Karla

How does Leo read all these books on the book list?

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, CreamCat said:

Do you choose to not read fast?

Yes

I don't care about the reading rate. I care about understanding the material and enjoying the process.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Yes, I can see what is meant. I feel that it is possible to speed read a couple of books and re-read them doing the speed reading techniques. This is what the book is about comprehension and speed. Also, underlining for re-reading saves time for a great book. I still can learn a lot from the speed reading techniques. 

I don't know to what extend you "amped" up the wpm to test speed reading. To say that you read normally. Also, not sure how fast normal is for you, some just read fast and say it is normal. Like around 800-1200 wpm. 

When something is important I slow down. I can see how nuanced that is and I take notes always. Besides when reading in bed. Or some more contemplative books.

For e.g speed reading the dao de jing won't provide much value

I re-read a couple of books on the list again to gain more comprehension and understanding. 

54 minutes ago, ValiantSalvatore said:

i cant delte the tags with my phone... 

Perhaps, you may want to take a bluetooth keyboard with you.

55 minutes ago, ValiantSalvatore said:

Around 1300+ wpm with techniques. 

Around 400+ without. 

Are speed reading techniques still unnatural to you?

Some things I find unnessecary, yet they could have deleted unconscious habits. 

The techniques not, different procedures yes, since I am not used setting up a book in that way and then going through it. Even if it makes sense. 

@ValiantSalvatore I feel like the subconscious is a huge obstacle to one’s reading ability.

when I was young and I was forced to read after school, I was always concerned with how much I was able to complete even though I didn’t want to be reading at all. 

I had a speed reading course in college and it did not help a bit. I couldn’t comprehend the complex text book material going at a fast pace and my sheer effort alone seemed to hinder the fluidity of the process.

what I’ve found is I cannot “try to not” say words aloud in my head, but if I relax my mind and concentration I’ll possibly flow 

@DrewNows That is what I feel like I still have to overcome I can speed read, yet if I am not familiar with the text book it will take me longer, and one advice from the book is to slow down a bit for more comprehension. 

I notice I do this automatically, also always to ask what do I want to understand out of this chapter etc. 

It's quite serious and when reading during leisure time, I am not regerading any of the advice. Speed reading text books it depends on the complexity of the topic. Some stuff is fine, yet I will take notes. Which costs most of the time. 

They also said subliminal "talking" is not entirly possible to overcome, yet I get what is meant with flow. A lot of subconscious talking is reduced and reading at high speeds with comprehension becomes fun or releaxed / flow. 

1 hour ago, ValiantSalvatore said:

They also said subliminal "talking" is not entirly possible to overcome, yet I get what is meant with flow. A lot of subconscious talking is reduced and reading at high speeds with comprehension becomes fun or releaxed / flow. 

not only is it reduced but when it's not focused on, it doesn't exist.

Thanks for sharing! I can't stand reading unless im able to become absorbed in the writing itself. I don't read unless it's leisure these days but i respect your proficiency in note taking, as i always half ass'd that shit. Still uncertain whether it's actually necessary. Cannot stand all the testing sort of learning we got to endure these days :(

@DrewNows Well you are welcome thanks btw also. 

I only take notes when I schedule a session where I sit down and read, reading in bed or in a train etc. I won't tale notes there. So, noway I am doing that very well yet