Preetom

Mapping Out Leo's Psychedelic Insights Within Vedantic Perspective

163 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mikael89 said:

Since you people are talking so much about creation.. nothing is really created

Guess I'm one of the "you people", so I'll comment.

The world appearance is a superimposition upon Brahman. Like the snake and the rope. Names and forms appear to be something other than Brahman itself. 

You discriminate in Vedanta, to distinguish between whats real and what's apparently real (or a reflection).

However, Isvara (God) being also an appearance, therefore a superimposition, does presume the role of creator, sustainer, destroyer of the universe according to Advaita Vedanta. 

...Isvara appears as it's own creation. So, whatever you see is an aspect of God "manifested"...but fundamentally the creation is really formless, attributeless, limitless Brahman. Just as the wave and the ocean are fundamentally water, but Brahman itself is forever untouched by any of it, such is why it can be called an illusion or dream.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

You guys just like to overthink and then get lost in the labyrinths of the mind.

(Did you know?)

4 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

You guys just like to overthink and then get lost in the labyrinths of the mind.

(Did you know?)

Thing is, once you know who you are, not just in thought. You can let it all go for your own purposes, but that doesn't really help someone else make the same Self-realization. 

Neo-Advaita only gets you so far in my humble opinion.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 

And how is overthinking going to solve that problem exactly? I think it only makes it worse.

P.S. I had no idea I was talking Neo-Advaita until you mentioned it. You see how simple it is? It requires no knowledge.

Edited by Truth Addict

1 minute ago, Truth Addict said:

@Anna1 

And how is overthinking going to solve that problem exactly? I think it only makes it worse.

P.S. I had no idea I was talking Neo-Advaita until you mentioned it.

I don't think I'm over thinking. It seems that way to you and probably others, because they don't know the teaching. I'm not here to convince you to go the Advaita Vedanta route, the teaching is there for anyone not satisfied with their current teachings. It's thousands of years old and doesn't need a sales pitch.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1

I never "accused" you in specific of overthinking ?

The ultimate teaching is no-teaching.

By the way, if you don't think that you're overthinking, then you're probably overthinking. When you really don't overthink, you know it, you don't guess.

Edited by Truth Addict

@Truth Addict I assumed since I was recently posting that it was inferred.

Yes, sure, go the no teaching route. Good luck with that...

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1

Once you have eaten from the tree, you have become cursed. And now you will always remain its captive until you shit whatever you've eaten ?

(I made some edits in my previous posts).

Edited by Truth Addict

9 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

By the way, if you don't think that you're overthinking, then you're probably overthinking. When you really don't overthink, you know it, you don't guess.

Um, lol, that was my opinion, not a guessing.

My opinion is that-

"I DON'T THINK I'M OVER THINKING"

?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

11 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

@Anna1

Once you have eaten from the tree, you have become cursed. And now you will always remain its captive until you shit what you've eaten ?

(I made some edits in my previous posts).

If you read my other post I was basically saying that once you are Self-realized you "don't" need the teachings anymore (shit what you've eaten).

It's only worthwhile to discuss if helping someone else become Self-realized...or to understand the cosmos and how things work according to Advaita Vedanta. 

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1

Brahman is self aware is not aware of anything else other than itself.Brahman is neither the doer nor the experiencer.

Ego the reflected conciousness is always aware of the mind and mind control the senses.

So in short ego is the perceiver or reflected awareness.

Or in otherwords ego is the subject.Can ego know itself - no it cannot as it can never be aware of itself but all other than itself.

The ego cannot know the brahman as well.

So whats the purpose of witnessing(saakshi) or self enquiry on the subject ?

Pls clarify.

@Preetom  

6 minutes ago, Jkris said:

Brahman is self aware is not aware of anything else other than itself.Brahman is neither the doer nor the experiencer.

Hi,

I'm not a teacher. Actually, I'm even bad at explaining this stuff. But, I'll try. If I'm off, I assume Preetom will correct me.?

Brahman is aware, but not of objects, as it's perspective (although it doesnt truly have one) is that there is nothing but it. However, Brahman plus mind is Jiva (apparent person), then is capable of knowing, perceiving, etc.

Ego questions- yes, ego is reflected awareness, but so is all manifestation both subtle and gross.

It's the mind that is aware of ego, not the ego aware of mind (ie, many ppl say, "my ego..."). Think of it this way, ego is the "I" thought within the mind. Also, it's mind aware of the bodily senses.

Ego "can" realize its real nature is Brahman/awareness, once Self-Realization or enlightenment happens. It can process the information gained from the experience into Self-knowledge.

If it could not there wouldn't be books written, YT videos, etc. of enlightened ppl teaching. It takes a certain amount of ego to perform such activities. 

Purpose of Self-inquiry: discrimination between whats real and what's reflected awareness and become Self-realized, know your true nature as Brahman.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

47 minutes ago, Jkris said:

@Anna1

Ego the reflected conciousness is always aware of the mind and mind control the senses.

So in short ego is the perceiver or reflected awareness.

Or in otherwords ego is the subject.Can ego know itself - no it cannot as it can never be aware of itself but all other than itself.

The ego cannot know the brahman as well.

So whats the purpose of witnessing(saakshi) or self enquiry on the subject ?

Pls clarify.

@Preetom  

sri sadhu om in the book "the path of sri Ramana part 1" elaborately discussed this topic. You should read it in order to gain clarity about self inquiry.

You are right that the mind/ego can never know the Self. Its very existence is to attend to things other than itself, and thats exactly how it sustains its dominance in spite of being a fictitious entity. It sustains itself through inadvertance.

But the moment one starts to scrutinize the subject itself, the mind starts to lose its ground. Before, the mind was all about doing or paying attention. But the moment it relinquishes that doing, that same attention ceases to be a paying and becomes Being.

The mind loses its mean name and form and itself shines as the Self. More accurately it was already the case and the mind was simply a false superimposition.

So the mind never knows Self, nor the Self requires self inquiry or any sadhana to know itself.

Self-inquiry really means this Being or sinking the mind into the Self. It seems like an activity of the mind in the start but it eventually reveals Being and that is real self inquiry.

Another important distinction is there between this being/self-inquiry and witnessing. They arent necessarily the same. One can witness 2nd and 3rd person objects for years and that wont result in self realization. 

So its not about witnessing thoughts or things but exclusively focusing on the subject (the 1st person singular feeling I)

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

8 hours ago, zeroISinfinity said:

@Preetom Infinite Love is all That is and yet he says he never experienced it and hopes one day he will. 

Here is the thing guys. Scriptures are like watching NBA games and knowing all players stats etc. But playing Basketball on court makes you Basketball player. So practises Will get you real actual answers. You Will become the answer. 

True. But studying, analyzing other players, rules, practices, splitting hairs at times for pinpoint accuracy and then leaving all of that at times for spontaneity to take over- all of those  are part of being a good basketball player.

Without all that, one would look like a deluded monkey running after a ball in the court ?

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@Aakash

I am not gonna argue with you. And honestly most things you say nowadays sounds incorrehent and pretty much goes over my head. But I can sorta sense a similar trap you might be falling into. Im writing this as I've been there done that.

We can conceptualize enlightenment to such a degree that at some point we might create an illusion that we've understood it all and call ourselves enlightened. We forget that there is really an actual side of it and instead get nested into the stories formulated about the actual thing.

Its like say i've studied billionaires for a decade so much so that I conceptually know in and out about that whole business- i least i think i do. There is a very good possibility of falling into trap of thinking along the lines of "oh I know everything about what its like to be a billionaire" - this attitude can create the illusion that i have made it while forgetting that there is infact an 'actual' thing like really being a billionaire.

Or it might go another way as well. After reducing conceptually everything and still feeling frustrated(obviously),  i might now start a crusade of bashing the billionaires. Why did those fuckers ever become billionaire or ever introduced such a thing in the first place?

Basically if i cant grasp the real thing, let me at least bring it down at my own level using my concepts. Oh my almighty concepts!

Hope you read between the lines and dont take anything personally. Its all part of the process and we all tend to stay a little too long in these dark trenches depending on our tendencies...until we sober up eventually.

Take care

@akash

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@Preetom Yes Preetom, you are correct. Thank you. ?

1 hour ago, Preetom said:

Basically if i cant grasp the real thing, let me at least bring it down at my own level using my concepts. Oh my almighty concepts!

Yes you are right, my own wanting for the life I envisioned is the reason my almighty concepts are my way. 

Thanks , it’s okay I’ve given up now. So I look forward to doing the practices and becoming a force of change.