kieranperez

Single Minded Commitment

11 posts in this topic

The thing that I think I’ve always admired about the revolutionary mystics, saints, sages, etc. is never really what they do after realization. I think the admirable thing for me personally is the commitment these people had/have. 

For me, the example that deeply gets this across the most is that of Om Swami because this is the thing that inspires me most when I read his story (his memoir is the most impactful book I’ve ever read. Period). 

Its a single minded commitment and integrity these people have for their pursuits. What you hear, read, but more importantly FEEL when you come across these peoples stories is a single minded passionate yearning and need to know what’s real, who they are, etc. When you read about The Buddha, Om Swami, The Marathon Monks, etc. These people have a willingness to die quite literally. Me personally, that’s what I feel gets across to me most when I listen to @Leo Gura talk about these things and all these people and that’s why I stick around. 

Personally I think this is the key that at least I miss since I have very weak integrity and what not but the thing that’s also the most inspiring. People willing to live under a fucking mountain and throw away everything just to find out what’s real. There’s nothing admirable about living under a mountain. There are bums that do that. It’s the conscious choice and reason as to why they’re doing that. 

Do you really see the point in pursuing truth? Or is enlightenment just a commodity for you deep down, beyond all the talk and citing of scriptures and all that other stuff? Lot of people on here talk about this stuff and Spiral Dynamics like being stage Turquoise and all that stuff like a commodity. Do you ACTUALLY want to know what’s real? Or do you just want to get better at talking about it and being another nondual keyboard warrior? 

This post isn’t about me. I just want to share this and raise this. I’m trying to call people out. Do what you want. Say what you want. 

Hope this strikes something. 

Nice post :) yea i really don't like these keyboard worriors :)

This path is hard and dedicated mystics are there to help us through challenges. I've recently listened to Martin W. Ball's podcast on his inability to sleep for 10 days and literally going through hell not knowing what to do.

These sort of 'marathon monks' sort of challenges really get me to question 2 things:

1- Can dedicated meditators and enlightened yogis really put these mindfulness skills to the test when shit gets real? Like these extreme insomnia cases when you are drugged to sleep but still the nervous system goes haywire and says 'Nope'.

2- While people are going through these sort of things, why do I feel lazy to do a 2 hour SDS sit? For instance, for a few days I've had a lot of back pain that creates an aversion for long SDS sits. This question priorities my life and helps me to re-align my practice with dedicated meditators practicing 10+ hours a day in a monastery going through hell.

Martin Ball, just like Leo, might have done really deep 5meo Dmt trips, had many the legit insights and awakenings but when you have a 10-day long insomnia, the skills that will get you through that experience with as little suffering as possible will be the non-psychedelic mystical path where you train your mind for hours with pig-headed discipline, deep mindfulness, samadhi and self inquiry.

And doing all this consistently for 20+ years.

These are my thoughts on the matter. Hope it gives some fresh perspective and motivation.

@ardacigin you’re missing the point.

If you take what I’m saying as literally go do what they do, then you’re missing the point.

Ralston did all his consciousness work living in the US. Granted he’s also a freak of nature. 

Yeah there’s a cost to this work along with any endeavor you master. Athletes often have nagging shit later in life as an occumulation from the staggering work they put in. There’s a cost to pay in mastering anything. 

And yes, this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Not everyone can be a hardcore yogi or enlightened master. Where did I ever suggest that? Having said that, there are other avenues than just traditional meditation and yoga. Often times were just following a path that isn’t custom to us. 

I don't think this kind of commitment is something you can muster. It's not really a matter of personal will, I think. The path is such, that at some point truth becomes all you crave. There is nothing more important and every moment away from truth is just too painful. It's a natural feature of awakening, I think.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

Just now, okulele said:

I don't think this kind of commitment is something you can muster. It's not really a matter of personal will, I think. The path is such, that at some point truth becomes all you crave. There is nothing more important and every moment away from truth is just too painful. It's a natural feature of awakening, I think.

I’m using personal commitment and crave synonymously here. What you’re describing is what I’m talking about. For me, those are pretty much the same.

Oh! One more thing!  A cool thing one teacher told me is, that spiritual practice (and this commitment also I guess) is not what leads to awakening, but rather it's the symptom of awakening. It's just what happens :) When we see there was never a doer, it is obvious that this was the case.

But yes, these stories and paths of committed masters are epic, no doubt about that.

10 minutes ago, okulele said:

spiritual practice (and this commitment also I guess) is not what leads to awakening, but rather it's the symptom of awakening. It's just what happens :) When we see there was never a doer, it is obvious that this was the case.

Well yeah. You have to get in your own experience that you truly don’t know and that you can’t go through life not knowing. You can’t start a CONSCIOUS and DELIBERATE practice until you have that openness. That openness is the beginning that sparks the eventual fire. However, there are thousands of people who have that openness but lack the integrity and belief in themselves they THEMSELVES can do it and thus have trouble mustering the action needed to follow through on their commitment. Which, partially, explains why we don’t have more enlightened masters in the world. 

56 minutes ago, kieranperez said:

Well yeah. You have to get in your own experience that you truly don’t know and that you can’t go through life not knowing. You can’t start a CONSCIOUS and DELIBERATE practice until you have that openness. That openness is the beginning that sparks the eventual fire. However, there are thousands of people who have that openness but lack the integrity and belief in themselves they THEMSELVES can do it and thus have trouble mustering the action needed to follow through on their commitment. Which, partially, explains why we don’t have more enlightened masters in the world. 

You can do it, man :)

@okulele thanks ❤️ I’ve noticed that my craving (I actually like that word better to be honest - more accurate) is starting to grow deeper. A lot of assumptions have been falling away. My last lsd trip really was the realization of Leo’s video on The Purpose of Life and I’ve been avoiding the work more since then out of fear and what I pointed out here. It just seems too good to be true that I can  do that. In yet... it’s who I am and I know that’s why I’m here. 

I really understand and can appreciate more the reality of how hard it is on the inside for the hero to accept the call and the inner dilemma 

@kieranperez Truth is for the thirsty ones. Small piece of advice: let those intoxicated by pride be. Every human life is an amazing quest.

unborn Truth