Hugo Oliveira

Desires

12 posts in this topic

I know that this is probably an exhausted conversation, but how do you guys deal with your desires/self genda?  

Is your life conducted by them?
Are you trying to abdicate? 
Are you establishing a balance between desires and surrender?
Are you overcoming your desires progressively? 

Thanks for your attention!

On 6/29/2019 at 0:25 AM, Hugo Oliveira said:

I know that this is probably an exhausted conversation, but how do you guys deal with your desires/self genda?  

Is your life conducted by them?
Are you trying to abdicate? 
Are you establishing a balance between desires and surrender?
Are you overcoming your desires progressively? 

Thanks for your attention!

This is how things went for me in a nutshell 

1) Following desires unconsciously. Life on auto pilot. Well it was not a problem, until I started to grow up. The glitches and contradicting forces started to nest in me and made life tear apart into multiple pieces.

2) then started journaling and trying to figure out stuff about how/why i desire things. Came up with nice interpretations, insights etc.

Then at one point, even that started to feel like inauthentic after realizing the workings of the mind. The mind can literally interpret anything in any way, make connections between any two things. Because all of it are nothing but products of mind.

3) nowadays I am mostly engaged in self inquiry. So instead of focusing on how/why/what/when of desire, my attention starts moving towards the I that attends to those objects. 

So that is the desire storyline. The thing about desire is that, a singular desire or force of nature is not the problem. The core of our problem and suffering is the conflicting desires. We think we desire one thing, while we say otherwise and we behave and act even more otherwise- all the while we might not even know what we really really want.

So we end up being torn apart between these conflicting forces

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

People, who have gained a lot of success in life, done whatever they want, kill their ego more easily. Desires dont hold them back. And they know from their experience that nothing satisfies them, nothing gives true happiness. So they firmly make progress in spiritual journey.

fulfilling your desires are in the first-priority and practicing consciousness without fulfilling desires doesn't worth a dime!  

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

7 hours ago, Hugo Oliveira said:

Thank you guys for all the answers. 

@hamedsf
Could you explain your position better?

In spiritual journey people should abandon their desires. Desires also dont let you be in the now.

And people who have fulfilled their desires, see with their own eyes that desires truly did not give them happiness, did not make them feel complete. Furthermore there is no desire left. All these contribute to letting go. To being in the now. To killing sense of self.

37 minutes ago, Buba said:

In spiritual journey people should abandon their desires. Desires also dont let you be in the now.

And people who have fulfilled their desires, see with their own eyes that desires truly did not give them happiness, did not make them feel complete. Furthermore there is no desire left. All these contribute to letting go. To being in the now. To killing sense of self.

hahaha, being present in the now doesn't mean you'd be as still as a statue

1 hour ago, hamedsf said:

hahaha, being present in the now doesn't mean you'd be as still as a statue

If you have a desire of which you think fulfilling will add a value to your life, to your sense of self, then being in the now will be very painful. You will say "wait Now, wait, I have to do something, then I will come to you, then I will be ready".

27 minutes ago, Buba said:

If you have a desire of which you think fulfilling will add a value to your life, to your sense of self, then being in the now will be very painful. You will say "wait Now, wait, I have to do something, then I will come to you, then I will be ready".

your explanation proves my point to a tee! if you don't fulfill your desires constantly you'd be fall off the track for pursuing consciousness!

needs/desires aren't the thing that make you every-happy person but if you don't fulfill them, you'd be miserable for sure.

this main point is always missed in majority of spiritual schools.

2 hours ago, hamedsf said:

your explanation proves my point to a tee! if you don't fulfill your desires constantly you'd be fall off the track for pursuing consciousness!

needs/desires aren't the thing that make you every-happy person but if you don't fulfill them, you'd be miserable for sure.

this main point is always missed in majority of spiritual schools.

If your priority is not being in the now, but be in the future to fulfill your desires, then you are hindering the transformation.

5 hours ago, Buba said:

If your priority is not being in the now, but be in the future to fulfill your desires, then you are hindering the transformation.

attention should be in the present moment, nothing against it but even the future is the present moment when I'll fulfill my desires.  imagine you're in the freezing cold and you're dripping wet! it's really difficult to be present while you're feeling freezing cold outside and shivering ( but you try to be present meanwhile) , but you have the desire to go inside a cottage to warm yourself up with the blazing fire in the fire place. if you delay the process and not to go inside your cottage, the difficulty will grow to be present, but finally you step in the house and you feel comfy and find it much easy to be present.