Devansh Saharan

Sadhguru on psychedelics.

241 posts in this topic

Yesterday Sadhguru had a Mahasatsang in Delhi, I was present there, towards the end of the questionnaire, a meditator asked about psychedelics and ayahuasca retreats. 

Sadhguru made 3 basic points as far as I can remember (when comes to naming he just named LSD, I believe its very well possible he isn't aware of 5-Meo's existence) 

1. The high is always on and off, what you seek by psychedelics is just the high and you try the justify it in the same way any alcoholic would, "see I'm always high, no chemicals". He was very much against chemicals in every way and said that its all physical no matter what. What we're talking of is transcending it. 

2. He said there will be consequences of this, he didn't mention what though. 

3. And lastly he said if you think you're going to get Liberated by psychedelics, Best of Luck. 

So yeah, thought I should share this. 

Edit :

He also said another thing and he says this many times that if you use chemicals the next generation is going to be 'lesser' than you, which is a crime against humanity. Now I don't how what exactly he means but probably he's referring to some kind of genetic changes I believe. 

Edited by Devansh Saharan

Yeah and the psychedelics gang might retort saying Sadhguru must deny  psychedelics in order to keep his sadhguru business going on ?

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

Thank you for sharing this.

Honestly speaking I'm not in a position to speak for either of the sides (Sadhguru's or Psychedelics) as I'm neither enlightened nor an experienced Psychonaut.

However having said that, the chances of Sadhguru advocating for Psychedelics is super low even if it could have some benefit becauce he is looking at the big picture always when he is talking given that he is definitely a great example of Turquoise. 

He is a very socially aware person than most of us. He always speaks according to where the current society is at. If he does advocate for Psychedelics in the current society (which is mostly at Blue / Orange) in the world, it will not play well. If Sadhguru was speaking to a Yellow or higher audience, I think he will definitely talk about this differently. His words could affect thousands of people so he chooses them wisely.

Mystics always are in tune with their times.

Finally I am also not dismissing the idea that his actual knowledge of Psychedelics might be very limited but I am going with my first opinion 

Edited by Chi_

40 minutes ago, Preetom said:

Yeah and the psychedelics gang might retort saying Sadhguru must deny  psychedelics in order to keep his sadhguru business going on ?

"He's deluded and dogmatic"

9_9

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Devansh Saharan Phycedelics can give you a glimpse, but for too many people without proper support systems, disipline and ability to accept temporary insanity, they will end up becoming drug addicts. Phycedelics are like uncles. I haven't met certain uncles, so I will not speak on them. I'll leave that to the phycedlic researchers. Just know that some uncles don't have your best intention in mind.

@Chi_ yeah and also mystics that have awoke without pyschedelics won't see a need for them.  Its relative of course.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

18 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

@Chi_ yeah and also mystics that have awoke without pyschedelics won't see a need for them.  Its relative of course.

Yeah it makes sense where they are coming from 

56 minutes ago, Chi_ said:

Thank you for sharing this.

Honestly speaking I'm not in a position to speak for either of the sides (Sadhguru's or Psychedelics) as I'm neither enlightened nor an experienced Psychonaut.

However having said that, the chances of Sadhguru advocating for Psychedelics is super low even if it could have some benefit becauce he is looking at the big picture always when he is talking given that he is definitely a great example of Turquoise. 

He is a very socially aware person than most of us. He always speaks according to where the current society is at. If he does advocate for Psychedelics in the current society (which is mostly at Blue / Orange) in the world, it will not play well. If Sadhguru was speaking to a Yellow or higher audience, I think he will definitely talk about this differently. His words could affect thousands of people so he chooses them wisely.

Mystics always are in tune with their times.

Finally I am also not dismissing the idea that his actual knowledge of Psychedelics might be very limited but I am going with my first opinion 

Yes, very well put. 

Also the thing is in all of Spirituality, as in a traditional sense the only goal is Moksha, Liberation, and the way sadhguru explains about Karma, it looks like its way more than just your mind, and I believe there are levels of individuality beyond your body and mind, as the 5 Koshas that Sadhguru explains, and to transcend them you need to do the stuff, the necessary Sadhana. 

Nonetheless we don't know what exactly is Sadhguru's perspective in its totality on this matter, all we can do is maybe have both and see for ourselves. 

20 minutes ago, Devansh Saharan said:

there are levels of individuality beyond your body and mind, as the 5 Koshas that Sadhguru explains, and to transcend them you need to do the stuff, the necessary Sadhana. 

Nonetheless we don't know what exactly is Sadhguru's perspective in its totality on this matter, all we can do is maybe have both and see for ourselves. 

Yeah and to transend these levels with psychedelics alone is beyond my knowledge. It gets even more complicated when you think about how simple self-inquiry got Ramana Maharshi and many others deeply enlightened as well. How did that work in the framework of all these levels that Sadhguru speaks? Maybe there is a cut out answer but definitely the deeper you go, the more questions you get. 

So I've chosen to not over complicate this simple life with too much theory and just do my practices / sadhana and enjoy life. But that's hard being on this forum :D

1 hour ago, Devansh Saharan said:

Also the thing is in all of Spirituality, as in a traditional sense the only goal is Moksha, Liberation, and the way sadhguru explains about Karma, it looks like its way more than just your mind, and I believe there are levels of individuality beyond your body and mind, as the 5 Koshas that Sadhguru explains, and to transcend them you need to do the stuff, the necessary Sadhana. 

I feel like he really went deep here but you missed most of it :D if you want to understand what sadhguru is saying then you need to know what is karma and what is liberation. Only then you'll understand what sadhguru is telling you when he says " if you think you're going to get Liberated by psychedelics, Best of Luck."

His answer has nothing to do with the audience in this case. 

Even if he spoke with monks he would still say the same thing that psychedelics play no role in dissolution. It becomes very logical and clear once you dive deeper into sadhguru's teachings. 

It's okey... There was one joke sadhguru told about Fish smell and vasanas. First time i read it it was about 2years ago and yesterday I was walking the dog and it suddenly hit me, I saw the point of that joke so clearly. :D i thought.. Damn sadhguru is genius. That's how he teaches. Once he says something even if you don't understand anything the seed is in you. One day when the time is right it will sprout into huge wisdom. 

"If you get the joke you laugh, if you don't get the joke, you become a part of the joke" #sadhguru

Edited by Salvijus

I think people miss the point Sadhguru attempts to convey in regard to psychedelics. They were not what enlightened him and for many yogi’s neither did they use them either. It does not mean they are not of use.

He also explains psychedelics are also not a necessity. Which is true, enlightenment is possible without them. This is a common point he conveys. Risks may be low but from what he explains a more natural approach is what he implores.

In a western context they are of great use due to the maximal multiplicity of distortions the western culture has created. India was founded on individuals going deep within early before distortions crept in. A lot of us are beyond the point of ‘simply’ introspecting for enlightenment. That is why they show such significance here. Because we are psychologically backward.

Not to mention Sadhguru is probably aware advocating psychedelics to a deluded audience may just delude them more. As their intentions in using them would be coming from a place of neurosis.

Just because he has not used them or sees no use in them, does not mean he is deluded. It just means they are outside of his necessity. Which really shows his level of transcendence. Not to mentioned he is probably far more enlightened than most who use them.

Ps. I have not done them yet but am an advocate for their responsible usage. Something I plan on doing in the near future.

Edited by Jacobsrw

3 hours ago, Devansh Saharan said:

Yesterday Sadhguru had a Mahasatsang in Delhi, I was present there, towards the end of the questionnaire, a meditator asked about psychedelics and ayahuasca retreats. 

Sadhguru made 3 basic points as far as I can remember (when comes to naming he just named LSD, I believe its very well possible he isn't aware of 5-Meo's existence) 

1. The high is always on and off, what you seek by psychedelics is just the high and you try the justify it in the same way any alcoholic would, "see I'm always high, no chemicals". He was very much against chemicals in every way and said that its all physical no matter what. What we're talking of is transcending it. 

2. He said there will be consequences of this, he didn't mention what though. 

3. And lastly he said if you think you're going to get Liberated by psychedelics, Best of Luck. 

So yeah, thought I should share this. 

Edit :

He also said another thing and he says this many times that if you use chemicals the next generation is going to be 'lesser' than you, which is a crime against humanity. Now I don't how what exactly he means but probably he's referring to some kind of genetic changes I believe. 

@Devansh Saharan

It should be noted that Sadguru has never done psychedelics. Those are good guesses by him but how would he know? Dont assume that just because someone is enlightened that they no longer have false beliefs. If that wasnt true then all enlightened people would agree on everything.

He also strongly condemns occult type powers yet he admits to his followers that he uses them. 

http://shalomplace.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/19110765/m/286304744 -

"Sadhguru told a group of us that, years ago, while he was working vigorously to build his temple in India, he ‘called on’ various souls with specific energies to come into human form for the sake of assisting him with his mammoth project. I’ll never forget his words, nearly verbatim: “After all, you are playing with the very energies of creation. You must approach this with reverence.” 

This above act is the same process of Tibetan monks creating Tulpas or how people create servitors with witchcraft or chaos magick. 

Be careful of following anyone blindly, no matter who they are. That is a spiritual weakness. 

Edited by Matt8800

I think the argument that sadhguru never tryed psychedelics is also ridiculous because he can produce his own 5meo from inside. Like he says human body is the most sophisticated chemical factory. It can produce things that no external imput can ever comapare to it. 

Many good points by everyone here :)

7 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

I think the argument that sadhguru never tryed psychedelics is also ridiculous because he can produce his own 5meo from inside. Like he says human body is the most sophisticated chemical factory. It can produce things that no external imput can ever comapare to it. 

You could just as easily say he can turn into a unicorn at will. 

Regarding his legit powers, his spiritual powers can be easily reproduced by many occultist. I would resist thinking he is something above what others can do.

Edited by Matt8800

16 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

I feel like he really went deep here but you missed most of it :D if you want to understand what sadhguru is saying then you need to know what is karma and what is liberation. Only then you'll understand what sadhguru is telling you when he says " if you think you're going to get Liberated by psychedelics, Best of Luck."

Yeah I see what you mean. This is where psychedelics don't make sense to me anymore, in terms of karma. 

BTW what was the joke? 

20 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

Even if he spoke with monks he would still say the same thing that psychedelics play no role in dissolution. It becomes very logical and clear once you dive deeper into sadhguru's teachings. 

It's okey... There was one joke sadhguru told about Fish smell and vasanas. First time i read it it was about 2years ago and yesterday I was waking the dog and it suddenly hit me, I saw the point of that joke so clearly. :D i thought.. Damn sadhguru is genius. That's how he teaches. Once he says something the seed is in you. One day when the time is right it will sprout into huge wisdom. 

"If you get the joke you laugh, if you don't get the joke, you become a part of the joke" #sadhguru

Thats like saying, "If you think you are going to get liberated using meditation, best of luck."

Does that make sense to you? Both meditation AND psychedelics have been important tools to my liberation.

20 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

It's okey... There was one joke sadhguru told about Fish smell and vasanas. First time i read it it was about 2years ago and yesterday I was waking the dog and it suddenly hit me, I saw the point of that joke so clearly. :D i thought.. Damn sadhguru is genius. That's how he teaches. Once he says something even if you don't understand anything the seed is in you. One day when the time is right it will sprout into huge wisdom. 

Indeed, he really is beyond, the subtle things he says, subtle statements which we can just take for common good old wisdom at first have such profound meanings. 

Yes I intend to really go deep into Karma, but for now I have limited my theoretical intake, it's just been too much. 

Thanks for the insights. 

Lol some of you people. Let's hope Sadhguru never tells you to jump off a bridge.