Doobz

FIFO work

7 posts in this topic

i'd like to get some opinions on FIFO work. FIFO being an Australian term for "fly-in/fly-out".

Essentially it's based on mining and allows one to live in a city or whatever you want and fly to work a remote mine site for a period of time.

I've been doing this for a long time now and love it due to the lifestyle it gives. Eg. 8 days on, 6 days off.

I'm in a good position but wouldn't say this is my passion as it's going against some of my values (eg. corporate greed etc.).

I have the opportunity to do a roster of 16 days on, 12 days off. With the plan to spend a bulk of this time off (and whilst at work) doing conciousness work and living freely. The days are long (12 hours) but the pay is really good and will allow myself at 30 to set myself up for an early retirement - currently not in a finanacially good position, but not in debt)

So doing 192 hour months (averages to a normal 40 hour week really) but allows bulk time away from work.

So the predicament is this, which I think is the same for anyone my age who has come across life purpose material:

1) Go for this new job, earn a heap of money to allow for financial freedom (one of my values) and in the time off integrate life purpose and conciousness work

2) Stick with current job - Over it and need a change but doing a 8days on, 6 days off roster - Save up some money to take time off and persue life purpose

I guess where i'm going with this is that i've put in the hard work to get into the position i'm in now but it's not a life purpose.

I love mining due to the lifestyle but a lot of time is being sacrificed for work aswell - but the time off is very attractive.

I'm leaning towards the first option. No it's not my life purpose, but it gives me the lifestyle I want, will allow financial freedom and will allow me to grow spiritually - moreso than doing a dead-end 9-5 job and with 12 days off there's time to work on life purpose too - or being distracted by entertainment because "i've earnt it".

I've never done 5 day work weeks and it's no very attractive to me. 2 days off a week doesn't seem like enough time to achieve anything away from work.

The downfall is the potential for burn-out or being so exhausted from working 16 days of 12 hour shifts that the time off is partially just recovering and resting.

Anyway,

Let me know what you think. Anyone else do this kind of lifestyle?

Hi Doobz

I am very surprised to find someone who is doing fifo in australia on the actualized.org forum

Moste people in fifo are living so uncounscious its ridiculous

There is a heavy alcohol culture and ok their time of they just buy toys with the money. Moste off them have no financial plan and look to do fifo untill they are 60 without having anything saved lol

I probably dont have to tell you

However if you're smart with the money, the oppertunity is massive. I never earned more money then here

I love it where you say, needing the time of to recover, because thats exacly whay you have to do indeed

Where do you work? I am in kalgoorlie based. I am looking to save up for retirement aswell but idk if my soul can handle fifo for 5-10 years

Feel free to add me on facebook @ Robin Bogaerts

Me and my partner half retired when we were 33. Half retired because we still “work” but only on what we love doing. It gives us enough money to keep going but it’s not a luxurious life, we have to watch all our expenditures and be very good with money. We only spend on what we really love and necessities. We still prefer it to the hectic, stressful jobs.

So if you really want this, I’d make and save as much money as possible in a shortest time possible. If you’re not sure, pick a more sustainable option that could give you at least some of the life you want and see what you can do with it.

I have an opinion on everything :D

I’m an Aussie who has faced a similar dilemma. I work in the electrical/engineering field and I have been presented with the opportunity to work at the mines countless times and have always turned it down despite the crazy amounts of money I could be earning. People think I’m insane for not taking the offers but I can’t bring myself to do it because it feels wrong to be involved ethically (for environmental and corporate greed reasons). Also as said above there’s a lot of unconscious people at the mines who I don’t really want to be around because it can rub off. Instead I’ve been working in the renewable energy sector (which ethically feels better to be involved in) for a lot less money and probably a lot more stress. Hard to know if I’ve made the right choice. Keen to hear your thoughts. 

@Jez Just from my own perspective, I'd feel much better about myself working in the renewable energy sector than working FIFO work, even if the pay was worse and there was more stress. Just the fact that I'd see myself as part of the solution and not part of the problem would be very consciously rewarding.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

@Jez the grass is always greener but I feel you've made the right choice. It's a conscious decision that's looking to solve the greater problems of the world. 

You're following your ethical side and instincts which is important to have a rewarding life. 

Being part of the industry is being part of the problem as mining has a bad rep for the environment and it's feeding the greater corporate greed system. Hardly conscious. 

I feel a lot of people ignore the environmental side - even if their gut tells them otherwise, or justify it to themselves that the impact is not as bad as other industries. Eg. Underground gold mining vs. coal mining. After all, having a good income is (arguably) part of survival.