SoonHei

wim hof breathing + cold showers... benefits?

13 posts in this topic

hey all

tried wim hof breathing yesterday... did a few rounds of it... felt pretty relaxed... kinda like a body high with tingling in places and snoozed during that time too at the end :D

also, was surpprised to discover that at the part where one's required to hold the breath, i was able to do so without much effort at all upto 2 minutes... could have gone longer but decided to breathe... it was incredible though

anyone here experimented / tried this?

any tips? also is this similar to some kriya yoga or indian breathing meditations as well? i haven't looked up much of that, can someone advise

lastly. the cold showers combo is stated to go well with this.

i haven't looked into that or done it yet...

but are you supposed to do the breathing and then get up and go get a cold shower?

or during the cold shower, one is supposed to do that deep breathing to clam the body down? also, what are some of the benefits if you have tried.

want to get some personal experience info before i try that.

thanks <3

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

I have done it two times for a month. The best benefits was that I felt very awake and energetic compared to not doing it (was part of my morning routine). If you keep doing this you will be able to hold your breath for 3 minutes! If I can do that you can do it too. It's rewarding in itself if you can extend your bodies limits.

Edited by Marinus

This is currently my go to daily spiritual technique. I pray right after and set my intentions before each session. You can also mix it up with holotropic breathwork which is basically the same thing. Very powerful technique and I've found it keeps me in the present moment more than meditation. 

I like ending a shower by turning the faucet to the coldest setting for these benefits:

1. Cold shower trains your senses to adapt to "discomfort". By increasing your discomfort tolerance with cold showers, you can psychologically improve resistance to certain behavior changes needed for self improvement (i.e. procrastination, avoidant tendencies, etc.)
  2. Cold water against the skin closes the pores back up, which leaves the skin feeling less sensitive/vulnerable to bacteria. If you moisturize, it's important to rinse the face with cold water before applying any product to avoid inflammation and irritation from exposed pores.  
  3. It closes the hair's cuticles, as well as the pores on the scalp. It usually leaves the hair silkier and stronger for this reason.
Edited by laptophaver
make best use of any product by priming your skin for it (cold water)

delete this

Is wim wof useful for emotional releases?

6 hours ago, SoonHei said:

hey all

tried wim hof breathing yesterday... did a few rounds of it... felt pretty relaxed... kinda like a body high with tingling in places and snoozed during that time too at the end :D

also, was surpprised to discover that at the part where one's required to hold the breath, i was able to do so without much effort at all upto 2 minutes... could have gone longer but decided to breathe... it was incredible though

anyone here experimented / tried this?

any tips? also is this similar to some kriya yoga or indian breathing meditations as well? i haven't looked up much of that, can someone advise

lastly. the cold showers combo is stated to go well with this.

i haven't looked into that or done it yet...

but are you supposed to do the breathing and then get up and go get a cold shower?

or during the cold shower, one is supposed to do that deep breathing to clam the body down? also, what are some of the benefits if you have tried.

want to get some personal experience info before i try that.

thanks <3

Just jump in the cold shower, you'll do the breathing technique automatically.  Its a physical reaction to the cold, you'll notice yourself gasping for air for the first minute or two.  Try to do the wedge method:

There is grit and there is flow.  Once you get into the cold you'll automatically go into grit and tense up.  Let your body do that, don't force yourself to try to relax, instead breathe deeply, focus your mind on relaxing and slowly the body releases once it adjusts to the temperature.  Now you are in flow, not trying to protect your body from the cold, you accept the situation.

You'll notice your skin actually feels like it warms up, your core starts generating heat all on its own.  Its quite remarkable.

Before the shower I always feel resistance to getting in, during the shower I feel challenged, after the shower I feel renewed.

I only discovered Wim Hof a few weeks ago, a very interesting man who doesn't just talk the talk!  

So far I've found small improvements in mental health, but I'll need to keep it up to see any results.  I don't think I'll be climbing Everest in my shorts anytime soon, but you never know.

Grace

@MiracleMan lol wow. sweet. thank you for that

and yes. i haven't done a full on cold shower. 

the gasping for air is automatic indeed, when ending my normal warm/shower... at the end, i often turn the tap slowly off letting the cold water hit for a few seconds before finally turning it off

this shower deal is gonna be a good challenge. let's see :)

Love Is The Answer

22 minutes ago, SoonHei said:

@MiracleMan lol wow. sweet. thank you for that

and yes. i haven't done a full on cold shower. 

the gasping for air is automatic indeed, when ending my normal warm/shower... at the end, i often turn the tap slowly off letting the cold water hit for a few seconds before finally turning it off

this shower deal is gonna be a good challenge. let's see :)

Its tough man!  I'm trying hard to do at least one cold shower a day.  I just try to imagine Wim cheering me on.

wim_twofist.jpg

Grace

touche. that would be helpful

i like epic music sound tracks

should crank that up and vibe to it when i do it :D

Love Is The Answer

laptophaver, I saw your message on my post from yesterday, and I just wanted to say - it was supposed to be a fun poll. They are all beautiful women in their own right, and indeed all women are beautiful in their own right; however I found that the beauty expressed in these music videos is particularly incredible, and in fact all three of these music videos reduce me to tears. I find the freedom of expression that these women portray is divinely beautiful, so instead of being a "stupid", "vapid" poll, maybe you could see the place of love where I was coming from? It makes me sad that I might have upset someone, but that was never the intention.

I would have messaged you directly but it seems you have blocked me. 

It is a great technique. I have done the breathing in periods and it really makes you more alert yet calm at the same time. I want to do it consistently for a year and see the effects.