CreamCat

I think there are blind spots in Leo's videos.

19 posts in this topic

• Leo's videos often focus on general topics.
    General topics like journaling and purpose of life can adjust your mindset and have tangible effects in the long term.
    However, they are often too general to be effective in the short term. The problem is that if you remain clueless and keep backsliding in the short term, you can easily screw up personal development in the long term. It's also often too general for a person's specific circumstances.
  • There are specific ways to work on certain areas of life. Most people are similar to each other.
    For example, how can one build proper foundation in various aspects of each stage of Spiral Dynamics? How to build proper Green idealism? Which areas of life should people pay attention to? What are specific concrete ways to work on those areas of life? Talking about specific instructions to improve areas of your life can sound restrictive, but it can help in many cases.
  • I understand that Leo doesn't have enough time to cover every topic and prefers to speak about generic topics.
    Thus, if you want instructions that are more specific, search for other personal development teachers.
    I find that specific personal development topics dovetail well with Leo's general topics.
    When long-term personal development meets short-term personal development, I see powerful results.
  • Leo prefers to live in isolation. So, there may be some biases when he talks about relationship topics.
    • He told us that he had problems with asking help to co-workers when he had a job. That was because he wanted radical responsibility.
    • So, relationship may be one of Leo's blind spots.
    • A personal development teacher who maintains deep relationships could talk about society differently because one's view about relationships can affect one's view about society. Contrast Leo with other teachers so that you become aware of biases.
  • Leo has relatively conservative biases in personal development.
    • He expects to become unable to work at 65 so that he can finish all his major projects by the age of 65. That's a conservative estimate.
    • He tries not to scare people by talking about things conservatively. But, that can be less inspiring than inspiring people to become superheroes.
      As he said, losing 5 pounds doesn't inspire much, but losing 50 pounds inspires people a lot.
    • He doesn't advocate going all out on personal development, but going all out can be inspiring.
Edited by CreamCat

15 hours ago, possibilities said:

What is your definition of hero?
What is your view of the word super in hero?

A hero is someone who puts extraordinary effort into the ordinary stuff for oneself and others.

A superhero is a hero who does so at superhuman levels.

17 hours ago, possibilities said:

the implicit emphasis on spoon feeding

It's not spoon-feeding. It's called specific instructions. Lots of people give specific instructions without feeding them to people with spoons.

Leo focuses mostly on what is. What works is different from what is. What works can be boiled down to narrower theories and specific instructions.

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat  You cannot achieve good results after a long time of working hard, if you first don't work for a short time, that's not how it works. This is not some basic stuff, Enlightenment work is hardcore. Also by not directly telling you what to do, he makes you to do that research yourself, he is not interested in making an army of turquoise clones. 

22 hours ago, Rebec said:

IMG_4922.PNG

A perfectionist see faults in others because he doesnt allow himself to make mistakes. How the others dare to be so imperfect!

@CreamCat Of course there are blind spots. Everything has its blind spots, that's because perspective is inherently limited.

That does not mean Leo is wrong or anything. There's still a lot, to be honest, I can never stress how valuable Leo's work is to me.

People who would even argue against the OP are just unconsciously worshipping Leo.

@Rebec Hold on, that doesn't sound like Rumi.

On 22. 6. 2019 at 3:33 PM, CreamCat said:
  • He doesn't advocate going all out on personal development, but going all out can be inspiring.

I disagree :) From my POV, he does advocate going all out, and he goes all out. 

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Like a Mc Donald’s employee who wants to help their team. Are they really a hero though?

Little goals like saving a day at McDonald's don't motivate me at all. Personally, I aim to become a mythic superhero in my field of work. To me, the alternative to aim ridiculously high is to live an uninspired life. Lesser goals aren't worth heroic efforts.

You can find superheroes in marvel movies. Real-life superheroes would be superhuman in their human abilities including discipline, resourcefulness, charisma, etc, ... They would also want to help others unlike supervillains who would use their superhuman abilities to their own selfish ends. I think this explanation is detailed enough.

I think you have doubts about using superhero as a powerful tool of personal development.
If you are against this idea, it's likely that you are going to keep doubting or questioning.
I don't feel like convincing a person who is going to keep questioning.

On super hero, I don’t know if any exist so how do you propose Leo could teach this?

Leo will not mention superhero. That's not his style. Different people say different things. It's diversity.

I don't want him to change his style. I merely wanted him to be aware of his biases.

Edited by CreamCat

59 minutes ago, possibilities said:

if critical thinking isn't your style, then that's all good I can perfectly respect that and I'll disengage from conversation

I usually use vision logic or vision thinking when I motivate myself. Critical thinking is counterproductive when I want motivation.

Critical thinking is but a minor piece in the big picture of personal development.
Critical thinking alone can easily make you depressed and distract you from the big picture. It is not enough.

There are other things like relationship, sleep, water, food, breathing, drive, power, respect, discipline, vision, resourcefulness, money mindset, creativity, etc, ... Going all out means developing yourself in all of those areas of personal development to superhuman levels. It will take many years. But, that's what I'm aiming.

For example, just by improving sleep, food, water, exercise, breathing, and relationship, you gain a lot more clarity than you would by focusing on critical thinking.

So, I don't focus much on critical thinking.

Edited by CreamCat

Leo focuses on big topics so you can see the big picture. You have to connect the dots to make the big concepts, that are too general, to small day to day concepts. And you are right that Leo doesn’t do that because it is your job to do that. Every person’s “maze” is different. It is your belief that the maze Leo is in is different than yours and you are probably right. 

Edited by StarStruck

21 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

Leo doesn’t do that because it is your job to do that. Every person’s “maze” is different.

I think it's Leo's style. Although every person's maze is different, most people's mazes are similar.

That's why specific instructions or narrow concepts can work for most people although they are not general concepts.

For example, sleep is not a general concept, but it applies to everyone. You can boil sleep down to a few key principles or rules that most people can apply easily. In a recent video, Leo boiled resourcefulness down to a matter of asking a lot of high-quality questions consistently over time.

As Leo explained, different teachers have different preferences for cons and pros of each approach.

Edited by CreamCat

14 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

I think it's Leo's style. Although every person's maze is different, most people's mazes are similar.

That's why specific instructions or narrow concepts can work for most people although they are not general concepts.

For example, sleep is not a general concept, but it applies to everyone. You can boil sleep down to a few key principles or rules that most people can apply easily.

As Leo explained, different teachers have different preferences for cons and pros of each approach.

Every person’s life purpose is different but I agree there are overarching principles and concepts, those ones he discusses, for example he makes videos on the following topics: mastery, strategy, creativity, responsibility and so on. 

Your job is to take these general topics and apply it to your own life. He is still busy with covering wide range of topics. I agree the specific instructions for every life purpose isn’t covered. That is why it is important to not only depend on him but to look for other sources: finding books for your own life purpose, specific seminars, finding life coach and so on. 

Are there any topics you want Leo to cover? I’m curious what they are. You can actually do requests in one of the sub forums. 

Edited by StarStruck

1 minute ago, StarStruck said:

Are there any topics you want Leo to cover?

No. I just wanted to share Leo's blind spots and biases. For example, the fact that he is a lone wolf already injects biases into his comments and his videos.

You do not understand critical thinking enough, this will hinder your personal growth in this and every other area of your personal development because critical thinking is literally the bedrock for strategic long term change.

resilience (i.e. okay I'm experiencing this I'll sit through this emotion), anticipation (i.e. okay I experienced this before therefore I know that if I start thinking about this in this way I may experience similar events) and strategy (i.e. when I experience this here is the strategy I will implement to overcome) and feedback analysis

I've learned better theories. I think TJ Reeves is substantially better. I think you place too much importance on a single piece of personal development. I don't resonate with your approach.

What is your track record? Do you stick to regular sleep schedule? Do you meditate everyday? How good is your discipline? How many hours do you exercise a week? How capable are you of creating innovative ideas in your field of work? Do you have impressive muscles?

Edited by CreamCat

That's bold statements without results.

Edited by CreamCat

8 hours ago, Shiva said:

@CreamCatWhy even bother about this? There is certainly a lot of value in the videos. They are not perfect but who cares? Take the value and then leave it be!

To me this is just like criticizing a movie for historical or scientific inaccuracies. Why even bother? Just enjoy the movie.

Expect any resources to have certain strengths and weaknesses and Blind spots. That's why it's important to not solely rely on Leo to deliver everything to your doorstep. Read different books, learn from different teachers and triangulate. This is critical!

It's not a movie. It's educational videos. I care about blind spots and biases when I learn educational materials such that I know how to complement weaknesses with other learning materials.