is that I am aware of the difference between knowing what is happening in the moment and not knowing

Day 74:

- 10 min sitting on bed

- I was a little bit agitated before but after a few minutes I got really calm 

- I focused on making the exhalations longer

Day 75: 

- min sitting on bed

- I got into a calm rhythm after a few minutes

- but there was a fly that always landed on my arm. It was super distracting

- towards the end I had a little bit of pain in my stomach because I ate breakfast before

Conclusion after 11 weeks:

Nothing new. I enjoy the practice and it definitely works. Although the effects are not dramatic they are noticeable.

Day 76: 

- 10 min sitting on bed

- nostrils were a little bit closed

- did it anyway

- tried to focus on the sensations and the sounds of breathing

- => calming

Day 77:

- 10 min sitting on bed

- dont remember that much

- I think I was quite distracted and very tired

- despite that I achieved a little bit of calmness

Day 78:

- 10 min sitting on bed

- at first it was a little bit straining but after a while the breathing was happening on its on and I could rest my mind

Day 79:

- 10 min sitting on sofa

- at first it was a little bit strenuous then I got into the rhythm and it became more automatic

- in the end I slowed down even more through ujjayi breathing (contracting the throat)

Day 80:

- 10 min sitting on bed

- did Ujjayi breathing again amd I could really slow down the breath

- this was calming although what got in the was that I ate a little peace of chocolate before and I just started to sweat and there was a burning sensation in my mouth

- that was really distracting

Day 81:

- 10 min sitting on bed

- today I thought I would do something different. I just sat.

- I was “trying” my best to not try ?

- Was a nice change in my practice

Day 82:

- nostrils were a little bit closed but wasnt that bad

- was very relaxing as always

- very rhythmic and soothing

Conclusion after 12 weeks:

I like the practice although I dont always want to do it. So on some days I might do something different like watching the breath or just sitting.

Day 83: 

- 10 min sitting on bed

- I think I was a little bit stressed and couldnt really focus

Day 84:

- 10 min sitting on bed

- did very slow ujjayi breathing

- my nostrils are a little bit sore. It is getting cold ? 

- otherwise I could calm down and had a few moments of mindfulness

Day 85: 

- had a little knot in my neck which was really annoying in the beginning but it loosened up

- became increasingly more calm

- felt like a long time

Day 86:

- 15 min sitting on bed leaning against wall

- felt very long

- got some calmness but then I had some stomach cramps which were really annoying because I couldnt really breath into my stomach

Day 87:

- 10 min lying on bed

- was listening to a 10 min meditation track with nice sounds

- tried to let the music be and listen to it

Day 88:

- 10 min sitting in car

- first did alternate nostril breathing 

- tried to breath in for 4 sec. and out for 4 

- my neck started to hurt because I had to hold it up

- for the last few minutes I did normal mindful breathing

Day 89:

- 10 min sitting on my bed

- at the beginning I had to effort a little bit but after a few minutes I could relax more

- I had some stomach cramps. They came in waves. The stomach relaxed and then it cramped again. Dont know why ?‍♂️

Day 90: 

- 10 min sitting on bed

- tried to slow down and focus on the sensations

- found myself becoming a little bit calmer

Conclusion after 90 days:

So this is the end of my 90 day challenge. How was it? 

It was great to have a daily practice. It definitely helped me when I was having stress some times. Here and there I tried a few different things. My goal was to find something that I could turn into a permanent practice. I am very interested in other pranayama techniques like breath of fire or wim hof breathing and I think the next step for me is to to do a 1 year challenge. But I dont want to commit to only 1 technique I think I am going to change up the techniques like on one day I will do nadi shodana and on the other I will do wim hof or something like that. 

I also want to start other healthy habits like drinking a healthy smoothie in the morning or doing some physical exercise. 

So I will start a life style blog starting tomorrow where I talk about these things to hopefully help you also to make those changes.