chudders

Are repetitive thoughts dangerous?

19 posts in this topic

Can repetitive thoughts occurring be dangerous or is it only if you begin to fear the content of it?

Typically rumination is a symptom of mental distress. 

Even if it is positive/neutral, it would be disruptive to everyday living, so I would say yes, it is dangerous.

@Knock  I've been working on feeling neutral towards them but it still occurs. Is it possible if I become fully neutral that they will eventually leave? I'm just not sure how to stop thinking about it altogether especially if its dangerous then I tend to feel fearful if I couldn't let it go.

Repititive thoughts occuring will rewire your brain.

27 minutes ago, chudders said:

@Knock  I've been working on feeling neutral towards them but it still occurs. Is it possible if I become fully neutral that they will eventually leave? I'm just not sure how to stop thinking about it altogether especially if its dangerous then I tend to feel fearful if I couldn't let it go.

This is a tricky topic to answer, as the solution isn't straightforward.

An important thing to realise with thoughts is they are not true, they are merely just stories. The trick isn't to change your thoughts, but to take them less seriously. This technique is called diffusion, and is an important part of most modern therapy's. I could explain this further if you like, but my best bet would be to see a therapist if this problem is reoccurring.

@Knock  ohh okay, i might look into seeing a therapist again too its been quite a while and doing self actualization is a lot to take in by myself. i would appreciate if you want to go into more detail :) 

29 minutes ago, chudders said:

@Knock  ohh okay, i might look into seeing a therapist again too its been quite a while and doing self actualization is a lot to take in by myself. i would appreciate if you want to go into more detail :) 

I am no therapist, but I will try my best :)

Cognitive diffusion is the separation of our thoughts from reality. Quite often we accept our thoughts as truth, as important, as orders or as threats. But that is not the reality. That is just a story.

You can recognise this is a story by observing your thoughts. For example, lets say you have the thought “I am such an idiot”. Notice how that affects you. You probably feel pretty bad, right? But what if you try it again, but instead say “I am having the thought that I am an idiot”. Notice how the thought affects you less.

You can even start naming your stories as another form of separation. Like “ahh that’s right, it’s the idiot story again”. Notice that its just a thought, just another story, and its power will diminish. You can even try singing your thoughts to a silly tune, like twinkle twinkle little star, and notice how it loses its effect on you.

These above techniques come from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, just one of the many forms of therapy. I would recommend to work with a therapist to see which therapy’s work for you. :) 

@chudders Only if you believe the thoughts are you.

The fact is thoughts are NOT you.  You actually have no control whatsoever over thoughts.

OCD is this very issue, and in order for an OCD sufferer to overcome it is to go Meta on the thoughts and become self aware that they are just thoughts.  They have nothing to do with the person themselves at all.

When you get lost in your own thoughts  and attach yourself to them you can get lost in depression, guilt, fear, etc.

Great question.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

If you believe your thoughts,
And your thoughts are:

"I'm stupid"
"I'm ugly"
"I don't deserve X"
"I deserve X (negatively)"
"I'm not good enough for X"
"I can't do X"
"The only solution is to kill myself"

Huge potential of misery,
What you think you create/attract, so be very careful not to believe those thoughts.

One day they will subside, but that can take a while, the important point is to observe them neutrally like you said.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Thought asks is thought dangerous. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

8 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

@Rilles i like the Avatar...will Mario ever get out? :P

Only when he realizes he is a pixel and that Mario is a fiction. ;) Then he will realize he is already out and that out and in are the same.

Edited by Rilles

12 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Only when he realizes he is a pixel and that Mario is a fiction. ;) Then he will realize he is already out and that out and in are the same.

Are you talking from experience or are you parroting Leo ? B|

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

1 minute ago, Shin said:

Are you talking from experience or are you parroting Leo ? B|

Im parroting Luigi! Leo Luigi! Itsa not me Mario!

14 hours ago, chudders said:

Can repetitive thoughts occurring be dangerous or is it only if you begin to fear the content of it?

I would say repetitive thoughts in and of themselves are not dangerous.  Them being there means nothing in particular.  Now if your afraid liked you asked or getting emotionally out of wack because of their presence or tensing your stomach or body over time because of a belief/thought pattern continuously over time it can have ill effects on the body/emotions/well being.

But again, if your relaxed and fairly happy with tons of thoughts always happening and lots of thinking in a job, I dont see any issue.  You may have a little more head stress and tension, but not really a big deal.

Edited by Mu_

I have never experienced repetitive thoughts that were positive in nature, so I would generally say yes, repetitive thoughts are unhealthy. It stalls growth.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

@chudders Thought impulses are no more dangerous than bird chirps. It is the attachment and identification to thoughts can have a negative impact on the body. 

@Knock thank you! So even the thoughts based on fear that feel like a very real threat are still just thoughts in my head as there is no evidence to suggest it in ‘reality’. I’ll practice more detachment