Falk

6 Hours Strong Determination Sitting

51 posts in this topic

On 7.5.2016 at 1:32 AM, Nic said:

@Falk Hi Falk

Yeah, I posted this in case you really wanted to make a habit out of it and for general knowledge... I just learned about that too, I mean who would have thought about it, we seat so much since school...! Seating one or two hours a day should be fine. For my part I still seat a lot (today 6h!) because of my hobby, even though I could do it standing up but I'm just lazy, I love to seat down, chill & play... But hey, apparently the body doesn't like it. And we can see this with the amounts of back, neck problems rising seating at work, but it is apparently only the tip of the iceberg, as we generally will age sooner if we don't keep moving and play with the attraction of the earth. But I don't think people are fat because they sit a lot, I think they are for most of them fat because of their diet.

So what I do now is standing up more often, thank to this convinsing information, I try to make a habit out of it.

Take care

Cool what´s your hobby? guitar right? i´m also a guitar player xD what kind of music do you play?

I just learned some jazz standart versions ... just finished "dream a little dream of me" on accoustic ...

@Falk

I answered via PM...;)

Who Am I to judge? When I think I know, I don't know that I don't know.

"Things don't change when they are understood. Understanding reinforces the intellect (the ego). The seeker has to make room to the meditative state."

58 minutes ago, brovakhiin said:

Well, there are plenty of monks that sit for hours on end, and they all look pretty healthy.

What I mean is, there's this general fear of all possible kinds of things in the west. Fear of this food, fear of that virus, fear of unhygiene, fear of all kinds of things. The western person just needs to be scared of something all the time, there'sjust a crazy amount of unconscious fearmongering going on in society for all kinds of things. I don't think it's fundamentally any different with being scared of sitting too long, in the end, it's the actual fear of whatever is is you're scared of that screws you over a la placebo of some sort.

I don't think monks sit on chairs or lie in their beds... this is the problems here, read my previous post and watch the video. Sitting in full lotus on the floor doesn't seem to be a problem as it requires some effort in a level that is no perceivable by the eyes, like a yoga position. The less effort you'll do, the less healthy is going to be on the long run.

"Things don't change when they are understood. Understanding reinforces the intellect (the ego). The seeker has to make room to the meditative state."

As far as I can remember, they also talked about the worst chairs to seat on, like the very confortable rolling chairs with armrest you never want and have to stand up. The more a chair is inconfortable, the more it makes you want to move.

@Falk

Quick (common) question. I know someone asked couple posts ago something similar to this but I'll ask anyway:

I have serious problems keeping my spine straight since I collapse almost immediately when I start to relax. Feels totally impossible to keep my spine straight and relax at the same time. I was just wondering that though it's not allowed to move, should I still let myself straighten my spine because in this case, I'm not doing that because I want comfort. It's actually opposite. It would cause more discomfort to be mindful of...

So whats your advice guys? Am I "allowed" to do that? Is it still considered sds?

@LateBloomer hey :) your question was kinda answered at the top of this page!

As a beginner in sds Just moove as much as necessary to continue the practice, but as few as possible! 

Just make shure the enlightenment-police isn´t watching while you moove thou, otherwise they might sentence you to reincarnation as hitler or smth ...not fun!

@cetus56 I'm curious.. do you perchance know how one could close the doors of perception? I know stopping meditation, binge eating at Mcdonalds and watching a lot of television could do the trick.. but is there an actual technique to quickly bring the senses back to their average capacity? 

22 minutes ago, The Village Idiot said:

@cetus56 I'm curious.. do you perchance know how one could close the doors of perception? I know stopping meditation, binge eating at Mcdonalds and watching a lot of television could do the trick.. but is there an actual technique to quickly bring the senses back to their average capacity? 

How to close the doors of perception? That's a new one! How far open are they now?

@cetus56 Not too far open yet. I enter into states of consciousness where it can be harder to relate and communicate to others though. When i'm on meditation walks it's odd to see a friend and try to have conversation with them. I'll be so concentrated on thoughts and feeling and unraveling the hollowness of them that jumping into a conversation will have me fumbling for words. If not fumbling I just say some "interesting" and contextually out of place stuff. Fortunately I think I just found the answer to my question. Shinzen Young talks about using "focus on positive" (if you're not familiar with that, basically you just consciously bring about positive emotions and thoughts.) to combat meditation induce DPDR. I don't have dpdr. That being said, I do experience the world as being dreamy, and my thoughts and emotions not being "my" thoughts and emotions (after meditating for awhile). So I figure, while not closing the door of perceptions but rather focusing the already opened doors on positive image, self talk and emotions.. I'll be more readily able to have meaningful conversations with people. Instead of being spaced out and appearing aloof and detached (I really enjoy these states but unfortunately the inner tranquility isn't as visible from the outside.) Anyways, I wouldn't have had the idea to look into this if it weren't for your comments. Thank you :)

@The Village Idiot No rush to do anything.  I'm saying. just let it all gel. Sometimes it's best to back off for a while and let everything just fall into place. The big picture will evolve of it's own.