Bill W

Actualized.org members jobs, studies etc.

60 posts in this topic

There is a thread about our location posted in this part of the forum, so that's why I've selected this part of the forum here. I'm not sure if it's been covered before? I'm assuming if the location thread was allowed to run, then this might be okay? 

Of course, some of us would not see the relevance of this but it does interest me. Not for ego reasons, not at all. I don't mean it to be something where we compete for the most interesting, most "spiritual" or most rewarding job. I don't mean it in anyway to be a measurement of "success". 

Do you work full time/part time? Do you want to move on with your chosen field or look for something different down the line?

I'm hoping answers like "unemployed" or "stay at home mum/dad" will be equally welcomed and valued.

Or if you are a student, what are you studying?

Edited by Bill W
Blatant stupidity

I am currently working full-time. My job title is Health Keyworker and I support people who are unemployed into work. This could also be voluntary work or education that acts as a stepping-stone to paid employment. Most of my clients have a health condition and/or a vulnerability, but they want to work or return to work. I help manage the health condition and play a coaching role in terms of job applications, job interviews and starting a new job. A lot of it is about resilience, confidence building and problem solving. Also, managing relationships with others. I'm loving it at the moment. 

Prior to this I was a psychiatric nurse, so my mental health knowledge/skills are suited to my current role. 

I've a background in supporting people with a range of mental health difficulties and also addictions. 

Full-time work as a steel detailer. Most people don't know what that is. When an owner wants a building, they hire an architect and engineer to design it, as well as a General Contractor (GC) to build it. The GC hires out their trades (plumbing, electrical, steel, etc) to subcontractors. We work for steel fabricators who work for the GC. The fabricators need to build every piece of steel in the building, and it's our job to interpret the engineer's drawings and show them how to do that. We need to provide a size for and locate every hole, bolt, weld, and piece of steel on the project. 

I use a 3D modeling system to create the model, then the system translates the 3D model into 2D drawings for plan views, beam and column details, and all the little pieces that connect everything. After we detail the project, it gets sent to the engineer for approval, then we clean up the approval comments and send the drawings via PDF to our customer, along with bolt lists, part quantities and sizes, and a bunch of other fun stuff (like machining files such as CNC data).

I really enjoy the 3D modeling parts of the job, especially watching something get built from the ground up. We also sometimes have to do some actual engineering work (all the engineering is supposed to be checked by a licensed engineer though). I went to college for structural engineering, so that's always a bit refreshing. There's a lot of social aspects as well, such as dealing with customers who are usually in stressful situations and trying to make things better for them or their shops. There are also some good opportunities to practice mindfulness, such as when a mistake is made and the fabricator is yelling and swearing at you and your job is to figure out who actually made the mistake.

Edited by jbram2002

The first step on a spiritual journey is to realize that everything you know to be true could be false.
The final step is the same.

-=+=-

Singer on the streets of Barcelona. This is my way of providing for the people. A glimpse of non-duality while i sing and open their chakras.

Studies; theology degree.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I'm a wall street banker. 

Studies: masters degree in mathematics 

I have a 9-5 where I work with VR and 3D modeling. I have a small business of my own where I do graphic design as well. I've recently started a YouTube channel on the side, it doesn't make me any money but jeez, lots of work

-

Just one year with studies to learn some autodesk software. I have half a year with philosophy as well

Edited by solr

I used to operate on dying companies. Now I resurrect dead ones.

I had a junior role at one of the big audit firms but found it too much, took a year out, wrote a book, then took an even more junior job in the UK civil service.

Back when I was looking for work, I created a belief that once I found a steady job, I might train to become a psychotherapist. I haven't really pursued it, though.

Edited by Dan502

Profound Familiarity
An Audio Journal

20 hours ago, Hellspeed said:

Singer on the streets of Barcelona. This is my way of providing for the people. A glimpse of non-duality while i sing and open their chakras.

Studies; theology degree.

cute, I lived in Barcelona, summer of 2017

Junior laboratory technician for a company that produces pigment for concrete and asphalt, I just started, I'd like to save up for a couple years and get a qualifcation as a life coach, and then start that 

Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown, ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.

I work part time at Tim Hortons but have a side hustle on my amazon e-commerce business. I’ve been building my business for 2 years so far. The first year I failed but I’m starting to see progress and made 5k month in total sales

Masters degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence. I'm a Data Scientist in a huge Brazilian bank. It's a new digital bank that does not exploit its clients and thus it's VERY HARD for us to make profit.

unborn Truth

purchasing manager for unconscious finance company after graduating in business & marketing.  <---- series of wrong decisions >:(

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Unemployed, well the plan was to work on an online business of mine, yet mainly due to my current living situation this hasn't even begun and it'll take a while to change that situation (no internet, at times no electricity etc. I live with others that don't pay their (our) bills and I can't just get out of that apartment contract and move). I find that if I am working jobs like others do, then there's a spiral into suicidal depression within the first week (usually). I am glad to be on government assistance (I'm letting them down currently since they expect me to run that business), and I am still trying to figure out how to survive without the feeling/urge to check out. 

I admire those, you guys, who just pull through, even when working shitty jobs.  

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

3 hours ago, iTommy said:

I admire those, you guys, who just pull through, even when working shitty jobs.  

I admire you for still trying to do personal development and engage on here when you are in such a situation. 

1 hour ago, Bill W said:

I admire you for still trying to do personal development and engage on here when you are in such a situation. 

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Engineering/Computer Science degree. Working for a small firm supporting a middle sized Estate Agents in the UK, and doing all their web development and support. 

I'd like to break out of programming for a living, I feel like sitting in front of a glowing rectangle eight hours a day is such a waste and probably really bad for my long term health. But in a roundabout way, I'm helping people find a home which is good, albeit with a view to fleecing them - London prices!

But the money's too good and the stress is low and my commute is ten minutes.

If I had the wherewithal and gumption to change things, I'd go work outdoors in a sunny climate, where people talk to each other, and live somewhere where the neighbours want to talk to you and fuck the money. But at 46, it's super hard to rock the the boat - although I don't have a wife and kids or even tied to my own home (yet). I still have a chance at having an amazing life, that's what I keep telling myself. The only thing getting in the way is me.

All stories and explanations are false.