Leo Gura

Who's Interested In Conscious Politics?

747 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Shiva said:

This definitely sounds good on paper and I might've felt a sense of totality and perfection during peak experiences, but after some time, everyday-life comes knocking at the door again... So, isn't deeper embodiment of the experience what I might be lacking?

Of course if you are not conscious then no amount of words can help you. But by chasing consciousness you cut yourself off from the very perfection which you are seeking.

It's the classic paradox of spiritual seeking.

How do you walk a path which has zero steps? And yet you would be a fool not to walk it.

So in practice we must do some kind of practices.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

It's great you are doing this series, this election will be my first chance to vote and I want to do it right

4 hours ago, tenta said:

Ofc egos want others to suffer and it can come up with a wide array of justifications for wanting others to suffer, no point in denying this

That's not true. At least not for me.

When an ego is fully satisfied, it will only spread love and happiness.

Universal basic income, yea or nay? (Specifically, Andrew Yang’s freedom dividend policy proposal, $1,000 a month for everyone).

Also, resource based economy, yea or nay? (Is this how an enlightened society would operate? Will it someday be feasible for humanity?)

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

7 minutes ago, InfinitePotential said:

Universal basic income, yea or nay? (Specifically, Andrew Yang’s freedom dividend policy proposal, $1,000 a month for everyone).

Nay if it involves VAT taxes, cutting welfare programs, and eating into welfare benefits.

Nay if it means no free college, no Medicare For All, no $15 minimum wage.

Yea if it is done properly taking all the above into account.

48 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

• I think minimum wage and UBI can work in tandem. Instead of raising minimum wage, raise the amount of UBI. I think minimum wage is a lesser substitute for UBI as long as UBI is stable. Also, after AIs take over jobs, minimum wage is going to be meaningless. Even by the most conservative estimates, it will take less than 200 years for AIs to obliterate the labor market.
  • What do you mean by free college? Free harvard? Free stanford?
    • By the way, I think college is becoming worse day by day. You don't get much by getting a dysfunctional education for free. It has run its course.
48 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Nay if it involves VAT taxes, cutting welfare programs, and eating into welfare benefits.

• Do you think americans can fund UBI without cutting welfare programs? How much do you think they can pour into UBI without cutting welfare? or without cutting military budgets? Do you suggest starting with a small amount such as 100 USD per month?
  • I don't care much where UBI comes from. VAT can turn out to be a good stable source of UBI in practice although it can be bad in theory because the rich don't spend much.
    • I think we better focus on how to stabilize UBI rather than on where UBI comes from. Trying to optimize as much as possible prematurely can significantly delay or kill UBI.
Edited by CreamCat

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Yea if it is done properly taking all the above into account.

I would ask ~how do we pay for it then~ but when the top 3 wealthiest American families have as much combined wealth as the bottom 160 million Americans, not to mention the US spending more on military than like the next 20 or so nations combined, that question seems ridiculous. 

Edited by InfinitePotential

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

How do you pay for UBI? Easy:

• Wealth tax on people with net worth over $10M
  • Raise taxes on people with income over $1M/year
  • Raise capital gains tax
  • Raise taxes on passive income
  • Wall Street tax
  • Real estate speculation tax
  • Much higher taxes on real estate that is a 2nd or 3rd home.
  • Raise taxes on corporations with cash reserves over $1 billion
  • High taxes on yatchs and private jets and luxury cars

No VAT, and people who earn over $200k/yr do not get a UBI at all since they don't need it.

26 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

people who earn over $200k/yr do not get a UBI at all since they don't need it.

• It could easily cost more to find those people and update their status over time than to just give UBI to everyone.
Edited by CreamCat

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Much higher taxes on real eatate that is a 2nd or 3rd home.

Taxing a 5th home or a big house more is better because many middle-class people who are actually working-poor own up to 3 small houses just to defend against inflation and pay for end-of-life medical bills which serve as inheritance tax on middle class. A million dollars can evaporate within a few years if one spends the money in wrong ways. I saw a man burn through 5 million dollars and become a working poor within a decade. There's really not much gravity to single-digit million dollars. Taxing two-digit million dollars more makes more sense.

It seems you give more rooms to corporations than to individuals.

Edited by CreamCat

9 hours ago, Shiva said:

From god's perspective this may be true. But do you have god's perspective 24/7? I don't. So I really prefer having jesus around instead of Hitler.

A memorable quote from Ken Wilber's 10 cd set Kosmic Consciousness -- "Here in the relative world. If you're in a bar and you see Hitler and you happen to have a baseball bat,,,, whack the boy!"

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

2 hours ago, CreamCat said:
  • It could easily cost more to find those people and update their status over time than to just give UBI to everyone.

It costs the IRS zero to know your income. You report it to them! If you report over $200k, no UBI for you the next year. If your income drops below $200k/yr a few years later, then you start getting it again. So you always have a safety net but you don't need to use it when you are kicking ass.

The actual dollar limits aren't so important. Those can be tweaked to find a good sweet spot.

Very profitable corporations like Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and Walmart should be taxed significantly more. They are getting away with robbery.

Small biz should be taxed less. Anything under $1M should have low tax so more people are starting small businesses. In fact there should be government rewards for starting a small biz.

The point is that people do not need more than a few mil to live extremely well. Anything beyond that is actually unhealthy for society and selfish.

29 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It costs the IRS zero to know your income. You report it to them! If you report over $200k, no UBI for you the next year. If your income drops below $200k/yr a few years later, then you start getting it again. So you always have a safety net but you don't need to use it when you are kicking ass.

The actual dollar limits aren't so important. Those can be tweaked to find a good sweet spot.

It seems to me that not giving UBI to the rich will make less than one percent difference because there are less than 1% who make 200K per year.

I am curious as to whether it actually makes real tangible difference. Perhaps, some experiments can reveal counter-intuitive insights.

29 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The point is that people do not need more than a few mil to live extremely well.

I guess a few millions are enough for most people. Give me a few millions, and I'll prove it.

Edited by CreamCat

@Shiva It's very important for gov to distinguish between small biz and medium biz and gigantic biz.

The rules must be very different for all 3.

Gigantic biz needs the most oversight because of how much damage they can do if allowed to roam free.

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

At the same time it is very expensive and bureaucratic to start a business. We have almost the least favorable conditions for small businesses in Europe.

That's because big corporate players don't want you to create businesses and compete with them. They want to create monopolies.

You make drug illegal, and you keep competitors out of business. Making it difficult to create a new business is similar to making drug illegal.

Throw as much bullshit as possible toward competitors.

Edited by CreamCat

@Leo Gura Was discussing politics and I thought of something that really struck with me. This idea of individual vs collective thinking has really resonated with me as of late. I see a lot of conflicts arise from thinking of either side. Stage orange is very individual, stage green is very collective. And balancing and understanding both sides is nearing stage yellow territory yeah?

I started thinking about how anyone who opposes the policies of say Bernie Sanders are a lot of the time advocating for more individual perspectives. They likely have a lot of orange traits. Bernie is introducing more collective thinking. Constraining the min and max of capitalism. The green are largely gonna be for him since they have a greater emphasis on collective and it provides a bigger sense of balance. (Although the green might want to take it too far collective)

Then I started thinking of capitalism vs communism which has this same individual vs collective idea. (What I mean is paper communism if humans weren't so corrupt.)

This duality between individual and collective seems to be a huge source of conflict between people who can't find balance between the two. Do you think this is a big part of it?

Edited by Shadowraix

4 hours ago, Shiva said:

I was in NZ recently. There, starting a small business is almost as easy as sending one email.

Also in Germany, my native country, starting a business is a lot easier and better incentiviced than in Spain.

I want to create a one-man company where my money is protected from the forces that are trying to censor the internet. Where can I create such a protected one-man company with a minimum hassle?

Edited by CreamCat

22 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I'm no expert, but I know that in Estonia you can get e-residency and start a LTD company with only about 2,000 EUR, all without physically having to be there.

I don't know much more about the details or the pros and cons, I just know that a friend of mine did it. So, maybe this could be something for you to read up about?  

You might want to check this out: https://e-resident.gov.ee/

I researched into creating a company in estonia. I am not totally sure, but I read that the estonian banks are eager to close foreigner bank accounts and take money from foreigners because the estonian government closed banks for allowing foreigners to participate in shady financial transactions.

Estonian government had egoic survival agenda to exclude shady foreign investors. Estonian banks had egoic survival agenda to survive government crackdown by closing foreigner bank accounts. Estonian banks usually don't like to open up bank accounts for foreigners, and they are eager to close foreigner bank accounts.

I don't think it's safe to open a bank account as a foreigner in estonia.

I also had to have a physical mail address in estonia in order to avoid reporting tax to my home country. That meant I had to pay for a private agency in estonia for receiving my business mails and scanning them for me. I was not comfortable with the idea of allowing strangers to open up my business mails and scan them.

Edited by CreamCat

On 7/6/2019 at 3:25 AM, Leo Gura said:
On 7/6/2019 at 1:07 AM, Norbert Lennartz said:

Oh yes, one country forbids discussing the details of the Holocaust, one country forbids discussing the details of 9/11, one country communitizes the production of bread, one country communitizes the production of shoes, in one country women are not allowed to drive a car, in one country they are not allowed to drive diesel through the city. You cannot know what is happening.
But whatever happens: What is certain is that all this is a systemic continuation of the survival strategy of the state idea of each individual.

The fundamental basis of any "good policy" or "good government" is that you are able to participate voluntarily. It is an offer that you can refuse gratefully. But that would violate the definition of a state. 

Enough of your libertarian foolishness. You clearly don't understand or appreciate how society works. You are defending an ideological position. Don't bother denying it, I spotted you from day 1.

Haha so true, from day one!