Aldo

Healthy escapism

13 posts in this topic

Hello guys, just looking for some ideas about healthy ( or not as bad ) forms of escapism. Things such as reading or traveling.

@Aldo I love to go out in nature, meditate, exercise, do my art, and hang out with my dog. These activities don't require much thinking - perfect escapism from the mind :)

Escaping from a lion trying to eat you is probably healthy. ?

But seriously this work is often about the internel state and improving on it especially when you can't fix the external. Escapeism of the internel won't do you any good. You are stuck experiencing it. You have a little more leeway with the external from the ego perspective. And yeah you could chop it up to the internel is the core problem, but baby steps. Don't need to rush growth in a single day. If you aren't ready, try again when you are. 

Tl;dr: Escapism is good to help you prepare no need to rush. 

Edited by Shadowraix

@Aldo

Life is a big escape from death.

No matter what you do in life, you are running away from death. Even suicide is meant to be an escape from pain which is translated subconsciously to death.

So, the question is: where do you want to escape to?

Think about that, let your heart lead the way, perhaps the best thing to do is to integrate both.

Go sit on your bed without any distractions and confront that which you want to escape from.

8 hours ago, Shadowraix said:

Escapism is good to help you prepare no need to rush.

No it's not. Unless you want to stay imprisoned in your own life.

29 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

@Aldo

Life is a big escape from death.

No matter what you do in life, you are running away from death. Even suicide is meant to be an escape from pain which is translated subconsciously to death.

So, the question is: where do you want to escape to?

Think about that, let your heart lead the way, perhaps the best thing to do is to integrate both.

Whoa, I love that. Priceless wisdom. Thank you :x

37 minutes ago, Psyche_92 said:

No it's not. Unless you want to stay imprisoned in your own life.

Life is a journey the entire way. Things will backfire on you if you push yourself too hard. You won't be ready for everything in a single day. Strategic escapism does not imply staying imprisoned. Its another part of the process of breaking out. ? To come back and try again. 

Perhaps you've forgotten what it is like to be new at life or something in general? Sometimes a break is all you need and to come back tomorrow. This is even more vital for healing processes. Losing a battle doesn't mean you lost the war so to speak. 

Edited by Shadowraix

I used to scape with videogames and food all my life.

Recently, I uninstalled all videogames from my computer, because I can get really really addicted to them.

Now, when I need to escape, I go to a cafeteria, order a coffe and read a personal development book, or I surf searching interesting topics.

Or I watch a movie. I avoid series because they make them to be addictive, leaving each episode on a high note for you to want more.

Also, if I binge eat, I may eat chocolate 90% or a protein bar instead of a sneakers bar.

Reading 

Socializing with people you love 

Meditations 

Service/Volunteering 

On 6/19/2019 at 0:45 AM, Aldo said:

Hello guys, just looking for some ideas about healthy ( or not as bad ) forms of escapism. Things such as reading or traveling.

Slight variations to basically the same thing (service to others);

• Asking someone if they need help with anything right now, today, or this week.
  • Doing something nice for someone but not telling anyone about it.
  • Helping someone and not expecting to be thanked for it, perhaps the other person doesn't even realise you have just helped them.