CreamCat

Sleep is your superpower | Matt Walker

19 posts in this topic

• Lack of sleep destroys your brain's ability to turn short-term memory into long-term memory.
    • You cannot take in new memory when you are deprived of sleep.
  • Lack of sleep significantly decreases your testosterone.
  • Sleeping for 6 hours instead of 7 hours
    • reduces the activity of natural killer cells by 75%.
      • Natural killer cells are a part of immune system. They are responsible for defending our body against cancers.
      • Thus, if you don't get enough sleep, you are far more likely to get cancer.
    • modifies your genes such that
      • Inflammation increases
      • The risk of cardiovascular disease increases
      • The activity of cancer-promoting genes increases
      • The activity of genes responsible for immune system decreases
  • World Health Organization classifies shift work as a carcinogen. In other words, shift work causes cancer.
  • Tips for better sleep
    • Regular sleep schedule
    • Keep the room temperature cool. Keep it around 18 degree celcius. When the room is hot, it's difficult to fall asleep.
    • Stop drinking caffeinated beverages at least 8 hours before you go to bed
    • Do not take naps for too long. Avoid naps if possible.
  • Sleep is not an optional luxury. It is a non-negotiable biological necessity.

Lesson

• Don't skimp on sleep ever. Prioritize sleep.
  • In my experiences, sleep and shower are the best tools for building positive momentum and maintaining productivity.
Edited by CreamCat

Even more important is to sleep in full cycles of aproximately 90 min, because when you wake up breaking the cycle you are a zombie unable to think and with pain in the body. At least in the weekend I disable the clock alarm and let my bosy wake naturaly.

False.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I don't believe in sleep schedules anymore, the human mind is organic, you don't need neither to sleep at night, BUT you need to sleep in a very dark place.

Although I believe you should never use a clock if you can.

My sleep-hack  :

brainstorming~

- avoid all light in the room when asleep, stop having big light in the eyes before sleep ( like 1-2 hours ) I mainly draw and listen podcast. ( not talking about avoiding screen, use flux and this kind of apps aswell, just very low light if you still read on your phone )

- having a natural temper, no artificial heat is better, it depends of what works for you, it's good to watch the ° tho and see what fits.

- for nap it's about having less than 20 min of YOUR full cycle ( that is between mostly 90 et 130 minutes )

- The perfect tight would be, sleep when you're tired.

- coffee is still fluing in blood after 12 hours, so your only and first cup should be in the morning, and avoid stimulant is better on a long term. Do not make coffee or stimulant an habit, more a poker card. ( and work better this way )

- Do not smoke weed before sleep aswell / it fuck REM sleep if you're high

- Better avoid all drugs if your life and discipline/goals allow it.

- Do not eat before sleep aswell ( 4 hours before ) and something not heavy on the body load.

- You can use triptophan or herbal sometimes to help fall asleep ( do not abuse it, but if it can mind help )

- Use asmr or lower noise to help focus the mind on something else than thought ( if ruminating thoughts are still a problem )

- Do not use any types of medication to sleep ( EVEN melatonin, & highest dose efficient is 0.3 MG, you read WELL ). WORK harder the day. ( or take 1/4 of what is  advised use the LOWEST dose, a total poker card. )

- Food to take before sleep ( natural triptophan )

black chocolate + walnut 

> activity that helps before sleep like :
meditating - reading - journaling - podcast - drawing

Do not use your bed when you don't sleep in it.

( habit of mind, your subconscious will believe bed = getting dynamic / not getting sleep )

Aeris  x-x

just what I find working for me. 

Edited by Aeris

Excellent book, prob the best I've read this year. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@CreamCat What's your take on different sleep styles like polyphasic or bi-phasic sleep?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319425.php
https://www.supermemo.com/en/archives1990-2015/articles/polyphasic

I tried it for a month or longer two months or so this year, but relatively unsuccessful.

Is it healthy?

I tried advice from a book saying that you want to find your magic number which is around 7h and 10 min for me of sleep. 

Is it feasible in the long term to do smth. Like this ? I listened to someone yesterday explaining that he transcended his body. He had a lot of energy or "flow" and therefore did not need a lot of sleep. This is also what I heard about bodhisattvas.

@ValiantSalvatore bi-phasic sleep schedule can work. poly-phasic sleep schedule is said to be bad for body.

Spanish people enjoy siesta(afternoon nap) which is essentially bi-phasic sleep schedule.

I think bi-phasic sleep reduces productivity because it cuts into the most productive hours. I avoid eating too much during lunch to avoid siesta.

32 minutes ago, Shiva said:

For me that doesn't work so well. I like to sleep with the curtains open so that light gets in in the morning. So, I rise with the sun. When it's completely dark, I have difficulties waking up.

You probably want your room to be dark when you go to bed and be light when you wake up.

I set up my Raspberry Pi such that it turns on my room light at 6:00AM. It is a very powerful light alarm. My room's ceiling light is very bright. Light alarm is more powerful than sound alarm. At 6:00AM, my room becomes bright, and raspberry pi plays music through my passive speakers.

You might want to set up a light alarm as well. Change your room's light switch with a smart switch. If you can't change the switch, you can change the bulbs with smart bulbs.

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat is there anything important to know about the circadian rhythm? 

I know about rem sleep, deep sleep, light sleep phases etc. Also, that rem sleep is the phase were the body recovers the most and also dreams. The phase usually lasts 20 min. 

About the circadian rhythm I know that it adjust to the exposure of sunlight/artifical light? 

Are there any things to know about the circadian rhythm? 

I also read that melatonin is reduced when exposed to light and Serotonin is produced therefore, one should darken the room. 

Also, most likely why.. the light switch in the smart room, is so effective. 

I have difficulties in the morning to get started, since I am not doing cold showers anymore... 

Eating nuts before going to sleep is supposed to be also good to produce melatonin, I read that on the forum IIRC. 

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

@ValiantSalvatore

• Keep your room dark for several hours before you go to bed
  • Don't drink caffeinated drink for at least 9 hours before you go to bed
  • Light will adjust your circadian rhythm. Light alarm is no exception. If you want to keep your circadian rhythm constant, light alarm helps.
    • Light alarm adjusts your circadian rhythm very quickly.
  • Lower the color temperature of your monitor at night with software.
    • Seeing blue light at night interferes with melatonin
Edited by CreamCat

I somehow can't sleep more than 5-7 hours. I wish I could sleep for more.  it may have lowered my testosterone and libido but I don't know how to deal with it.

@wk197 we need a bit more. Tell us about your diet, stress, lifestyle,. relationship to your work, environment, activity levels...

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Lack of sleep is for the unawakened.

The awakened sleep very little or none.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

2 hours ago, Hellspeed said:

Lack of sleep is for the unawakened.

The awakened sleep very little or none

Sleep is for the weak !! Stop being bunch of crybaby bitches!!! :D 

I’m a different person if you sleep less than 7-8 hours. And not in a good way. 

In Tate we trust

@CreamCat Unwind from the stresses in your life, don't eat before going to bed, quiet environment, and as little distractions as possible.

Soaking in hot bath before bed helps too :)