traveler

Is cosmetic surgery against spirituality/your souls purpose?

20 posts in this topic

I have this problem that I really can't find an answer to in myself. When I was younger I had problems with my appearance. I have 2 underdeveloped jaws. It's not that bad, I don't look abnormal or anything. I went to doctors and got accepted for a double jaw surgery. The last time I was at the doctors was about a year ago, and I will soon go to them again, and soon after that I will get braces on. The point of no return.

I have some old trauma and negative thinking patterns around my jaw, and that is the part of me who really wants this surgery. The other part of me is very unsure if this is the right choice for me and if this really is supposed to happen. The reason I am unsure is because of my intentions at the time. I was very depressed and thought my looks was the reason for all of my pain. (I don't even look that bad, I would say.) I have shifted in consciousness since then, and I don't live in that hell state anymore, now I just have the aftertaste hanging around me from that period.

I would apprieciate it so much if some of you guys could give me your perspective on this. Is it "wrong" to get a seemingly superficial/materialistic surgery if your think that It'll make it easier for you to love yourself and others?

Do what you want. But fixing your jaw is only fixing symptoms and not fixing the root of why it bothered you in the first place. You can either satisfy your current thinking patterns or change them. No choice is wrong here. 

I wouldn't look at it in the sense of it being "wrong" or "right". The more important question is why does one want to do it. The reason could be something that needs to be dealt with internally rather then externally, which is usually the case. Do some psychoanalysis on oneself. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

2 minutes ago, OctagonOctopus said:

I wouldn't look at it in the sense of it being "wrong" or "right". The more important question is why does one want to do it. The reason could be something that needs to be dealt with internally rather then externally, which is usually the case. Do some psychoanalysis on oneself. 

Yeah but there kind of this bias everytime I try to get an answer, cause I'm kind of pretty long into the process and I can't step away now I feel. I don't even now If I want to step away or keep going. It could also be the fear of the surgery that makes me question it.

@traveler

Yes, becuase there is a part of your ego mind disputing with another part of your ego mind. So talk to each of them, be the mediator, the one observing the dispute. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

@traveler Every time you go under knife, there could be complications. I would try to tackle this internal conflict first before agreeing to a surgery.

Look up 'cognitive dissonance' and learn ways to resolve it within yourself.

@traveler you wrote that since you shifted in consciousness, it doesn't bother you that much anymore. So chances are, when you keep doing consciousness work, it will probably bother you less and less. You could postpone the surgery another year and then see how you think about it then. 

@traveler is the surgery against spirituality? One perspective could be that spirituality entails acceptance of what is. On the other hand, you are a conscious creator and can do whatever you want. The surgery won't slow down your progress to enlightenment. Training your acceptance-of-what-is muscle may quicken it very slightly though. But before you waste time worrying about your looks you might rather get the surgery and invest the time in direct practices 

@traveler You could try to develop you jaw muscles with Falim chewing gum. I did it for a while and it gave me a nice jawline. I wouldn't reccomend surgery, just love yourself.

Also tounge posture is important not only for breathwork but also for facial bone structure. Mike Mews area of research is in this field.

maxresdefault (2).jpg

Edited by Anton_Pierre

I believe this is an important question that only you really can answer. A few things to consider:

• How would you feel about a woman getting a boob job?
  • How would you feel about a woman who had breast cancer getting cosmetic surgery to restore her former appearance?
  • How would you feel about this woman getting cosmetic surgery to enhance her former appearance?
  • How would you feel about a woman getting a boob job simply to attract more guys?
  • How would you feel about a woman getting a boob job because that's more attractive to herself and she wants to be the best version of herself that she can be?

Your answers will likely vary between these questions. Take them and apply them to your own motivations. 

You also mentioned that you're a long ways down the course of surgery. Keep in mind that you can withdraw from surgery at any point until they put you under. You are under no obligations. If you think it is wrong, withdraw. If you think it is fine, then go for it without regrets or hesitation. Simply put all of you behind your decision, own it, and accept it. I certainly won't judge you for it.

The first step on a spiritual journey is to realize that everything you know to be true could be false.
The final step is the same.

-=+=-

There is absolutely nothing wrong with cosmetic surgery. Just be honest with yourself as to why you do it and get it done.

Is it wrong that women everyday put on makeup? Is it wrong that people choose to wear nice clothes? If not, then there is nothing wrong with this either. 

My personal opinion is that if you have a specific aspect of your face or body you don't like, just change it if there is a surgery for it :D

The only thing about plastic surgery that turns me off is when people go overboard and change a majority of their features to the point of being unrecognizable. At that point it's like, "Ok bro you're really compensating there and not giving yourself any self-love." You know this is the case because they keep going under the knife, and they get addicted to the compounding procedures. It never seems to be enough.

(Keep in mind I'm not morally demonizing the latter group, just expressing my aversion to such life choices~)

It's Love.

Watch this before you go :) 

Edited by Barbara

@traveler Major L

Don't do it unless you already feel high self-esteem, emotionally ok, grounded. External changes won't change internal problems --> these problems will remain. If after you solve the internal problems, you still feel a desire for this surgery then go ahead.

(Hint: All problems are internal, literally they are thoughts/imagination - All you really have is sensations/feelings + thoughts/imaginations that is all that exist, check it for yourself)

Research what people feel after plastic surgery. 

internal problems CANNOT be fixed by external changes (and at the end of the day all problems are internal, there are more nuances to this but basically this is the case)

If your negative feelings or self-esteem issues are satisfied (basically gone) and you want to do surgery for strategic advantages, like attraction (sexually/romantically), charisma (career advantages, friendship advantages, etc.) then maybe then you can do it. Even then there are a plethora of social ski-------------------------------

Bruh who the fuck bumped this post. Just spent all my time writing this shit for some old ass post from 2019.

@traveler Can we get an update though

Edited by AlphaAbundance

49 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

Bruh who the fuck bumped this post. Just spent all my time writing this shit for some old ass post from 2019.

it was reopened by a spammer offering Brazilian butt lifts ^_^  

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

It wont affect spirituality, this is more about body image. I personally think that there is nothing wrong with it.

No cosmetic surgery isn't against spirituality/your souls purpose. Why would it even be.