Peo

Are there danger with pushing to hard on a solo retreats

9 posts in this topic

If i just do a 30 days solo retreat for the first time in my life will there be dangers with jumping to far? Will i have a so big ego backlash that it knocks me permanent out of my spiritual path. What happens if i just push my self beyond my capability without any practice?

Maybe i should try doing a solo retreat where i just push my self until i can't handel the pain anymore

Edited by Peo
grammer

28 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Have you done retreats before?

no

Ask yourself: would that be a strategically intelligent move on your part? It sounds like you are mentally preparing for failure and creating a self fullfilling prophecy. If you really had the will and desire to do a 30 day retreat, you would not be asking around if you can do it or not. How could we know if you are up for it or not, we dont know you at all. 

It's actually impossible to determine what is your ultimate spiritual max for sitting in meditation, because when you do give in you can always ask: "could I have sat one second more? Half a second? Quarter of a second?" and the answer will always be yes, given your body does not give up before your mind does. Meditation is not like running. 

I suggest you ramp it up, if you have never done a retreat try doing a 10-day first. Trust me, it will be hard enough and you WILL grow and get valuable insights out of it. Don't expect much out of it, expectations will only distract you, rather concentrate on doing your best on each individual sit and most importantly, NOT quit prematurely. 

Best of luck. 

Edited by molosku

Maybe start with a one week one before and do it in a group and with a facilitator. 30 day retreats and even longer are good but I think it's a little more advanced if you've never done any kind of conciousness retreat before. It's kind of like being guided through a meditation or learning how to do it before you do it on your own. You need a bit of a framework for yourself to work properly and also your own safety. 

Edited by SunnyNewDay

3 hours ago, SunnyNewDay said:

also your own safety

So there are dangers. What can possible happen to me?

@Peo It depends on what you define as "danger".

My short answer is no. But if you're not entirely aware of what you're doing or if you lack the necessary discipline, you might just waste your time with distractions. And wasting your time may be considered dangerous by some.

unborn Truth

What is your agenda for the solo retreat?

Meditation, contemplation, enlightenment exercises, psychedelics?

4 hours ago, Yannik said:

What is your agenda for the solo retreat?

Meditation, contemplation, enlightenment exercises, psychedelics?

I will do meditation, self inquiry and concentration