Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DrewNows

Core beliefs exercise (shifting negative belief patterns)

11 posts in this topic

This is a simple exercise Teal Swan shares on how to chase down core beliefs to deal with problems in our life. 

The goal is to chase down the root thought we hold in relation to the problems we see in our life so we can potentially change the core beliefs that cause us to be a vibrational match to these problems. The core belief will usually be a reflection of these problems. For example, the core belief, I am worthless, will attract people, circumstances and events that match this vibrational frequency. Once we have this root thought, we can start questioning this belief.

Pick a statement or judgement you have about someone or something that doesn't feel good and write it down

Now alternate between these two questions until you get to the root thought/belief

What does it mean to me?

or

Assuming that it's true, why is it bad? 

example: Statement/judgement: My friend is annoying because she never stops talking

What does it mean to me? It means she always has to say what's on her mind 

Assuming this is true why is it bad? well this is bad because people will think she sounds really dumb sometimes 

What does that mean to me?  If i say everything on my mind people will judge me and think I am dumb

Assuming this is true why is it bad? Because if people think i am dumb they may not think i am cool

What does this mean to me? People should care what others think of them/I need to care what people think of me (core belief) -

Turned around- people need to care what I think of them / people need to care what I think of me /I don’t need to care what people think of me / people don’t need to care what I think of them /I need to care what I think of people 

My judgement of her is my problem. In what areas of my life does this impact me?

This core belief also reveals I must act a certain way to be loved or accepted. Can i absolutely know that this is true? No.

(try it out on your own by writing something down) 

Edited by DrewNows
tweak

Eventually we may choose a stage where we are simply no longer concerned with our thoughts and rather, choose to focus or be aware of our energy body or vibrational frequency

Edited by DrewNows

Many forum members have the core belief people in authority will abuse authority. 

Judgment/ statement- that thread on blah blah shouldn’t have been closed or shut down. 

What does this mean to me? - this means I cannot trust this forum to have the best intentions for the people who come here for help on the spiritual path like myself. 

Assuming this is true Why is this bad? - this is bad because it defeats the purpose of the forum

what does this mean to me? I think the forum should be without any moderators because they don’t always look out for what’s best for members 

assuming this true why is it bad? It’s bad because I believe people with authority or power are going to abuse their power.  Core Belief 

This is a core belief we learn in childhood that is continuously reinforced in our experience. Only when we are able to change this belief will we see moderators as our equals and no longer see authority to be abusive 

people with authority or power are going to abuse their power 

is this true? Yes.

Can you absolutely know it’s true? No. 

How do you react, what happens when you believe that thought? I feel bad, like we have a corrupt system when there’s authority figures or moderators

who would you be without that thought? I guess I would simply be me, just content, unbothered by power of authority

Now turn it around (is the opposite as true the original?) 

people of authority or power are going to abuse their power

People of authority aren’t going to abuse their power 

Nice, thanks for posting. I meant to ask about core beliefs on the forum before, but never got around to it.

I will try this out!

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

@DrewNows I like this.

It goes hand in hand with this:

Yeah, the trick is to go all the way. Most people question very superficially without diving deep.

7 hours ago, DrewNows said:

Many forum members have the core belief people in authority will abuse authority. 

Judgment/ statement- that thread on blah blah shouldn’t have been closed or shut down. 

What does this mean to me? - this means I cannot trust this forum to have the best intentions for the people who come here for help on the spiritual path like myself. 

Assuming this is true Why is this bad? - this is bad because it defeats the purpose of the forum

what does this mean to me? I think the forum should be without any moderators because they don’t always look out for what’s best for members 

assuming this true why is it bad? It’s bad because I believe people with authority or power are going to abuse their power.  Core Belief 

That was hilarious. 

Kind of sounds like Katy Byron's the work,  but I could be wrong about that... 

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

5 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

That was hilarious. 

Kind of sounds like Katy Byron's the work,  but I could be wrong about that... 

Probably very similar to her judge your neighbor, and the following post is, when I did the turn around lol 

What about letting it all go. Without holding any belief. Be Lie. 

Being ok with Whatever arises and passes away.