How to be wise

Mastery doesn’t take that long

38 posts in this topic

Many people here think that it’s not possible to attain emotional mastery without a decade of meditation. Well, I’m a living proof against that. I started spiritual work less than two years ago, and after doing a lot of inquiry, I’m very close to emotional mastery. These days, I struggle to find anything that can trigger me in any minor way. I’m living in a constant uninterrupted state of bliss, and my mind is usually just blank. I’m not identified with anything really. Even the question who am I doesn’t make that much sense to me, because it assumes that you exist. 

Anyway, I just wanted to provide some encouragement to my fellow meditators. You can reach there a lot sooner that you think. Focus on purging your shadow issues and ego more than just trying to ‘get an awakening.’ That’s one thing that I’ve never aimed for. Yet as I purged my shadow and ego, I found that awakenings just came to me suddenly. 

For example, the day when I disidentified from this body, was when I was going to bed at night, and as I pulled my duvet, out of nowhere my identification to the body just disappeared. Other awakenings also happened at random times e.g. emptiness, love, infinity, god, no time, no space, no world, infinite intelligence and so forth. But I never aimed to get any of them. I just focused on purging my ego. 

Another thing I recommend is to meditate several times a day. For the past year, I did inquiry 40 mins per session, and I did three sessions a day. Basically, morning, afternoon and night time. That way, inquiry was on my mind basically 24/7. I was living it. 

Good luck! If I did it, then definitely you can too!

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Mastery as you call it is not not being triggered in a state of bliss. It’s about the eradication of even the capacity to fear and crave. This is described in detail in Buddhism.

Upon awakening and sometimes for a good while after, months to years. You can be in a high state where nothing triggers you and your mind is “blank”. This is merely due to the high of awakening. I’ve had it, my teachers have had it. 

It most definitely doesn’t mean you have attained “mastery”. Adyashanti, Craig Holliday and some other teachers talk about dropping from the high of awakening as well. Be prepared for it. It will surely happen.

One more thing “close to mastery” or “almost no issues” are self judgements that come from a limited perspective. I have thought that for years. Lacking a deeper reference point most on the path are clueless in regards to how deep it goes.

43 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Many people here think that it’s not possible to attain emotional mastery without a decade of meditation. Well, I’m a living proof against that. I started spiritual work less than two years ago, and after doing a lot of inquiry, I’m very close to emotional mastery. These days, I struggle to find anything that can trigger me in any minor way. I’m living in a constant uninterrupted state of bliss, and my mind is usually just blank. I’m not identified with anything really. Even the question who am I doesn’t make that much sense to me, because it assumes that you exist. 

Anyway, I just wanted to provide some encouragement to my fellow meditators. You can reach there a lot sooner that you think. Focus on purging your shadow issues and ego more than just trying to ‘get an awakening.’ That’s one thing that I’ve never aimed for. Yet as I purged my shadow and ego, I found that awakenings just came to me suddenly. 

For example, the day when I disidentified from this body, was when I was going to bed at night, and as I pulled my duvet, out of nowhere my identification to the body just disappeared. Other awakenings also happened at random times e.g. emptiness, love, infinity, god, no time, no space, no world, infinite intelligence and so forth. But I never aimed to get any of them. I just focused on purging my ego. 

Another thing I recommend is to meditate several times a day. For the past year, I did inquiry 40 mins per session, and I did three sessions a day. Basically, morning, afternoon and night time. That way, inquiry was on my mind basically 24/7. I was living it. 

Good luck! If I did it, then definitely you can too!

what inquiry types of techniques did you use that gave you the most benefit?

Was it inquiring about who you are? Or inquiring about relative truths? What specific inquiry did you do?

@electroBeam The Work of Byron Katie. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Notice the difference between mastering emotions and not having emotions.  Two very different things.  

Mastering emotions involves going meta and letting them pass through you free of thought.  Just stop thinking about whatever triggered the emotion and it will flow though you and pass.  

That's not to say all emotions are bad.  Love is wonderful :)

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1

Ultimately mastery of emotions = realizing that all emotions are super impositions and not real and dropping them ? isnt it ?

From love comes attachment.From attachment likes and dislikes.And then suffering ??? So love is the root cause of suffering ??? How is it ?

Edited by Jkris

@Jkris is that Love though or is that the ego coming in and creating dualities? :)

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@How to be wise I wonder why the work actually works? Is it about identifying your own projections? How do you go about doing a mediation with the work?

8 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

@How to be wise

If you don't mind answering.

How old are you? What is your daily schedule? What do you do for a living?

19. I’m a college student, but I don’t actually go there. I spend my time at home doing inquiry. 

1 hour ago, Neorez said:

@How to be wise I wonder why the work actually works? Is it about identifying your own projections? How do you go about doing a mediation with the work?

There are four questions in the work. Just answer them. That’s it.

17 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

There are four questions in the work. Just answer them. That’s it.

Is there an essential Katie book you recommend? I haven't gotten around to her work yet

18 minutes ago, Neorez said:

It's free on her website

@Esoteric Loving What Is.

@Jkris and for that matter nothing is "bad" from God's perspective.  Bad is a duality that we as egos imagine. Being conscious of this gives you immense power over emotions because you ARE emotions :)

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.