Zec

Questions on Mastering the Core Teachings Of The Buddha

9 posts in this topic

I’m a newbie to self actulization and meditation. Should I wait until I’m alittle more psychologically developed in order to work with a Hardcore Dharma book like Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha? 

I guess a better question is am I ready as a newbie to use the techniques? 

Noone is ready for awakening, read as much as you like. In the awakening process reading and mind is useless.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

@Zec How old are you and how much life experience have you had?

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

get the damn book and start the damn techniques. Hardcore is a confusing word. the book has advanced information, it's long, but it's also fun and helpful for everyone. you don't have to go on retreats yet although it'll be hard not to after reading the book. You can just do a daily practice. get the damn book. great damn book

@Hellspeed Preperation is important for awakening.Its a gradual process.Hence books which shares the experiences are important.

The mind has to be disciplined purified.Slowly withdraw from the world.

It took 9 yrs for Buddha.

For people like Ramana Maharishi,Echart Tolle etc happened due to some intense fear of death and for tolle - depression need not be taken as a standard structured path for awakening.

Kinda stuck between spending 90 days working on zen body or Mastering the core teachings. Which one is proffered for newbies?

What do you mean by zen body?

You will need more than 90 days to master the core teachings of the Buddha. For most people that takes several lifetimes :D:D:D

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

On 14/06/2019 at 2:38 AM, Zec said:

I’m a newbie to self actulization and meditation. Should I wait until I’m alittle more psychologically developed in order to work with a Hardcore Dharma book like Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha? 

MTCTB teaches both insight meditation and concentration meditation which can both be practised at any level. For the insight, MTCTB basically teaches a slightly different version of what Shinzen Young teaches, but with a different style and form of labelling. It is fairly intense though, even just a basic labelling technique can be quite exhausting at times. I probably wouldn't recommend the MTCTB labelling technique for beginners, to answer your question. But there's no reason why you couldn't. Some beginners might love it. I believe he gives some good technique explanations/lessons in the 2nd version of MTCTB. Alternatively, you might be better off starting with a simple breath meditation, in order to build up your concentration and mindfulness. 

Edited by Space

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski