electroBeam

Question on Leo's Marketing Strategy

21 posts in this topic

Hi @Leo Gura I remember you said you made orange stage videos to reel people into actualized.org, and then tried to slowly transition them to more spiritual videos.

Did this strategy work effectively for you? For retaining people? If you had to go back into a time machine and start actualized.org all over again from the beginning, would you still follow this approach(assuming you retained all of the spiritual insights you have now when you went back in time)?

I'm asking this for my own life purpose. If my purpose is to develop a physics/mathematical foundation for spirituality, should I approach it by slowly adding and modifying the materialist paradigm over decades of time, or should I jump right into providing mathematical laws for spiritual phenomena straight off the bat, and hope the right people find it?

43 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

I'm asking this for my own life purpose. If my purpose is to develop a physics/mathematical foundation for spirituality, should I approach it by slowly adding and modifying the materialist paradigm over decades of time, or should I jump right into providing mathematical laws for spiritual phenomena straight off the bat, and hope the right people find it?

Based on your commenting in other videos, I'd say you are asking in order to provoke Leo, then proceed to be passive agressive towards anybody that disagrees and ultimately feel you walk away having taught Leo a lesson. :)

Tu amigo 

1 minute ago, Myegolikestacos said:

Based on your commenting in other videos, I'd say you are asking in order to provoke Leo, then proceed to be passive agressive towards anybody that disagrees and ultimately feel you walk away having taught Leo a lesson. :)

Tu amigo 

Hi Myegolikestacos

could you please tell me what that other video was, and what I wrote to make you think that?

muito gracias amigo

It would be completely inappropriate for me to speak for Leo, but my assumption (observation) is that he himself has organically transitioned from stage orange upward throughout the past ~6 years.  Probably more happenstance than intentional marketing (or strategic planning from the outset).

IIRC Leo said he had to start his business at stage orange to make it financially viable and as his audience grew he was able to transition to higher stages. 

I mostly just release the videos which I feel motivated to release. I don't calculate too much about it. But of course, that's because I have that luxury. If you're just starting off you have to be much more calculating. In my early days I released a lot of videos which were not my favorite topics but which I knew would be popular mainstream topics.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

44 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I mostly just release the videos which I feel motivated to release. I don't calculate too much about it. But of course, that's because I have that luxury. If you're just starting off you have to be much more calculating. In my early days I released a lot of videos which were not my favorite topics but which I knew would be popular mainstream topics.

Why didn't you increase your popularity through making research papers about philosophy and then slowly etching your way to non dual idealist papers. Wouldn't that have been a lot easier to do, rather than make a YouTube channel and get random people on the internet liking your lectures? The univesity system basicallu hands you a path, and you chose to create an entirely new path.

@electroBeam I would rather kick myself in the nuts than try to talk about these things via a university.

It became quickly obvious to me when I was about 21 years old that a university would not accept my radical epistemology because it would be the death of the university.

Creating new paths is what I enjoy. I have little interest in walking other people's paths.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, electroBeam said:

Why didn't you increase your popularity through making research papers about philosophy and then slowly etching your way to non dual idealist papers. Wouldn't that have been a lot easier to do, rather than make a YouTube channel and get random people on the internet liking your lectures?

Most university professors are far less popular than second-rate youtubers. Among them, only a few managed to become popular through youtube and various lectures geared toward the masses. For example, Jordan Peterson, Michio Kaku, and Neil deGrasse Tyson.

theRadBrad is more popular than Leo Gura, yet theRadBrad is a low-consciousness person. When you see that game playthroughs are more popular than university professors, you realize that becoming a professor is not a great way to become popular.

Edited by CreamCat

16 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@electroBeam I would rather kick myself in the nuts than try to talk about these things via a university.

It became quickly obvious to me when I was about 21 years old that a university would not accept my radical epistemology because it would be the death of the university.

Creating new paths is what I enjoy. I have little interest in walking other people's paths.

yep agree on that, but why would the public? The majority of the public are also heavily into christianity or atheist, and changing their opinions are just as hard as changing graduates at uni. On top of that, the public is not obliged on giving you money. People will only give you money if you help them with their orange stage problems. At a university though they can get away with doing stuff that doesn't lead directly to getting money off people, because its sort of a cultural thing for universities to just get money for the sake of it. So at a university, you don't need to worry about getting money off people, just convincing professors. I don't know, the latter just seems easier.

21 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

Most university professors are far less popular than second-rate youtubers. Among them, only a few managed to become popular through youtube and various lectures geared toward the masses. For example, Jordan Peterson, Michio Kaku, and Neil deGrasse Tyson.

theRadBrad is more popular than Leo Gura, yet theRadBrad is a low-consciousness person. When you see that game playthroughs are more popular than university professors, you realize that becoming a professor is not a great way to become popular.

yes but the goal isn't about becoming popular. The goal is getting money to live off through making content that you enjoy. There might be a professor out there that is known by 10 people, but if a university is paying him 200k a year, his popularity doesnt matter. theRadBrad might be known by 1000000 people, but does that mean that 1 million people pay for his content? Not necessarily. Yes theRadBrad is more popular than Leo, precisely because he is lower conscious than Leo. The more conscious you are, the harder it is to get popular. 

18 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

So at a university, you don't need to worry about getting money off people, just convincing professors. I don't know, the latter just seems easier.

Haha I for etold this in my first comment... Like so many others you are here thinking you you can teach Leo a lesson your are trying to teach Leo how to be Leo. You came here innocently asking him about his strategies but you are really here to give him advice. Trust me if you really had something to teach it would show and we would all be listening to you instead.

Tu amigo

10 minutes ago, Myegolikestacos said:

Haha I for etold this in my first comment... Like so many others you are here thinking you you can teach Leo a lesson your are trying to teach Leo how to be Leo. You came here innocently asking him about his strategies but you are really here to give him advice. Trust me if you really had something to teach it would show and we would all be listening to you instead.

Tu amigo

I'm not going to debate about this as its pointless, but if you have read most of my threads(where I'm the one who started the thread) you will see I rarely reply back to comments given in those threads. This is because I read, take notes, and then move on(not because I ignore them, I actually take note and am greatful for the replies). If you look at the first question I posted on this thread, Leo and you both gave me answers to it. I didn't argue further on it, I just accepted it. You didn't notice that didn't ya? If I am arguing, I'm arguing on a completely different question.

Furthermore I'm not arguing with him, I'm inquiring an answer from him about something that is deeply important to my personal situation. I'm not just going to accept and move on if I feel I didn't get enough from his original answer. 

4 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

Furthermore I'm not arguing with him, I'm inquiring an answer from him about something that is deeply important to my personal situation. I'm not just going to accept and move on if I feel I didn't get enough from his original answer. 

Sorry it just comes off a little bit needy. If his answeres are not "enough" for you it could be you have surpassed him... check your notes you must have wrote it down. 

On 6/16/2019 at 1:58 AM, Myegolikestacos said:

Sorry it just comes off a little bit needy. If his answeres are not "enough" for you it could be you have surpassed him... check your notes you must have wrote it down. 

Leo's replies often directly answer the question and don't provide a lot of nuance and/or background at least unless it is a video he is making. This is why sometimes you just gotta inquire more. Seems you came here with an idea already in your head and ran with it. I wonder why?

Is asking for elaboration needy? Are you demonizing that? Reflect on the motive and intention behind your replies and whether it was necessary/productive to the conversation.

Where I live a professor only gets so much time to truly study. A lot of their tasks are finding money, university politics, teaching the same basic stuff over and over again and in general deal with students. You might get a research semester approved if you are lucky. Good luck trying to convince the others that you are out on a 30 day retreat in the woods.

Also I cant imagine the books and sources Leo relies on are seen as academic research papers.

It wouldnt fit. And if it would make him financially stable, the bullshit you woudhave to do to make it work wouldnt be worth it.

On top of that. You wouldnt have that many people profit from the LPC all around the world. This forum wouldnt exist. There would be no database with terrabytes of video material available at any time from any place of the earth. What you would get is maybe 1000 papers that rot on some place behind a paywall.

Im actually starting to laugh at how unefficient and behind the university system is. But there are also already universities that try do be better and new forms of education are arising. Its just as with any big old company, they move slow.

//This video might be helpful for you

Edited by universe

2 hours ago, universe said:

Where I live a professor only gets so much time to truly study. A lot of their tasks are finding money, university politics, teaching the same basic stuff over and over again and in general deal with students. You might get a research semester approved if you are lucky. Good luck trying to convince the others that you are out on a 30 day retreat in the woods.

Also I cant imagine the books and sources Leo relies on are seen as academic research papers.

It wouldnt fit. And if it would make him financially stable, the bullshit you woudhave to do to make it work wouldnt be worth it.

On top of that. You wouldnt have that many people profit from the LPC all around the world. This forum wouldnt exist. There would be no database with terrabytes of video material available at any time from any place of the earth. What you would get is maybe 1000 papers that rot on some place behind a paywall.

Im actually starting to laugh at how unefficient and behind the university system is. But there are also already universities that try do be better and new forms of education are arising. Its just as with any big old company, they move slow.

//This video might be helpful for you

insightful thanks!

On 6/16/2019 at 0:04 AM, electroBeam said:

yep agree on that, but why would the public? The majority of the public are also heavily into christianity or atheist, and changing their opinions are just as hard as changing graduates at uni.

You clearly haven't studied online marketing...

I don't mean this as an insult, by the way. I'm just stating what I see :)

A successful marketing strategy NEVER aims to "change people's minds," especially when just starting out.

If you have a cool idea you want to make money off of, one of the most ineffective things you could do is to spend your energy trying to "convert" people who don't believe in your message.

You always target people who are already on board. "But all of society is stage Blue/Orange!!" No. You don't know that. Believe me, Truth seekers actually exist ;)

This is the miracle of online marketing; 20 years ago, this marketing model would have been impossible. You would have to either appease the crowd, or attempt to change people.

Thanks to the internet, though, you can pump out content for people who are already actively seeking out your expertise.

Leo caught on to this very early!

It's Love.

On 16. 6. 2019 at 7:04 AM, electroBeam said:

yep agree on that, but why would the public? The majority of the public are also heavily into christianity or atheist, and changing their opinions are just as hard as changing graduates at uni. On top of that, the public is not obliged on giving you money. People will only give you money if you help them with their orange stage problems. At a university though they can get away with doing stuff that doesn't lead directly to getting money off people, because its sort of a cultural thing for universities to just get money for the sake of it. So at a university, you don't need to worry about getting money off people, just convincing professors. I don't know, the latter just seems easier.

I remember you study engineering, but you may have not yet gotten in touch with the system of financing of universities and the social pressures in them. There's no real freedom to do quick paradigm shifts within a university. To get a job, you need to get published, to get published, you need to be acceptable to a journal who won't take too radical stuff; to get money, you need to get a grant from a grant agency; you also need a phd, in order to get a phd you need the acceptance of some professor, who also can't publish too radical stuff because his career is on the line. You are part of a rigid hierarchy, and you also have to do a ton of administrative tasks, grant application writing, teaching, maintenance. Just forget it. There's no way Leo could do what he's doing in an academic setting. 

Maybe it's a little better in the humanities, but as a physicist I feel that due to the short-term financing there is no longer any freedom od revolutionary exploration in academia. If you want to stay in research, you're up for some rough loss of illusion.