Cuddy5269

Pursuing enlightenment

13 posts in this topic

I've read books on enlightenment and watched videos. I've been doing spiritual practices. I still dont understand what consciousness is. How do you get yourself to spend decades pursuing something you dont understand?  I won't be lazy I'll put in the hard work,but how do I get myself to really believe and feel motivated when I dont really understand what I'm trying to do? I fear the consequences of not awakening. The only other motivation that keeps me going is knowing the world needs more people who have a deep understanding of life.

That's one thing I haven't done that I need to try. Good point.

@Cuddy5269 Thats the puzzle isn't it ? Keep hammering who I am.And one day it will happen on its own.

Don't try to use the cheat codes or help aka psychedelics ??? what's the fun in cracking a puzzle using cheat codes ???

1 hour ago, Cuddy5269 said:

I've read books on enlightenment and watched videos. I've been doing spiritual practices. I still dont understand what consciousness is. How do you get yourself to spend decades pursuing something you dont understand?  I won't be lazy I'll put in the hard work,but how do I get myself to really believe and feel motivated when I dont really understand what I'm trying to do? I fear the consequences of not awakening. The only other motivation that keeps me going is knowing the world needs more people who have a deep understanding of life.

What specifically have you read? Of course you wouldn't spend decades pursuing something you don't understand. Why not approach a guru and learn from them?

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

@Cuddy5269 Well, there are benefits to spiritual practices even if enlightenment doesn't happen. More peace and acceptance, better health, etc.

But you have to trust that your understanding will grow... and it will. 

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

4 hours ago, Cuddy5269 said:

Whatever consciousness is, it's important to understand that you already are that. So you don't have to search for what you already are, you just have to drop the things you are not.

I'm actually in a pretty similar boat to you my friend. I have no idea what "consciousness" is or what it does or why it's there. However, one thing I have dedicated my entire life to, is the ability to hear the vibration of the voice of God. The thing is, the answer you seek cannot be found. Because the answer is, there is no questioner. 

With some of the strong confirmations that I've had I don't mind being lost or confused or absolutely clueless about what I'm trying to achieve...because (one of my insights is) the mind is only a distraction. The idea that there is a path, and that I need to follow it. The idea of the ego. See everything is ego. You cannot talk about anything if everything is ego driven. My insights have lead me to follow the vibration, follow the peace, follow the glimpses of the future that I see. I know that the path I'm on will lead me to God and infinite beauty. How do I know this with such certainty that I don't even need to understand it? I duno. I just do. I listen to God's voice VERRYYYYYYYY closely. 

@Aaron p that is very key to this work.  It is knowing without "knowing".   Once you conceptualize it you have lost it.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Thanks for the insights everyone. If I understand right me not knowing keeps me from identifying with anything. It keeps me open to the truth without the ego telling me what's true. 

Like you said if you try to conceptualize it ,you will be lost.

@Cuddy5269 indeed.  Truth is counterintuitive.  Discovering Truth lies in the absence of thought.  So when meditating try to simply be present and BE.  Find something in the room that you can stare at..such as your hand or any object.  Acknowledge or become conscious of it.  Then back off any further thought.   Notice this is Actual in your direct experience.   That actuality I.E. the present moment - the now - that is consciousness or Being.   

Do not get discouraged because every minute of meditation you will make progress, even if it doesn't feel like it.  

I would also recommend going through Leos enlightenment videos from the first one on as it will teach you self inquiry as well.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.