youngshinzen

How can I cure PTSD?

24 posts in this topic

I am born with a high vulnerability and an accident, mobbing and overall negative self-talk and blame have lead to deep depression and a manic phase/psychotic break. Since then I carry a heavy emotion inside my chest most of the time. I‘m less expressive and it‘s too hard to show facial expressions. There‘s an overall tendency of sadness, but I wasn‘t able to really cry and process it. Been meditating for two years and have done a retreat recently. Helped to get more in touch with the emotion, but it‘s still very suppressed.

Has anybody successfully (maybe with a condition like mine) achieved more happiness and a release of this heavy energy? 

@youngshinzen Richard Grannon SpartanLifeCoach is one of my fave on topics of mental health and PTSD

@youngshinzen Well if you were born with it - there’s nothing you can do. 

Put that down. 

ActualityOfBeing.com Nonduality & Meditations 

“Wonderer, worshipper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair.
Come, even if you have broken your vow a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come”. Rumi

@youngshinzen  You can do anything. You will experience the story you tell. Change your story. 

Try therapy, psychoanalysis, reiki, breathing techniques, reading up, change up practices, clean up the diet & fitness, etc. Those can of course be very very helpful. 

It will still be the case though. The gift is, you get to tell your story. No one can touch that. 

“Wonderer, worshipper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair.
Come, even if you have broken your vow a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come”. Rumi

@youngshinzen

Momentum is what is at hand. One can repeat self deflating thoughts so much for so long, they’d swear it’s just “how I am”. But that was created by the same one. The experience is of the momentum. 

Notice you can remember being ten years old, in the sense that you were, and can recall some events. 

But also notice, you can not recall your state of consciousness. You can not remember being ten, you can see in that way right now. 

Likewise, things seem a certain way from your state of consciousness right now. You would swear some things are true, just like you would have when you were ten. At your age now, it’s obvious that some things you believed when you were ten were just not true. Same thing going on here. A few days, a few weeks, months, of your self talk momentum going in a more positive empowering direction, and you literally will not be able to recall the old state of consciousness. You’ll remember you were in the dumps, but you won’t be able to see from that perspective, even if you tried. 

It is enough to be attentive of negative self thoughts. The more you’re aware of them, the more you become aware of how they make up a story you’ve been telling, Understanding & clarity arises, and that is all that is ‘needed’.

I’d have a piece of paper in your pocket 24/7 that says:

Breathe from your stomach and relax your body.

- Thought

- Sensation

- Perception

When something arises, name the sensation in your body to extract the juice, or ‘get the clarity’. For example....

You experience anger, or frustration.....the initial response / understanding is that you are experiencing anger or frustration, as a whole....

But, name the sensation in your body

This might be...tension in my shoulders...queasy stomach...increased heartbeat...etc. (In the body)

Notice there is a thought story also present, and it is not the sensation. This thought story will involve you as a separate self, or someone else, and the past or future. It “takes you out of” The Now / True Self / Peaceful ease of Happiness.

See that the sensation is always guiding you, saying... 

“You can go into that perspective about yourself or that person, but it is not Truth(Love), so I (Truth/Love/You) can not go there with you”.

“You can go into the past or future story, but this now is the Truth (Peace/You), so I can not go there with you”

“You can go into stories about how you are limited, but I am pure potential, so I can not go there with you.”

So when keep you ‘going there’ anyways, in spite of your own sensational guidance - simply logically don’t expect it to feel good. You are literally being adverse to your own sensations. Of course it will not feel good. 

This is the path which reveals there are not two of you - the Truth/Sensation - and the “you” going somewhere.

Without the thought stories - there is Only  Truth/Love/Peace/Potential/Now

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

Thought

- Sensation

- Perception

What is perception in that case?

@youngshinzen 

Thought & sensation mixed = a thought story.

Thought story is about a false, second, separate you.

(You are always the right-now-awareness of thought stories. You are not in the thought story)

Believing that is “me” in the thought story, creates attachment to that “me”.

Attachment is a catalyst to create an idea of an identity.

That identity is now in every perspective, as priority 1 is the defense of this idea of who I am, this idea of identity.

Thought & sensation separated  (via practice) = no more believing thought stories about “me”, no more attachment-right-under-my-nose happening, no more belief in the story of me / identity. 

Identity-less “perspective” is revealed as pure perception. Reality as it is, as You actually are, inseparable One. 

One aware of perception. 

So “what is perception in that case”? 

Creation creating, spontaneously, joyously, freely. 

What is perception, most literally speaking?

I don’t know, because I am it. Reality as it is, without the distinction of “perceiver” and “perceived”. That perspective is forgotten, just like the consciousness of your ten your old...”self”.

(Probably doesn’t help you if I say perception is me)

do some research and see if you have an access bars therapist in your area !!! try it out I think this has big potential to heal ptsd !!!

@Keyhole Due to the manic phase I had I am cautious with taking any drugs. But nevertheless I‘m curious to know how it will work out for you and someday I might try it.

22 minutes ago, Keyhole said:

@Natasha I have the biggest crush on that guy, he's so cute and sweet and I love his accent. 

Haha me too. Great minds think alike B|

Sometimes I watch his videos just to watch him talk 9_9

@youngshinzen Yes, I had a full authentic release you can even look up the talk with Shinzen Young I had on the life pratice program, if you are interested I'll send you the link or give you my name, so you can listen to the talk yet I will tell you what happend and give a little bit of background, so you know I've been in a similar situation.

First of all, I was not bullied that much, yet people made occasionally fun of me because I reacted and found out that I have a temperament. When I was born I was operated and have a medium larger body deformation, I'll send you the link in German since I know you are German(or assume). https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymphangiom

The place where I have this, the chance of having it there is below 5%,  and if you google the pictures I am very very fortunate. Yet, this bothered me for sometime and definitely left some emotional scars during middle school. (It is not visible for anybody because it's around my hip..)

Now, I also lived in a 3 generation household and my grandma used to blame me for a lot of stuff and was very neurtoic and I received a lot of blaming and negative beliefs from here. She survived the 2 world war.. and had to flee from the Sudetenland , she was abused by her father physically (not sexually..) and he punshed her when she did not do what she was supposed to do. Anyway, this neurotic "energy" field was present. (Also, this is also not in the talk with Shinzen) and all of it was stored near my sternum or solar plexus. I still feel this today, but less intense.

Fast forward a lot of frustration and anger, feelings of low self-wort etc. gathered in there and this year at a weekend retreat I had two releases. 

I can explain the techniques also that I use and also the technique from Shiznen that I think is the most effective which would be flow and described also what @Nahm said with being mindful of the sensation, depth, span, intensity, movement etc.

What happend is ... it was a spontaneous release. I heard Shinzens voice at the beginning of the home practice retreat and cried immediately I just sat there, and heard his voice my body reacted and I cried I was thinking about feelings of not being able to care for others more compassionately, and also felt what I feel in general that people are heartless, I cried because I felt compassion and my solar plexus start pulsating upwards and downwards heavly as I cried. I saw the pulsating movement with my own eyes I could not believe it but had a similar intuition of this when I was working out. Then my mom came into the house and I felt I could not care for her I screamed and cried, it felt so good, yet afterwards my perception was quite different and still is I can work longer without frustration, I can feel anger more clearly without calling it necssarily ego or vulnerability. I had thes two releases and now this feelings is mostly gone. I certainly can work more and don't feel as much pressure in my sternum, a vortex of pain, an emotional scar, or an old wound, it is mostly gone. 

It felt as if steam was released through my sternum and chest and cleansing everything there is. Afterward I felt so vulnerable but so good, this was sooooooo neeeded and after this I tend to cry more, I agree with high vulnerability it's the same feeling I assume and can be overcome, it is also the feelings that triggers you or as a man where frustration is felt intensly. 

Shinzen told me these are kriyas and from the sanskrit root krr. and I told him it felt cathartic and he said basically yes that it is exactly that it is a full release of old accumulated pain some would even say past life times etc. Check the link below, yet the term he used then are samskaras these are like old grooves that forge their way into your body. I imagined it more rational for instance my nervous system is used to receiving negative hits, yet now when I treat it with mindfulness, there are releases for instance, this "high vulnerability" I had I craved sleep since I don't need to feel pain anymore... Deep sleep activates the repair mode of the brain and also lympathic system or so, and cleans your body of toxins all of these negative emotions are stored and can be released that is definitely the positive side ! AND SINCE I assume you are using shinzens techniques I DID IT WITH THE SAME TECHNIQUES !

It is 100% possible to get rid of this. Not sure where you feel it , yet I've seen similar posts on this forum about this issue do you feel it inside the sternum / solar plexus or somewhere else?

Also these are samskaras https://wiki.yoga-vidya.de/Samskara

No, I was not on any drugs or psychdelic or anything like that it just happend because I worked with the flavour for 4 years approx. The retreat did it for me, also the presence of shinzen and others during the retreat I truly enjoy them and can recommend taking it, if you are praticing under shinzens paradigm.

Wish you the best if you have any questiosn regarding this feel free to reply or send me a pm!

I'm looking for ways to release fear

Are all these suggestions useful for this?

Posted (edited)

*Edit*

Yes I have dealt with the same issues. Military family, abuse, death, too much internet.

This combined with these two videos for me in my path lead me to a step beyond. Note, I had done alot of preliminary self-inquiry before this happened for me, so your mileage may vary and other things may trigger a detachment. It is a process that requires practice.

Edited by The Dopamine Cleric

@youngshinzen sorry should have read closer to the post, it was mildly flippant (apologies) in hindsight, perhaps not - therapy is for sure the first line of treatment. I personally have found tremendous value in it and find it's far too stigmatised. I'm a big advocate for loving kindness meditation as it can often expose one's insecurities that lead them to suppress their pain and can cultivate more positive emotion and emotional expression, as well as being scientifically proven to help decrease PTSD and schizophrenia spectrum disorders, so hopefully you find use there.

I've never suffered what you've described however I have experience OCD before which was absolutely devastating, and I think a lack of compassion for oneself can hold us back immensely in our journey to recovery and personal growth, such an issue is not to be underestimated. Compassion for myself was absolutely critical for me in such a path. I hope it helps you like it did me.

Random suggestion also: Bioenergetics looks promising for bringing out suppressed emotions, maybe look there as well? 

All the best 

@youngshinzen I had many PTSD symptoms a few months ago, and after trying various techniques, here is what I found personally:

1) Meditation made it worse, especially because the emotions I was experiencing were about my existential nature. 

2) Yoga healed me 95%. That and other grounding techniques like basic personal development habits of living a grounded life. '

3) I recently returned to meditation after being mostly healed, and finding it beneficial now.