solr

First 30 day retreat - Advice?

7 posts in this topic

I've done some 14 day retreats, in a week I'll do my first 30 day retreat. Does anyone have first hand experience with difficulties I should expect? Did something unexpected happen during your retreat? The 14 day retreats were very hard, so I can only imagine how tough one month will be. I'm not planning to do any psychedelics on this retreat. I'll not read anything, no yoga or exercise. Just meditation. Any insights will be appreciated! 

@solr watch Leo's pre mortem video

The biggest trap for me personally is, that my mind somehow tries to convince me that quitting and doing research on some enlightenment-related topic (like researching more on self inquiry) would bring me more benefits and is more effective for my spiritual growth. It tells me that it is wiser too quitxD. so watch out for that one

And don't make any exceptions 

On 17.6.2019 at 5:46 PM, GreenWoods said:

@solr watch Leo's pre mortem video

The biggest trap for me personally is, that my mind somehow tries to convince me that quitting and doing research on some enlightenment-related topic (like researching more on self inquiry) would bring me more benefits and is more effective for my spiritual growth. It tells me that it is wiser too quitxD. so watch out for that one

And don't make any exceptions 

Hahaha sneaky ego. My biggest problem on my previous retreats have been fatigue. I get soooo sleepy, i fall asleep all the time. Super annoying

1 hour ago, solr said:

Hahaha sneaky ego. My biggest problem on my previous retreats have been fatigue. I get soooo sleepy, i fall asleep all the time. Super annoying

yesterday was the first time I think I actually fell asleep while mediating...

I usually do it this way: I meditate/self-inquiry/kriya-yoga as long as I am fit, once I become sleepy, I open my eyes and do self inquiry with open eyes or contemplate. You can also do a walk outside (contemplate there) or take a cold shower and continue. I suppose u don't  meditate 17 hours  a day, so arrange your schedule such that you do things like cooking when you are most sleepy.

24 minutes ago, GreenWoods said:

yesterday was the first time I think I actually fell asleep while mediating...

I usually do it this way: I meditate/self-inquiry/kriya-yoga as long as I am fit, once I become sleepy, I open my eyes and do self inquiry with open eyes or contemplate. You can also do a walk outside (contemplate there) or take a cold shower and continue. I suppose u don't  meditate 17 hours  a day, so arrange your schedule such that you do things like cooking when you are most sleepy.

Yeah that's good advice! I get super sleepy all day long, I don't really know why, but fresh air seems to help. Thank you for the video tip by the way, it's perfect for my situation. 

How many retreats have you done? Just curious

52 minutes ago, solr said:

Yeah that's good advice! I get super sleepy all day long, I don't really know why, but fresh air seems to help. Thank you for the video tip by the way, it's perfect for my situation. 

How many retreats have you done? Just curious

Perhaps You can optimize your diet or sleep patterns. Exercise in general (not during the retreat) should help as well

I have done only one retreat so far lasting two weeks. But I meditate for several hours daily and will do a long term retreat soon:D

Edited by GreenWoods