Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Giulio Bevilacqua

Many Life purposes . Feeling stuck

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone .  

Now it's quite long that I'm stuck in this situation .  

I'm struggling with the idea that I would like to do more things contemporary , but at the same time I've heard many people saying that it is better to follow one path . 

I would like to go to university and study a subject just for knowing and enjoyment, not for career and so on . 

At the same time I invest lot of time in practices like tai chi, yoga , different kinds of meditations and in playing drums.  

I've heard lot of people that can handle different activities .  But is it worth ? 

Maybe one can arrange them into one path, and make one thing out of all those . 

My fear is also that if I choose one thing I have to give up the others . 

Sorry for the English . 

Have you any tips ? Thank very much .

Don't waste your money and time on university if you just want to learn something as a hobby.

If you want to meet young girls, going to university might be helpful.

If you pursue more than one life purpose, you are likely to spread yourself too thin to do anything useful.

My advice // Train yourself across many aspects of life such as sleeping, food, and relationship. But, have only one life purpose.

Edited by CreamCat

Cal Newport in his books mentioned something called "small bets". People going out and testing different passions they had and see what sticks. 

You may have 10 passions but if people are eventually not willing to pay for 9 of them, you will have to go for the one that can be monetised. I am not trying to say that you need to spend your life chasing money, absolutely not. But your life purpose needs to be something that can pay your bills and afford you decent living. 

So take one of your passions and think about a way you could test it in the outer world. For example a cooking ebook if you like cooking or starting an amateur website offering free photoshoots if you like photography..and so on. You get the idea. This way you will know what has potential and what should just remain a hobby. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus