GreenWoods

Dangers of altered states of consciousness / energetic experiences

17 posts in this topic

I'm 19 and want to do a one year meditation retreat before I go to university. I want to rent an apartment as this is cheapest (ca. $230 monthly) and I am free to do whatever I want (no given schedules with dogmatic teachings etc like in most ashrams, monasteries...). However, my parents are very concerned because I would be alone the wohle time. For example, they worry that I might do something crazy and there is no one to stop/help me. I guess that the only and very remote danger is, that I have some kundalini awakening or other unexpected energetic experience where something goes wrong and I am unable to call for help or fall into coma. I estimate the probability lower than 0.01%. But well, my parents are worried and estimate the probability for any horror event higher (and their worry is reinforced by an (in my opinion dogmatic) astrologer (my mum deeply trusts her) who says that because of my birth chart, altered states of consciousness are dangerous for me). I suppose that's all ridiculous, but for the sake of my parents' worries, do you think there is any danger?

Of course there are dangerous. Awakening is a very radical thing. We are basically talking about renouncing your whole life.

There will be times when you will feel depressed, insane, and even suicidal. All of this comes with territory.

And there are many more dangers. Too many to list them all.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@GreenWoods daym, a 1 year meditation retreat...

Do you have any experience with shorter retreats?

Do you have solid daily practices in place?

Realizeyourgrowth.com

Take it on hold. Retreats are enough after a few hours a day with breaks.

Enlightenment is the ultimate hero's journey.
Nothing can prepare you for it. No amount of support will help here.

Any person you drag along will have to enlighten with you, so choose wisely.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

24 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Of course there are dangerous. Awakening is a very radical thing. We are basically talking about renouncing your whole life.

There will be times when you will feel depressed, insane, and even suicidal. All of this comes with territory.

And there are many more dangers. Too many to list them all.

Thanks for answering:)

I know that there will be times when I will feel depressed, insane and suicidal but I'm fine with that. I know these subtle dangers are not to be underestimated but I'm more concerned with gross dangers as those mentioned in my post.

20 minutes ago, Identity said:

@GreenWoods daym, a 1 year meditation retreat...

Do you have any experience with shorter retreats?

Do you have solid daily practices in place?

A few months ago I did two weeks and those were easy. ( I would have done more and longer retreats but this wasn't possible due to school). In the last months I was doing spiritual practices averaging 4 hours daily. Currently it's less because I'm puting all my time into planing the retreat

Edited by GreenWoods

11 minutes ago, tedens said:

Take it on hold. Retreats are enough after a few hours a day with breaks.

why meditate 9 hours daily if you could 14:D

10 minutes ago, tsuki said:

Enlightenment is the ultimate hero's journey.
Nothing can prepare you for it. No amount of support will help here.

Any person you drag along will have to enlighten with you, so choose wisely.

If I even tried to explain to my parents what enlightenment is, they would definitely think that I've lost my mind.

I suppose I should do what seems right according to my intuition...

29104211_1609921995794567_7199358137290194944_n.jpg

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

31 minutes ago, GreenWoods said:

A few months ago I did two weeks and those were easy. ( I would have done more and longer retreats but this wasn't possible due to school). In the last months I was doing spiritual practices averaging 4 hours daily. Currently it's less because I'm puting all my time into planing the retreat

Oke sick, I guess you have a better idea what you are getting yourself into than me ?

Realizeyourgrowth.com

@GreenWoods because it does not matter the quantity but the quality?

Edited by tedens

11 minutes ago, tedens said:

@GreenWoods because it does not matter the quantity but the quality?

If I do a technique like self inquiry 14 hours a day, then of course the quality will go down. Therefore I'm planning to do perhaps 10 hours of hardcore practices and 5 hours contemplating (perhaps even while walking outside)

5 minutes ago, Anton_Pierre said:

@GreenWoods Seperation from the mother is part of male development.

I know, and I have no problem with that. But I don't like seeing my parents worry/suffer because of me:/

But I suppose, unless I design my life according to their vision, this is invetible

31 minutes ago, WelcometoReality said:

@GreenWoods What is the purpose of the retreat?

Raising my level of consciousness, getting in touch with being, seeing through the illusions created by the ego and quenching my unquenchable thirst for Truth 

Edited by GreenWoods

Your parents are just starting to learn that their role is changing and they can't keep you safe anymore. No matter what you do with your life this is a painful process for most parents, just because of your age and the fact that it's really hard to let go after your main concern has been keeping your child safe for 19 years . Be patient with them but be true to your inner guide. 

As for staying safe, my own theory is that since the law of attraction brought me this far, it can also help me through. Know the things that raise your spirits is really important, even make a list of them, make a vision board of things that make you happy and raise your spirits, come here for support, try to have other real life people in your life you can go to if you can. Remember that as serious as this journey is, it's really just play. This is fun, it's the adventure of a lifetime. What's an adventure without some really scary, low times? 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw yes, you are right:)

I will do some additional work on my vision before I start

I like the idea of life being a play, Alan Watts also mentioned this often. Perhaps I will soon recognize it first hand instead of only knowing it intellectually