Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tashawoodfall

The transition to my own business

3 posts in this topic

Just a little rant that perhaps Simeone may relate to.

I decided to put the gun to my head and just start my own business.  It’s a media company and I’m starting with offering graphics.  I need to completely build my portfolio.

I do also have a demanding 9-5 marketing job.  But during the time I have off of work, I’ve been working on building my portfolio.  I put up a quick ad offering logos at a ridiculous low price and got 28 leads and 7 people truly interested.  I’m almost complete with creating all the logos and I’ve felt a lack of respect from everyone.  Perhaps it’s because I don’t have a portfolio or website up yet, perhaps because I discounted the price so low, perhaps because I didn’t ask for a deposit.  

I finished a logo logo and the customer was absolutely happy and excited about it.  After he paid and I sent him the files, I asked for a review and we’ll i never got one- again lack of respect.

I guess my rant here is I’m working my ass off creating damn high quality graphics for a insanely low price which takes up all my time outside of work and making it clear I’m doing it to build my portfolio yet these customers lack respect, leave me on read, wait forever after the project is completed to pay, don’t leave me a review when I ask and damn well deserve a good one.  

Im frustrated, trying to steer my mind in a positive direction and not letting it all consume me and try to keep moving forward even though it’s hard to see anything good.

Lmao man you gonna eat soooo much more dirt get used to it

how bad do you want it? 

this post should make you ashamed in a year

because of your pussymode atm

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

Respect that you manage having a 9-5 and working on your side hustle. Good work.

I guess you have your first lesson and that is to get more professional as soon as possible. Offer normal prices, take downpayment upfront, surpass your clients' expectations and don't demand too much from them. Clients are clients, some are awesome to work with, others, not so much. xD Especially in the design field, sometimes people have weird requests and have no idea how much it costs to complete a project.

Here's some reading you might be interested in:

Step-By-Step Upwork Tutorial For Brokeass Bootstrap Beginners Who Need Cash Now! - For finding an additional source of clients.

How To Start A Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K In Less Than 90 Days - A model you could use in structuring your own hustle.

How To Learn Code, Start A Web Company, $15k+ Per Month Within 9 Months - Motivation and some valuable insights about finding the right kind of client, approach to learning new skills and 'portfolio piece - free or paid?' issue.

Cheers