Bridge to Infinity

The NoYoutube Movement

17 posts in this topic

I'm just one of millions who are wasting their life on youtube.

It's been 3-4 years now, where on a daily basis at least 4 hours of my life are spent on the website, mindlessly scrolling, in hopes of something interesting. All that time amounted to nothing... Imagine if i spent it pursuing my passion.

Youtube has systematically created it's website to keep you hooked on it like you would be on a drug, it creates a profile of you and suggests things you have a high probability of being interested in, you find yourself seamlessly going through dozens without even realizing it. It's Designed to make you stay on it!

As of now, im abstaining from youtube for the next 30 days, and after then will use it only for work/research, nothing more!

Feel free to join me, lets see what we make of our lives once we've broken away from the DRUG that is Youtube.

Nosurf

We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

“Take the lowest place, and you shall reach the highest.” 

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

25 minutes ago, Bridge to Infinity said:

I'm just one of millions who are wasting their life on youtube.

It's been 3-4 years now, where on a daily basis at least 4 hours of my life are spent on the website, mindlessly scrolling, in hopes of something interesting. All that time amounted to nothing... Imagine if i spent it pursuing my passion.

Youtube has systematically created it's website to keep you hooked on it like you would be on a drug, it creates a profile of you and suggests things you have a high probability of being interested in, you find yourself seamlessly going through dozens without even realizing it. It's Designed to make you stay on it!

As of now, im abstaining from youtube for the next 30 days, and after then will use it only for work/research, nothing more!

Feel free to join me, lets see what we make of our lives once we've broken away from the DRUG that is Youtube.

Good topic friend!

I also can end up in this situation. However, I propose that YouTube is not the problem.

Actually I speak for myself here and perhaps it will relate to you, or maybe not. YouTube is not my problem. If I banned YouTube my craving would present itself in another form. I would probably end up doing something equally time wasting. If I am spending too long on YouTube watching crap that is not legitimately good for my personal development, then I need to work out what I am avoiding.

I also need to check my level of entitlement. Often doing these soul destroying activities such as binging on the internet and binging on food at the moment is me living in the world of entitlement and not in the world of gratitude. It is also me living in the world of instant gratification and away from the world of hard work, dedication, commitment and discipline. 

I'm not saying we can never have downtime, but we all know it's easy to take downtime to a whole new level. I need to work on skillful relaxation and skillful downtime. 

So for me, I can't blame YouTube for my inner problems. I am not accusing you of blaming YouTube. I speak for me only. 

Dumb, instant gratification, wasted time activity is an outer manifestation of an inner problem. Sometimes the problem is simply sloppy habits, other times it runs deeper, much deeper. 

@Bridge to Infinity I totally get what you are saying, and admittedly, there are things on YouTube that can hook me too (though I don't surf mindlessly, or get stuck in that way). That said, you can also learn many skills, languages, PD/ learn from Leo, etc... so It's like food, sex, etc/ many things in life, where it is up to each of us as individuals to use to help us evolve/ use wisely/ don't over indulge... idea: maybe make a schedule of 30 minutes per day where you use YouTube as a tool to better yourself/ work on your purpose, etc... when your timer goes off, you switch it off :) sending good wishes :)

I've always failed at forcing abstentions. 30 days free of this. 30 days free of that. I think it's a very primitive way to grow yourself and can have a huge demoralizing backlash. Maybe limit your time or try to find something else to fill what would otherwise be YouTube time? 

@Bill W

let's simplify this, being addicted to youtube is the ultimate addiction, that is because you are interacting with faces, and that fulfils something deep within your reward system. 

Letting go of Human-like interactivity (Youtube) and going into something as lame as a forum will eventually become lame.

You're right though, the problem is within, it is me who is going on youtube for all these hours.

But if there was no youtube, i would spend more time, having  REAL-Human interactions, achieving REAL results, i would get the thrill out of life, because there was no other way to get it, (forums included since it's just a bunch of text and ideas thrown around which ultimately wares out)

@Epiphany_Inspired 

Ask yourself, how many of Leos teaching are you really implementing, how are they really affecting your life?

For me the answer is: Leo gave me an idea of what's possible, but now i just watch his videos like i do vlogs.

you could spend at least 3 months of your life applying some of Leos Principles, without watching any new videos. You wouldn't need to. 

If that's done, you would benefit 1000x more from Leo, because then you live his teachings experientially, and that's all that matters.  

@SunnyNewDay if you can't go about a 30 day abstinence that is a result of your lack of self control, rather than a judgement about all people that are trying to accomplish 30 day abstinences. 

@Bridge to Infinity On a more practical level, I started using a plugin on chrome for all the websites I don't want to spend too much time on (20 min a day in my case) then they are completely blocked for the next 24 hours. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stayfocusd/laankejkbhbdhmipfmgcngdelahlfoji?hl=en

I also ran across an interview from Cal Newport on impact theory about digital minimalism and being more selective about what we allow in our life. You can watch it on Youtube ;) or podcast.

I would also say, focus on what you want the most in your life. All else will align with that.

If you resist what you don’t want, it will be furthered empowered, so just redirect the energy entirely to what you want which is a feeling of Unconditonal Love in every moment. The mind is constantly seeking for this outside. So rest it in your heart.

This is a universal principle, what you focus on, you empower in your life. Use this to achieve anything you want.

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

:D@Bridge to Infinity Your response was actually perfect for me. I did spend over 3 months without Leo's videos/ YouTube. I found it wonderful, that said, I haven't found returning to online life too challenging either.

I did implement Leo's practices while offline, daily. Leo's suggestions are diverse, and have now become a part of my "operating system" (contemplation, mindfulness, relationship red flags, awareness, non-duality, values, etc). 

So, because I have actually done what you suggest, I can see both sides of the coin. What you said is totally true. Also, what you missed is the evolution of both Leo, and myself... having these journeys intertwine as we all progress helps further our connection to infinate oneness  ( when addictions do not interfear). I dont watch every new video (too busy), but when I do it is VERY helpful.... just as this forum is super helpful, to connect with others on this journey... like you ?

I still believe YouTube, like most things, is great... if in moderation, and used consciously... but I am very stoked for you to take what sounds like a much needed break, sending good thoughts for your freedom from this sticky web.

@Epiphany_Inspired Leos videos are an exception to my rule lol. they're once a week, like church on a sunday, you're reminded of the higher values ;)

Edited by Bridge to Infinity

I actually applied the awareness alones is curative, and it has work great. Obviously takes time. You have to replace one habit with other, and that's pretty dificult. 

For a pragmatic approach, I would use the website extension called 'DFTube'.

It turns off all the addiction hooks, and turns YouTube into a search bar. This forces you to be intentional with your attention, and not to get swept away by auto play or recommended videos.