JonasVE12

Does playing the guitar have meditative benefits

7 posts in this topic

Just wondering if it has meditative benefits to it because of the concentration on the sound when you improvise

Does it mostly depend on how mindful you are when playing? on how much focus you put on the notes you're playing?

@JonasVE12 honestly when I play piano I get so much monkey mind. Mindfulness is something else than playing an instrument. But you can reach a creative no mind state to even create music!

But does it not have similar benefits to concentration meditation when you put all of your attention on the notes?

@JonasVE12

You can use almost anything as meditation practice. Yes you can train your attention by focusing on the notes, or the sound coming out of playing these notes, or feeling the sensation in your hands of playing the strings, looking at your hands playing, and so on and so on. Apply this to all kinds of activities you do, one key is to be very mindful to where you put your attention.

You can practice meditation with all of your senses all throughout the day, this is how you can bring meditation into your daily life beyond the cushion

@JonasVE12 Yes, it’s also cumulative. Sing as well, great means of expression and liberation. If you haven’t, consider learning a few classical pieces. Caprice 24 was a breakthrough learning / concentration for me. Check it out, maybe you’ll like it too. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

I don't play guitar but I play various rhythm games like guitar hero, osu, stepmania, and so on. 

They do good at silencing my mind. When it's not silenced I have to think which slows me down. When my mind is quiet I am running solely off visual and auditory information. It feels like a processing shortcut to go into auto play mode. 

I imagine guitar would be similar. 

On 01/07/2019 at 6:31 PM, JonasVE12 said:

Just wondering if it has meditative benefits to it because of the concentration on the sound when you improvise

Does it mostly depend on how mindful you are when playing? on how much focus you put on the notes you're playing?

This can be applied to anything.