mandyjw

The Giving Tree

401 posts in this topic

@Truth Addict  :( 

Ice skating seems like a huge waste of time falling on your butt all over the ice until you learn to effortlessly glide along. 

What's worse than a dementor who wants to take your soul? A pompous dementor. But the magic is that you're just so annoyed by how pompous he is that you decide it's worth hanging out with him because you might get the satisfaction of being able to take him down a notch or two. xD

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Truth Addict I prefer to be surprised. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Truth Addict I believe that you are a pompous dementor. 

1 hour ago, mandyjw said:

What's worse than a dementor who wants to take your soul? A pompous dementor. But the magic is that you're just so annoyed by how pompous he is that you decide it's worth hanging out with him because you might get the satisfaction of being able to take him down a notch or two. xD

Is that why you were hanging out with me? :D

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@tsuki Whatever you think. :D

Show-off.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@tsuki :)

There's something energetically unique about this time of year, when it really starts to transition to cooler weather. It's my favorite time of year but it's also bittersweet. Since my awakening I'm very sensitive about my mood and state of mind. Abraham Hicks said that people say that they are sensitive to energy but that she would use the word "susceptible." That was a powerful pointer to me because I know that I need to work with this as it arises and not let my mind turn it into a characteristic. Increasingly I have to be outside more and more and if I feel my mood slipping just going out makes it feel so much better. It has a purifying effect. I'm not sure if I use it as a crutch or if I'm tapping into some older intelligence and need that one should be more connected with nature and the own gathering and harvesting of their food, especially this time of year. 

Yesterday I came down with a cold. We spent hours outside at a farm and horse fair then I took the kids out and picked blueberries from the backyard, then I went inside and still didn't feel right. So I took my daughter out for a hike at the falls, and got back and still felt the need to go for a run alone, even though I knew I should probably rest instead. Time doesn't feel like it works the same way anymore. As I got older I felt like my grip on reality and time was slipping away, and now there's no reason to fight it anymore. The problem is I am still struggling to get my practical life in order, and if I need to go outside I go outside. I'm not making much money, just enough to pay for daycare, health insurance and a few extras. I sometimes really want a puppy but spending the money and making the huge energy and time commitment doesn't feel right when I'm so lost in transition.

I got another dry erase board, and am going to take Nahm's suggestion. I can think of all kinds of things I like the idea of and want to work toward but they turn to dust before they materialize. I don't mean that in a depressing or defeatist way, just that, the only thing that really grips me is this very ephemeral feeling I get sometimes, almost always from being outside. I was looking out across the ocean and this distinctive feeling comes to me and feels really good. It feels ever so slightly like a desire and ever so slightly prophetic and to push it even further it feels like a calling to the West Coast at some point. But when I work to form these types of feelings into anything tangible or actionable they turn to dust. Maybe they are still just gestating. Maybe they are just to be enjoyed in the moment.

Last year around this time, we had our childless friends over and played a board game with them. They crushed us, but I did particularly bad. I started thinking about how my lifestyle was not challenging me intellectually in the least. Being a parent of young kids, doing basically production/factory like work and spending much of my energy learning to clear my mind and drop thoughts had let my ability to think intellectually degrade. I didn't want to challenge myself to think in depth or read a challenging book because I couldn't deal with the constant interruptions and demands from the kids. In that time also I made huge strides in understanding my emotions and being able to connect and accept people. I let myself feel better about it and figured that I had chosen what was better. 

Coming here has forced me to challenge myself again and integrate it with the progress I made. The formation of dogma is sneaky. My kids are getting more independent. The baby and toddler stages taught me skills and a level of patient love that is hard to learn and practice elsewhere, but a new chapter is starting. 

The vision board WORKS. I wrote down a few ideas and went out to mow part of the lawn and lots of light bulbs turned on. Now it's almost entirely full and I have some plans for Fall that give me greater peace to plan for the changing season, as if I'm creating it rather than at the mercy of it. 

Edited by mandyjw

This came to me in a dream/thought, so I'm not sure how helpful it is yet.

There are three traps.

Attachment.

Attachment to being detached. 

Attachment to being neither attached or detached.

These traps or more like stages that must be transcended in succession rather than "traps". 

I'm pondering this.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

19 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

These traps or more like stages that must be transcended in succession rather than "traps". 

This is in accordance with my experience.

28 minutes ago, tsuki said:

This is in accordance with my experience.

Yes, the only value in using the word trap is to motivate others or oneself to keep progressing. 

"Trap" is a cheap, ideological, marketing trick. A trick that must be played if one wants to pierce through the saturated market of today's viewer attention. It is very unfortunate that this word has caught on because it plays on the most basic instincts and that is counter-productive if one wants to be in touch with the higher self.

Spirituality is dialectical and things only seem as obstacles when you're starting to suffocate in their presence.
Today's traps are yesterday's accomplishments. It would be awesome if more people were 'trapped' by attachment to detachment, because it is freeing and more inclusive.

I don't know why I quoted that sentence in my previous post, but I meant that your insight is in accordance with my experience.

Edited by tsuki

12 minutes ago, tsuki said:

. It would be awesome if more people were 'trapped' by attachment to detachment, because it is freeing and more inclusive.

I'm not sure I feel the same way. I think that nonattachment can be just as pathological as attachment, and there's much more power in it. 

4 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

I'm not sure I feel the same way. I think that nonattachment can be just as pathological as attachment, and there's much more power in it. 

That's a pre/post fallacy. Psychopaths are not attached to non-attachment.
They are attached to such an extent that they dispose of their emotional, empathetic side to exploit people.
First, you need to be healthily attached to become attached to non-attachment. That happens when all of your needs are fulfilled securely.

Edited by tsuki

@tsuki Huh. That makes me wonder about different or opposite examples of that, like my mom. She is very unattached to things, very grounded and giving, yet she is very attached to her and her family's survival, and being a submissive, compassionate person, this all comes out as fear. You can't just tell someone that death is an illusion. You can't even tell yourself that, you still have instincts. 

Leo was right, that survival attachment needs to be seen for what it is. What happens after that, I don't know.