Natasha

For All Chocolate Lovers

30 posts in this topic

Lets discuss the health benefits and pros/cons of different kinds of chocolate and why we crave it.

Include cacao too.

Pure cocoa is a nature's superfood that cannot be challenged by too many. The list of benefits for humans is super long. But to maximise them a 100% dark from organic (and ideally sustainable, non exploitative) source eaten in limited amounts (up to 30g) every day .  Here is a few benefits of mostly 100% dark but to an extend the lesser ones (not dairy because dairy and sugar destroy many of these benefits)

• Extremely rich in fibre
  • Helpful in combating systemic inflammation because it inhibits something called NfKB signalling pathway, which is behind a lot of chronic stubborn inflammation. Most known fruits have this same effect.  
  • Cocoa contains incredibly potent antioxidant cocktail, in fact its antioxidant count per 100g one of the highest on ORAC score. This helps: 
    • protect neurons from oxidative damage potentially slowing onset of degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's
    • protect blood vessels from oxidation damage, a suspected cause of atherosclerosis.  Eating high quality dark chocolate DRAMATICALLY reduced cardiovascular mortality in research. 
    • helpful for erectile dysfunction because it creates a lot of nitric oxide
  • Helpful for people suffering from signs of Metabolic Syndrome as it is helpful in raising insulin sensitivity, reducing cholesterol and blood pressure. 
  • In obese people sugar free dark chocolate was found to normalise some neurotransmitters which induce excessive hunger such as CCK, GLP-1 and leptin. 
  • Powerful booster of immunity and balance of cytokines and histamine
  • Lot of research is being done on cancer and some of it compounds (shown below) have been shown even on humans to reduce growth of tumours and chance of getting cancer in first place. 
  • contains Quercitin, natural antioxidant, anticancer agent and useful compound in prevention of allergic reactions
  • contains Luteolin, a carotene in the eye protective from retina degeneration and cataracts
  • contains Naringenin, very protective for diabetics from neuronal damage (but sugar in most chocolates is harmful for them :( so only 100% dark recommended) 
  • Contains Proanthocyanins and Anthocyanins, that are also found in most berries and very cardioprotective and cancer protective
  • contains Epicatechins that are protective for liver, heart, blood vessels and brain. 
  • contains reasonable amount of caffeine which can be good to boost productivity but not to give the nasty energy crash. 

And much much more !!!

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

4 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

sugar in most chocolates is harmful for them :( so only 100% dark recommended) 

Yes, I try to eat at least 70% cocoa dark and sometimes with a bit of honey or some sweet fruit/dry fruit (like cherries, dates, raisins, etc). And I also add a bit of raw organic cocoa to my smoothies.

Thanks for the great post, lots of information there!

I believe its amazing for detoxifying the body and activating the pineal gland but i believe there should be breaks because it contains a truck load of chemicals and can end up over-stimulating your nervous system which you don't want if you value Enlightenment, Spirituality ect...

Same for all other foods or substances that can stimulate or excite you in any way, now cacao is far more subtle and in my opinion superior to coffee but it can catch up to the same negative effects if you dose heavy every day.

I prefer large dose ceremonial cacao and do it every once in a while and maybe once or twice a week i have small dose raw cacao powder with my smoothies but i do take time as this is important.

If you want to detox and nourish your cells with goodness you are most probably deficient in i would probably do 1 month on and 1 month off or 3 weeks on 1 week off or something sensible like that.

Edited by Curiousobserver

Did someone mention chocolate? ?

I heard in the past chocolate cravings can be lessened by taking chromium supplement. I've had mixed results with experiments in the past with this. It's maybe time to for me to experiment again.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

@Zigzag Idiot I thought it was magnesium? Maybe I'm wrong. 

The lead and cadmium levels in chocolate concern me, everything in moderation. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

6 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

The lead and cadmium levels in chocolate concern me, everything in moderation. 

If it's organic, metal traces shouldn't be an issue, I would think.

@mandyjw In a google search just now, this article mentions both magnesium and chromium.

https://www.realbuzz.com/articles-interests/nutrition/article/5-food-cravings-conquered/

You're right about magnesium. It gives chromium deficiency as the reason more for sugar cravings.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

2 minutes ago, Natasha said:

If it's organic, metal traces shouldn't be an issue, I would think.

Lead and cadmium occur naturally and they don't know exactly why or how chocolate gets contaminated with it. Certain veggies like brussel sprouts can have high lead levels too. 

https://www.health.com/food/there-may-be-lead-in-your-chocolate-heres-why-you-shouldnt-freak-out

I think that every food is likely contaminated with something or other. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

2 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

Lead and cadmium occur naturally and they don't know exactly why or how chocolate gets contaminated with it. Certain veggies like brussel sprouts can have high lead levels too. 

https://www.health.com/food/there-may-be-lead-in-your-chocolate-heres-why-you-shouldnt-freak-out

I think that every food is likely contaminated with something or other. 

Cool, I'll look into it.

39 minutes ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

I heard in the past chocolate cravings can be lessened by taking chromium supplement.

yop, chromium helps regulate blood sugar levels, its usually very depleted in diabetics. Great note ! 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Leo recommends 80%+ on the dark chocolate for good reason.

I personally do 72-78% because I have a sweet tooth but I'm not gonna kid myself and pretend I'm being healthy; I know I'm eating sugar ;)

It's Love.

I eat 90 percent dark chocolate from time to time, but not as much or as often as I should. I love chocolate anything.

5 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I love white chocolate :x

Even though doesn't have much to do with actual chocolate xD 

I know, white chocolate is the best... and it's not xD

Theobromine. Is similar to LSD if you eat 50 or 100g of dark chocolate or cocoa beans.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

The craving for chocolate is more a magnesium issue than anything else. @Hellspeed Yes i experience subtle psilocybin mushroom-like experience when i do ceremonial cacao 28g - 42g or higher. I feel wired and am able to disconnect from the mind/thoughts.

11 minutes ago, Curiousobserver said:

Yes i experience subtle psilocybin mushroom-like experience when i do ceremonial cacao 28g - 42g or higher. I feel wired and am able to disconnect from the mind/thoughts.

Very interesting. How do you do ceremonial cacao?

Received a nice little Free pdf from a company I just bought cocoa nibs from via amazon. Thought I'd share!

the Cacao Manual.pdf

We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

“Take the lowest place, and you shall reach the highest.” 

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

2 minutes ago, SoothedByRain said:

Received a nice little Free pdf from a company I just bought cocoa nibs from via amazon. Thought I'd share!

the Cacao Manual.pdf

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely read it.

When I was into low carb diets two years ago, I discovered 99% cacao dark chocolate from Lindt. It goes great with coffee, you melt it on your palate first and then follow with coffee. It's not meant to be bitten and chewed, because it's too solid.

You get used to the bitterness and begin to appreciate how tasty and bitter dark chocolate is before you finish your first bar ?

I don't follow low carb strictly anymore, but one of the things that stuck with me is my switch to dark chocolate. And so far, Lindt is the best one I've tried. Their dark range is very wide and I recently tried their Chili Dark one (I believe around 50% cacao). It's also awesome, although a bit sweet. Having said that, I usually consume just one inch square a day if at all. I used to have a sweet tooth but not anymore. I started to find store bought snacks too sweet after my switch to dark chocolate. 

Edited by Pelin