Kushu2000

How do you guys stay mindful throughout the day

15 posts in this topic

@Kushu2000 One of the most difficult spiritual practices is concious deep upper belly/lower lung breathing but nobody is disciplined enough to do it all day, so it's ignored. People think it's too simple to work but it simply works.

Edited by Anton_Pierre

Should I do deep breathing (conscious breathing) or just observe the sensations on the abdomen? I do something similar ATM, I have my breath at the nose in awareness throughout the day.

Edited by Kushu2000

@Kushu2000 You can inhale but you need to then depress the air into the lower lungs/upper stomach. It's a very noticeable shift. With practice, you can breath exclusively into your upper stomach.

Edited by Anton_Pierre

Interesting. I'll do sum research into this.

You can also feel your body, especially if you have recurrent pain somewhere.

Most effective way though is to be aware of your crazy, uninspiring, negative thoughts patterns.
If you didn't have thoughts patterns, there would be no problem to be aware all the time.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Kushu2000 I use a technique I call concentration stillness. It implies that you stare at an object for an extended period of time almost like a “daze”. Then allow your mind to be fully encapsulated by the feeling of observation. For me this disrupts the flow of thought, enstils lightness and brings a certain level of full body quietude and presence.

Edited by Jacobsrw

I simply do “body checks” every now and again to notice my emotional state and style of breathing, directing a little attention inward

As many reminders as possible to bring awareness back to Now. Over time, the unaware stretches will get shorter and shorter and the aware stretches longer and longer. One will catch themself falling asleep faster. Yet the ego want like it because it will lose control. 

I just try my best to stay mindful. Being present, recognizing my internal state, and allowing myself to be the witness, not getting lost in the content too much. Breathe and then breathe again. Feel the union and continue.

I try to do it multiple times a day, but it's not mechanical either... I just enjoy doing it. I usually do this when I notice that I am lost in monkey mind.

edit: you may find times in your day where there is a break to take a breather, like let's say when you use the bathroom at work or if you're in a social event. This is a perfect time, to breathe and get centered within yourself.

Edited by SgtPepper

Deep diaphragmatic breath, walking meditation-always noting when get lost in thoughts and as you can see and you are aware what is in front of you, try to be equally aware what is in the background. Feel your back and tune up your ears. Notice, nothing is happening, no imput from behind and suddenly some noise appears. Notice how it arises and passes. As soon as you became aware of it, it's gone. Where did it appear, how, be specific Try to get more data from it. Has a taste? What feeling, color, sensations how big or small. You can have so much fun by being conscious. It's a never ending Disney park ride. 

“The decisive question for man is: Is he related to something infinite or not? That is the telling question of his life. Only if we know that the thing which truly matters is the infinite can we avoid fixing our interests upon futilities, and upon all kinds of goals which are not of real importance. Thus we demand that the world grant us recognition for qualities which we regard as personal possessions: our talent or our beauty. The more a man lays stress on false possessions, and the less sensitivity he has for what is essential, the less satisfying is his life. He feels limited because he has limited aims, and the result is envy and jealousy. If we understand and feel that here in this life we already have a link with the infinite, desires and attitudes change.” - Carl Jung

“The decisive question for man is: Is he related to something infinite or not? That is the telling question of his life. Only if we know that the thing which truly matters is the infinite can we avoid fixing our interests upon futilities, and upon all kinds of goals which are not of real importance. Thus we demand that the world grant us recognition for qualities which we regard as personal possessions: our talent or our beauty. The more a man lays stress on false possessions, and the less sensitivity he has for what is essential, the less satisfying is his life. He feels limited because he has limited aims, and the result is envy and jealousy. If we understand and feel that here in this life we already have a link with the infinite, desires and attitudes change.” - Carl Jung

I'm trying to make a habit out of staying mindful throughout the day. It's quite hard though and I'm often lost in monkeymind.

I use small reminders (random objects on my desk), watch my breath and for example going to the toilet is a great reminder (funny but still).

Edited by nistake

14 hours ago, Anton_Pierre said:

@Kushu2000 One of the most difficult spiritual practices is concious deep upper belly/lower lung breathing but nobody is disciplined enough to do it all day, so it's ignored. People think it's too simple to work but it simply works.

That´s amazing that you say that. I´ve been doing that since yesterday´s morning. I had a brutal insight doing Yoga after a couple of miserable weeks of monkey mind and increased anxiety. During the exercise it was pranayamas and the last exercise was to just "be conscious of the breath". I realized my chest was fucking constrained by my ego-talk and anxiety i´ve been pain attention all of this time. I realized if I put my back straight, open my chest and breath slow and profound, I regain power.

I´ve been doing this since yesterday and I think I can seriously change my life a lot if I keep doing it. However when I engage with work or whatever I have to let go a little bit of this concentration. But so far in the "doing nothing in particular" moments I am doing it.

Edited by Javfly33