d0ornokey

Powerful models thread

7 posts in this topic

That are not discussed often here! 

I'll start:

I've found the enneargram and MBTI personality models very helpful for personality discovery. Strengths, weaknesses, interests, character traits. There are specialized books on how to deal and best utilize your specific character traits 

- General theory of relativity 
- Newtonian mechanics.
- Watson and Crick's DNA model
- Quantum mechanics
- Darwin's Theory of Evolution
- Copernicus / Ptolemaic model of the  Cosmos.
- Entire field of mathematics is model (I think). What do mathematicians, physicists and statisticians do? They look at the outside world and develop a mathematical model about them , and then they test whether their model is correct or not in the outside reality.
-  I think all religions (hinduism, buddhism, chiristianity , islams) and philosophies (metaphysics, existentialism, ontology, stoicism, cynicism, empiricism, rationalism) are models. There is a term called mental model which means - the mental model of someone is his idea about how something works. 
Basically people observe the phenomenon outside of them, and their minds develop a certain understanding about them how it works , and that is there mental model, which may or may not be consistent with reality.

"Whatever you do or dream you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. "   - Goethe

My Blog- Writing for Therapy

-Neuro linguistic programming(NLP)

-The work

-Victim-Offender-Saviour: All conflicts have these three parties present, a conflict resolves it self when the victim realises that he/she is also the offender by putting him or her self in the victim position. When one becomes conscious of the offender position, a action can be taken so that all parties cease to exist and the conflict is resolved. I find it an interesting way of looking at your own conflicts and others.

On 6/17/2019 at 5:40 PM, Commodent said:

Internal Family Systems

I've done a lot of research on trauma, healing the inner child, self-love etc, everything related to eachother and it's my impression that this method might be the way to go most often. Seems very underrated.  Have not seen anything other with such depth and accuracy.
I've bought some books about it and I've just started to dive into it.

Have you had personal experience with this method?

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

@sgn Yes, I've used it as a foundation for most of my inner work. What I like about it is that it corresponds well with neuroscience and even goes well along with spirituality. I remember reading about it in "Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors" by Janina Fisher, a book built on cutting-edge trauma research. It was made clear that the model is very effective in treatment of treatment-resistant patients, something which I don't doubt since it matches my own experience.

Note that I did not learn this from any therapist, but instead used is as a powerful tool for self-therapy.

I do not use it as much anymore, at least not consciously, as I feel pretty integrated and I have a lot of other stuff to think about. But it was absolutely essential understanding for me in order to stop fighting with myself, and to develop self-compassion.

The reason I say this goes well along with spirituality, is that it makes you more aware of who you ACTUALLY are beyond all that inner turmoil. Because the whole point of the model is really to not get sucked into the limited consciousness of one part. It helped me get in touch with that healing, compassionate presence inside of me that has a very wide perspective, and is me in its totality. Whereas before I was always worrying, which was only really a small fragment of who I am. And yet it was ruling my life. The model helped me find my grounding, which I wasn't ever aware of before.

That is really the main focus in my life right now. To fully embody that inner presence. Always grounding, grounding, grounding. Whenever I notice a part flaring up, like worrying about being accepted, I notice it, and put my attention back again at my body and the joy of the present moment. Because that's really the end-goal of any trauma treatment: to be here and not there. I feel like one trap of this model is to falsely believe that you should just let your parts run wild. I remember I would give the flaring part my full attention, talk to it compassionately, and hope that it would oblige. It's way better than fighting with yourself at least, but at the same time I allowed myself to become destabilized. You want to trust that you can return to the present moment at any time and remain in control. Don't turn this into a limiting belief.

Whenever you notice a part flaring up, notice it, accept it as a part of you, take in its perspective, but DON'T let it suck you in. Stay grounded in the present moment and in your body, as much as possible.

If you find yourself getting stuck in a part consistently, you might want to do some journaling and give it your full attention, let it speak its truth fully, and try to alleviate its fears with positive talk. But don't let it consume you in your day-to-day life. That should be the goal at least.

I am myself, heaven and hell.