lacsativ

Self-Actualizing with a 9-5 job - I'd like to hear your opinions

5 posts in this topic

I recently got hired as an entry-level technical support agent for a call center. It's my first job and came as a result of deciding that it's time I paused the academic/formal education bubble and got some first-hand experience at being financially independent and investing my time and energy into something more substantial than taking courses I'm not particularly fond of at this period of my life and just chasing grades. Besides that, the Romanian education system does a very poor job at preparing one for the challenges of being a functional citizen and employee, and it feels like it's time I took on the challenge and see where it goes. 

I was surprised to find a very welcoming environment - the colleagues are diverse in their own ways, friendly, and willing to help, my manager and superiors are all very understanding, the employees of the client that we work with are also polite and rarely become impatient - I don't feel treated as an entry-level employee, I feel more like an individual who decided to join the team and works with people rather than for people. Overall I would say that it's a good example of a corporation transitioning into the green stage, caring about its client as well as employees. 

When it comes to the actual work there is a learning curve, which, although I don't find particularly interesting, becomes satisfying the more I learn how it works and how to navigate it. I'm trying to look at it through the lenses of Wilber's Integral Model and enjoy the sense that I am part of a bigger context. My team's client is one of the biggest water services in the U.K. and it feels good to know that my work is a little piece of this huge and complicated puzzle. 

I am glad to say I don't hate my first job. I couldn't say I love it either, but I totally see myself getting into it. There is also the possibility of promotion after as little as 4-5 months. I've been congratulated for the good job I've been doing as a new-joiner so far, and honestly, it feels like a breath of fresh air. It reminds me of the confidence in my potential which got lost throughout the grindy years of formal education which offered little to no motivation. 

Now I have a couple of questions for those of you who work a 9-5 five job and also do self-actualization:

• How do you motivate yourself to give your best at your job and exceed expectations? 
    • Are there any books your recommend on this topic? I bought the book list but I also want to know which books have helped you personally
  • How do you combine self-actualization with your unrelated full-time job?
    • How can I use this job not only for professional growth, but also for spiritual growth and to become more conscious?
  • How do you go about self-actualization outside your full-time job?
    • What sacrifices do you make to practice and actualize in your free time? 
    • What are the most essential self-actualization practices you do?
    • How do you motivate yourself to stay consistent?
    • Is there anything you do to stay focused and energized even after the end of the shift when distractions become tempting?
  • How do you go about setting goals and planning?
    • I recently decided it's time I focused on being consistent in what I do and I'm trying to create a blueprint for the next year, any tips for that?
    • I'm looking forward to studying the topics in "Start Here" on Actualized.org. I am familiar with some of the topics, but I've always lacked consistency and feel that I've been using this research more as an escape than real learning. Do you have any recommendations?
  • Is the Life Purpose Course worth it for my current situation? 
    • I have this fear that I don't have enough life experience to work towards a life-purpose yet. 
    • I'm thinking about devoting the next three or four years to being consistent in whatever I decide to do so I can learn more about myself.
    • $250 is 70% of my monthly wage (Romanian economy) so I am reluctant to invest the sum for the moment, but still feel like I would benefit from a guided process for finding a direction. 
  • Finally, for the older users of the forum, what do you wish you had known when starting out as a 21 year old young adult? Share your wisdom!

Thank you for taking the time to read and wish all of you all the best!

Books - So good they can't ignore you (Cal Newport)

Goals - have a morning habit or ritual that starts your day with a 'win'.

Advice to younger self - watch your diet! It is really easy to gain weight once you start working a 9-5 desk job.

On 09/06/2019 at 0:07 PM, lacsativ said:

Is the Life Purpose Course worth it for my current situation? 

Do you feel that your work is alligned with your values? If you don't know your values... do you feel like there is "something more out there for you"? 

I assume if you have to ask, the course is good for you. 

I have this fear that I don't have enough life experience to work towards a life-purpose yet. 

Read "So good they can't ignore you" as @Knock suggested. Nobody is born with skills he/she needs. They are gained through deliberate practice in hours, months and years. The book also gives very practical tips for career navigation and disputes the popular "passion theory" saying that "you just need to grow some balls and follow your dreams" which is nonsense. 

$250 is 70% of my monthly wage (Romanian economy) so I am reluctant to invest the sum for the moment, but still feel like I would benefit from a guided process for finding a direction. 

Can you save some money over few months? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Now that I work full time i dont self actualize except of learning new stuff, watching some videos from this channel, and no more. I personally need optimal conditions to summon a meditative state that bring me a profitable no-self experience, and with the stress and hurry of a 9-5 lifestyle that is not possible.

On 9.6.2019 at 1:07 PM, lacsativ said:

• How do you motivate yourself to give your best at your job and exceed expectations? 

Why do you want to give your best at your job? 

If your current job doesnt align well with your values and interests its going to be hard to give your best. To put in other words: Would you do your job for free? If your answer is no. Then you might want to see if money or experience is something that you want.

If you know you can use the money you earn or the experience you get for something that inspires you, you now have a purpose for doing your job.

• How do you combine self-actualization with your unrelated full-time job?

Find ways to live your values while doing your job. You can also meditate while doing simple tasks for example.

For your other questions maybe look around this forum, you will find your answers.

For the live purpose course you could ask Leo to give you a discount?