Giulio Bevilacqua

Karma YOGA

20 posts in this topic

Could someone explain me what is Karma Yoga about ? 

I've read something but I didn't understand It well .

Thank you ! 

As far as I know, it's basically about completely devoting your life to service to others. If you are lucky, your ego will eventually dissolve (due to the constant selfless giving) and you might attain enlightenment (due to dissolving ego and good karma). But I suppose this enlightenment is hardly gonna be very deep and very unlikely to attain in the first place as this path is very indirect. So I recommend you combine it with direct practices like self inquiry and kriya yoga

The essence of the idea of Karma-Yoga is to meet with unpleasant things equally with pleasant things. That is, in practicing Karma-Yoga, one does not seek always to avoid unpleasant things, as people ordinarily do. Life is to be met with non-identifying. When this is possible, life becomes one's teacher; in no other sense can life become a teacher, for life taken as itself is meaningless, but taken as an exercise it becomes a teacher. It is not life that is a teacher, but one's relation through non-identifying makes it become a teacher. Nothing can change being so much as this practice - namely, to take the unpleasant things in life as an exercise. (Maurice Nicoll, Commentaries, Vol. 1)

In other words, it's about learning how to not take occurrences in life in a negative way.

It's a process of purifying the heart.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

This is quite advanced topic which requires for you to understand what is karma and what is dissolution. 

Sadhguru says what you can achieve in 1000years through meditation you can achieve the same with 100 years of volunteering. 

Bramacharies in sadhguru's ashram spend for the first 4-5 years just volunteering 20h a day simply. There's a good reason for it. 

It may not sound logical to you but one day you will get it. Liberation is not about mystical experiences It's about dissolving karma. Unless you understand the differerence you won't understand what karma yoga is. 

I don't know but I think Mt Kailash Marathon Monks is one example of karma yoga. Just run around for 1000days make some offerings and bam, you're enlightened :)

Zen also have a tradition of working in the garden for whole days. Also a form of karma yoga. 

Edited by Salvijus

2 hours ago, Salvijus said:

This is quite advanced topic which requires for you to understand what is karma and what is dissolution. 

Sadhguru says what you can achieve in 1000years through meditation you can achieve the same with 100 years of volunteering. 

Bramacharies in sadhguru's ashram spend for the first 4-5 years just volunteering 20h a day simply. There's a good reason for it. 

It may not sound logical to you but one day you will get it. Liberation is not about mystical experiences It's about dissolving karma. Unless you understand the differerence you won't understand what karma yoga is. 

I don't know but I think Mt Kailash Marathon Monks is one example of karma yoga. Just run around for 1000days make some offerings and bam, you're enlightened :)

Zen also have a tradition of working in the garden for whole days. Also a form of karma yoga. 

Interesting. I am planning a half year  retreat of 15 hours daily meditation. So you'd suggest that doing half a year volunteering work 15 hours daily would bring me closer to enlightenment/liberation than the meditation retreat (given that I would volunteer because I earnestly want to help and not in order to get something in return (spiritual growth))? I highly doubt this is probable but I am open to it, would be life-changing...

what's your opinion on that?

59 minutes ago, GreenWoods said:

Interesting. I am planning a half year  retreat of 15 hours daily meditation. So you'd suggest that doing half a year volunteering work 15 hours daily would bring me closer to enlightenment/liberation than the meditation retreat (given that I would volunteer because I earnestly want to help and not in order to get something in return (spiritual growth))? I highly doubt this is probable but I am open to it, would be life-changing...

what's your opinion on that?

Listen, please dont make absolute laws out of everything a guru spills.

All these different types of yogas are dependent on the particular build and structure of the seekers.

If your inherent tendency is to help the world, change the world through good action, giving yourself up for the happiness of what you consider others then karma yoga is for you and you wouldn't be able to sit in silent, secluded meditation for 15 hours a day in the first place.

On the other hand, if are puzzled by all the existential and personal mysteries and faultlines, then you wouldn't be able to function straight until you extinguish that inner fire once and for all.

So its best if you look at your own build and decide what yoga path is suitable for you instead of believing which guru measured which yoga by what degree.

For me, the path of Jnana yoga, the structure of ego, the 3 states of experience, mechanism of knowledge is conceptually so clear and I am so convinced about it, that I cant make myself do any other kind of practice or read about other kind of yoga other than self inquiry. Even if I try, within first minute my internal system responds ''stop wasting time. You know where the main dish is"

If i didnt understand the concepts and was not convinced or refused to open my mind about it, then instead of direct investigation into the main dish, i'd have to go through other appetizers to make my way to the main dish. 

Either way, there is NO superior or inferior yoga. You'll go through the path you'll need to go. Whats necessary from us is to acknowledge it and being honest about it. And then owning that path and moving forward with determination.

Hope your 6 months long retreat goes well. Man i wanna plan such a blessed event as well :D

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

5 minutes ago, Preetom said:

Listen, please dont make absolute laws out of everything a guru spills.

All these different types of yogas are dependent on the particular build and structure of the seekers.

If your inherent tendency is to help the world, change the world through good action then karma yoga is for you and you wouldn't be able to sit in silent, secluded meditation for 15 hours a day in the first place.

On the other hand, if are puzzled by all the existential and personal mysteries and faultlines, then you wouldn't be able to function straight until you extinguish that inner fire once and for all.

So its best if you look at your own build and decide what yoga path is suitable for you instead of believing which guru measured which yoga by what degree.

For me, the path of Jnana yoga, the structure of ego, the 3 states of experience, mechanism of knowledge is conceptually so clear and I am so convinced about it, that I cant make myself do any other kind of practice or read about other kind of yoga other than self inquiry. Even if I try, within first minute my internal system responds ''stop wasting time. You know where the main dish is"

If i didnt understand the concepts and was not convinced or refused to open my mind about it, then instead of direct investigation into the main dish, i'd have to go through other appetizers to make my way to the main dish. 

Either way, there is superior or inferior yoga. You'll go through the path you'all need to go. Whats necessary from us is to acknowledge it and being honest about it. And then owning that path and moving forward with determination.

Hope your 6 months long retreat goes well. Man i wanna plan such a blessed event as well :D

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer:)

I also like self inquiry most, I will definitely spend those months doing it combined with some other techniques. 

I wish you all the luck that the opportunity to also do such a retreat will turn up:)

@Giulio Bevilacqua @Giulio Bevilacqua

(I partially disagree with what preetom said. - @Preetom)

I am giving my limited understanding of karma yoga.Please do read more.

Karma yoga is a practicing spirituality in real life.

Karma yoga means doing the duty but not concerned about the outcome or result.What ever result comes one accept them as it is as gods wish.

--- The illusion of free will,illusion of control,desirelessness,equanimity in all situations etc.

Karma yoga is doing the duty with out the idea I am the door.It is suggested that the body mind are just tools of the god and god is the doer.

Karma yoga not only gives oppurtunity to purify mind but also brings the best mixture of Satvik Guna (Peace,Equanimity),Rajasic Guna (Active,Agressive) and Tamo Guna(Laziness,inertness,unconcious behaviour) to the personality,body.

Please read about the three gunas for accurate description.

Karma yoga as service breaks the selffish,self centered narrow minded mindset (Greed,miser) opens up the heart.Makes the mind broader -  compassion towards fellow living beings,helping the ooor,suffering what ever one could physically or intellectually )

The combination of

Gnana + Ashtanga Yoga + Karma yoga + Devotion (Surrender) is the best just not for realizing the truth but also for a healthy body and mind.

The more I read the more I understand the greatness of the paths.

The paths are complementary to each other and so use the best of the combination.

In short its a way of authentic spiritual living.

Edited by Jkris
Added

2 minutes ago, Jkris said:

Karma yoga means doing the duty but not concerned about the outcome or result.What ever result comes one accept them as it is as gods wish.

--- The illusion of free will,illusion of control,desirelessness,equanimity in all situations etc.

Karma yoga is doing the duty with out the idea I am the door.It is suggested that the body mind are just tools of the god and god is the doer.

Karma yoga not only gives oppurtunity to purify mind but also brings the best mixture of Satvik Guna (Peace,Equanimity),Rajasic Guna (Active,Agressive) and Tamo Guna(Laziness,ibertness,unconcious behaviour) to the personality,body.

Karma yoga as service breaks the selffish,self centered narrow minded mindset (Greed,miser) opens up the heart.

The combination of

Gnana + Ashtanga Yoga + Karma yoga + Devotion (Surrender) is the best just not for realizing the truth but also for a healthy body and mind.

The paths are complementary to each other and so use the best of the combination.

Kudos to this.

Swami Vivekanda too instructed following a balanced combination of all 4 yogas in the beginning. And then eventually, one particular yoga will feel more attractive and effortless to the particular seeker depending on his/her tendencies.

Then that becomes ones main yoga while the rest may continue in the background.

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

The chances that volunteer work will lead to your awakening is extremely low.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I think I'm kinda Karma Yoga.  Karma Yogis focus on taking action in the first instance.

@Joseph Maynor In practice your action will all be co-opted by ego and survival, thus perpetuating Maya.

The most important thing is changing your state of consciousness. Without that, all actions stems from a fundamentally deluded state.

The truth is it's good to do them all - karma, kriya, bhakti and jnana yoga.

A fool-proof path.

14 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Joseph Maynor In practice your action will all be co-opted by ego and survival, thus perpetuating Maya.

The most important thing is changing your state of consciousness. Without that, all actions stems from a fundamentally deluded state.

Actually, you wanna integrate (integrate the pros but leave behind the cons of) Jnana, Kriya, Karma, and Bhakti Yogas, along with all other teachings available in the Collective Conscious and the Collective Unconscious.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Just now, Joseph Maynor said:

Actually you wanna integrate Jnana, Kriya, Karma, and Bhakti Yogas.

You can do all that.

But when you chase 4 rabbits you may end up catching none.

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You can do all that.

But when you chase 4 rabbits you may end up catching none.

You only use what benefits your life and the relationship connections you choose to create and develop for yourself, but those relationship connections can become very large, as in a community or even way beyond that.  But it all starts from you being highly-developed, knowing what you want, taking massive action, and that spreading outward more and more as time goes on.  You're getting a kiss back from reality due to what you put into reality.  It's what I call an Upward Spiral.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Sadhguru says that karma yoga is when you are able to act joyfully, not to get something. I think it has to do a lot with life purpose, that should be a voluneer service to the society.

Ultimately, Personal/ Interpersonal Development Work should be thought of as a career that has the best kick-back benefits.  If you can think that way about this work, you'll be so far ahead of most people.  But this is only for the very advanced and very motivated in this work.  This is the teacher path, the Brahman path if you will.  Brahmans make a career out of teaching and doing Personal/Interpersonal Development Work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman

Edited by Joseph Maynor

On 6/10/2019 at 11:24 PM, Jkris said:

Karma yoga not only gives oppurtunity to purify mind but also brings the best mixture of Satvik Guna (Peace,Equanimity),Rajasic Guna (Active,Agressive) and Tamo Guna(Laziness,inertness,unconcious behaviour) to the personality,body.

Karma yoga as service breaks the selffish,self centered narrow minded mindset (Greed,miser) opens up the heart.Makes the mind broader -  compassion towards fellow living beings,helping the ooor,suffering what ever one could physically or intellectually )

The combination of

I am writing on this again to emphasize why there is no other yoga or path other than ones own path.

Notice all the goodies. Acting without the sense of doership, without expecting results, not wanting things to be any different than they are, perfect equanimity and detachment etc. Do you think that an ego mind can practice doing that?

No! These are all byproducts of Gods infinite being. Just like as body minds, how many hours did we practice being selfish, regarding the body as I, expecting results and living in time, unpeaceful, unequanimous, wanting things to be different, being the agent of action to master these 'skills'?

None! They are all default byproducts of being an ego.

So upon liberation, those goodies of "karma yoga" comes by default of being the Self.

This is my point here. If someone really understands this and is logically convinced about it, he will be unable to go in the world and 'try' to emulate this enlightened state of being, it will feel utterly fake and inauthentic. In him, there will always be the dire need to get rid of the ego as that is the main dish. Otherwise, when an ego tries to mimic enlightenment, we get religion and dogmas and at best stage green hippie superficial spirituality.

Now, if someone doesn't clearly see this pattern and not convinced about it, then he wont able to pursue self inquiry and the only way would be roundabout ways to reach the main dish. But that doesn't make that roundabout path inferior because that particular seeker cant help but following his own path.

And notice another interesting point on how there is no secluded yoga and ultimately all yoga are one. See the points on karma yoga

- leaving all expectation and surrendering oneself to gods will (essence of bhakti)

- actions without sense of agency (essence of Jnana)

- perfect equanimity (essence of raja) 

Notice how at the ultimate level all yogas become indistinguishable. As Ramana Maharshi said, those who distinguish between various yogas, dont know any single yoga properly.

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''