Stenne

Personal develpment habits

19 posts in this topic

What are the best self help habits to do a basis and why? :)

26 minutes ago, Stenne said:

What are the best self help habits to do a basis and why? :)

Meditation - 

It cures boredom and gives inner silence, eventually.

I prefer two short meditations a day instead of one long one. Twenty minutes within an hour of getting out of bed in the morning and another in the afternoon/evening. More flexible and they feel like metaphysical booster shots instead of a tiresome spiritual practice.

It cures boredom by bringing in dispersed attention. When all of one's attention is present, there is no boredom. Whatever is at hand is interesting.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

• Regular sleep schedule
  • Strong morning routine
  • Meditation

Great topic question. Plan ahead everyday, even if it means something little. All the baby steps will add up. You won't regret it. I experienced something today that made of think of this:

I love the idea of a home-on-the-go. The rent is so expensive here in CA. If you have to be somewhere else, checking into a hotel room for a month or two is expensive. If you try to rent, there's a six months lease. Be prepared. The problem with this idea is, I don't like diesel fuel. Pollution. I dream of converting this into a Tesla. Someone who knows cars better told me to buy it used. It's more pollution if you buy it new. I just don't like the idea of a used toilet in a RV. Oh well...anyway...

Discover your life purpose sooner. Try to. Leo's life purpose clip always touches me:

26 minutes ago, Stenne said:

@CreamCat @Zigzag Idiot What type of Meditation do you practice?

• Do nothing meditation
  • Zazen meditation (focusing on breath)
  • Walking meditation
  • Deep Work meditation
    • Deeply concentrating on work is itself a form of meditation

The following daily routines are extremely simple, but highly effective.

1. Choose when you go to sleep. This allows you to take control of your day before it even starts. If you want to wake up early and be productive in the morning, then you have to be consistent about when you go to sleep.

2. Make your bed in the morning. Every big win in life requires a series of small wins to get there. Success breeds more success. Start each day with a sense of accomplishment by making your bed.

3. Wake up before the sun rises. nothing feels better than know you started your day before the sun is up. You'll be more productive by 10am than most people are all day.

4. Exercise every morning. This one has all kinds of positive benefits. No need to overdo it. it's about taking small, consistent steps forward and doing just enough to cause positive adaptations.

5. Decrease the clutter in your life. When you decrease the clutter at home and at the office, you'll find that the "clutter" in your mind decreases as well, making it easier to think and focus. 

.. and of course...

6. Meditation :) 

I'm still struggling to do #4 consistently, but I try to go for a walk every day and exercise at least twice a week.

Hard times create strong men. 
Strong men create good times. 
Good times create weak men.
Weak men create hard times.

I like what Sadhguru said about this. Habit is an activity, that you do unconsciously. Doing things consciously is the beauty of being human :) 

It's nice when you meditate in the morning, but when you then go and play video games, the effects are much smaller. This is of course very hard to execute... :D 

3 hours ago, Stenne said:

@CreamCat @Zigzag Idiot What type of Meditation do you practice?

Centering Prayer Meditation is my main practice done twice a day for at least 20 minutes each time. There are also a couple of concentration practices that I incorporate at random throughout the week from Gurdjieff.

There's no dogma or Churchy stuff involved with this.

By far the best explanation of Centering Prayer is Cynthia Bourgeault's talk given at a SAND conference a few years ago. Below this talk, I'll post a couple more short YouTubes that may fill in the blanks if your interested in really taking a look at starting this practice. It's an extremely simple practice but understanding the concepts and theory behind it offer an understanding that can immediately put one into the territory of putting the mind in the heart and giving a taste of perceiving with Unity. Good luck to you,,,,

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

I break my daily routine into four parts: consciousness, contribution, knowledge, and wisdom. Consciousness includes meditation, yoga, physical exercise, etc. Contribution includes inspiring others, entrepeneurship , providing value, practicing compassion & unconditional love, making others happy. Knowledge includes daily learning, watching Leo's videos, integrating perspectives, reading books, traveling, speaking to new people, taking courses, basically familiarizing with life & reality. A subcomponent of knowledge is the process of mastery, and developing yourself skillfully. Lastly, Wisdom is developed  through contemplation and actually deriving truth for yourself. I practice contemplation every night before bed. Wisdom isn't just deriving existential truths, but can be psychological, understanding yourself is a form of wisdom.

I hope that helps. The best idea is to work on these daily, and assess which ones you're lacking in and try to integrate them in a strategic manner. 

@Cody_Atzori I really love your four parts answer. I will add gratitude for the little things in life as a fifth part. 

IMG_4880.JPG

Daily cold showers work for me to be comfortable being oncomfortabel.

Subliminals are really cool as well. I haven't heard many self-help teachers talk about them. But they are AMAZING.

When I was younger for some reason I wanted to get a hairy chest so I listened to a subliminal on youtube to get a hairy chest and It worked. However, now I don't focus my subliminals on physical appearance, but I focus it more towards my consciousness and development. For example, at the moment Iv'e been listening to a meditation master subliminal and it's been working very well and I listened to a subliminal on health and vitality and the results I got from that were amazing. For a newbie, I'd recommend a self-discipline or work-ethic subliminal, or a subliminal that focuses on your limiting beliefs or personal issues. My favorite subliminal channels are akuo subliminals, hypnodaddy, co creators, and many more. Also, you don't need to limit yourself to youtube you can easily learn to create your own subliminals with the right equipment. For instance, there's a great program you get on your computer called subliminal360, although expensive, it's really good for subliminal results and creating your own subliminals. I haven't bought it personaly but iv'e heard good reviews.

Also, don't listen to more than five different subliminals at a time. One, it will give you a headache, and two, your confused mind won't produce any results under subliminal overload. Beleive me, when I was younger I tried listening to like 20 subliminals at once and what a waste of time. And finally, be patient with it, It won't happen overnight every person is different, wait at least a month of daily listening before you judge. If you have any other questions about subliminals they're easily answered on the subliminal channels. 

On 6/16/2019 at 5:27 AM, Zigzag Idiot said:

When all of one's attention is present, there is no boredom. Whatever is at hand is interesting.

Yes. Fully agree. 

In terms of top personal development/self-help habits for me I'm still trying to make my own list really and start a journal on it. Will follow this thread and contribute later I hope.

I feel one of the most powerful things you can do for yourself is a To Do list, similar to @Shiva post. Mine would look something like this.

• go to gym
  • review and answer emails
  • meditiate
  • call energy company re outstanding account
  • ring taxation department
  • research acai and where to buy/how to cook
  • Call mum

etc. We can get very involved in our spiritual lives to the point that we rarely associate outside of it, next thing you know the electricity has been shut off or you haven't called you mum in 3 months.  Being on top of everything in your life goes to a symbiotic life values. Cross everything of as you do it and roll the outstanding to the next day.  

For me it is awareness practice - I suppose you may call it that. Just whenever I can remember about it I put my awareness into the moment, my body, what's around me, just sensing the now. (For some reason I have a feeling now that my life consists mostly traffic jams ;))

I try to eat healthier and if I don't mediate I feel sick, so that's the main ones I guess :)