Jonson

High school graduate: Emptiness, Nostalgia, Regret

9 posts in this topic

I'm finishing high school and I'm very sad . I feel nostalgic and empty.

I feel like everything changes, everything we assign value to is impermanent. I got attached to my classmates. There's a beautiful girl in my class ... i kept having a crush on her. she got a boyfriend though 2 years ago. She is always smiling at me , she likes to kinda play with me : she comes and play with my hair .. and i act like she i don't care ... and she will laugh at that.. we had a very good chemistry. I regret not getting together with her cause i was shy :))

I feel like if i will go to college all these relationships will be gone. And i want to freeze time so that i will be young forever.

Emptiness, Nostalgia, Sadness, Regret. 

I don't want to feel regret anymore, i want to do everything that i feel i want to do. Stuff like telling a girl i like her. 

I don't want to feel this regret again. 

Posted (edited)

You're still in control of This moment. The things you've said are in the past and don't exist anymore. Only now exists

4 hours ago, Jonson said:

I feel like if i will go to college all these relationships will be gone. And i want to freeze time so that i will be young forever.

Work on this. Try your hardest so your relationships won't be gone. It can be tough but if you work on time management skills and how to build stronger relationships, you won't have to worry. No regret, sadness or emptiness will come, because it seems that these feelings all linked onto the relationship itself. Work on the relationship, you've got this :)

Control the now, forget the future and past

Edited by B_Naz

You're not human, you're the universe

I am also in high school in grade 10. My advice to you is to not regret what you did bad and appreciate what good things you did. Believe me or not if you will do whatever you feel like you want to do in high school then you will still have regret after graduating high school. This is because  the human psychology will always look back at things that they wish they had done. So, don't feel bad for what ever you have done throughout your highschool years and say to yourself that these are the four best years of your life.

Emptiness is LIT

Some of the best moments of my life :D

Be careful because your brain was producing "feel good" drugs and now your entering in the withdrwal phase. You have idealized the highschool lifestyle and this girl.

I've been also there and I have hard nostalgia remembering the old days, but its unrealistic now that i'm 35 and cannot be a neet all day dating cute girls and having 3 month holidays having fun with the only responsability of studying being fed by my parents.

Felt the same. girls alcohol drugs best friends this was my high school life, Its time to find Life purpose and even better days will come. Iam 21 and and I found it and I dont really miss high school that much.

College is fun as well

I've been out of high school for 4 years now, and I get what you mean.  I went to a large university and had a really hard time meeting people.  The old sense of community was gone.  (Although a lot of people I know say they had even better friendships in college, so maybe it's just that I have poor social skills.)

I also had a crush in high school that I never acted on, and just in general I wish I had gotten to know people better when I had the chance.  I've since lost contact with almost everyone, mostly because I haven't put in the effort to maintain those contacts.

Although the thing is, back in high school I felt like I had to be very inauthentic to get by in a social environment everyday.  Whereas now, I'm very isolated, but I feel like I can do and be what I want and not worry about it.

Maybe the harsh truth is that it's actually better not to know people.  That way you can project your fantasies onto them rather than having to see their true dark side.  I feel like knowing someone just ruins them in a way.

Or at least that's how it was with me and my ex-girlfriend senior year of high school.  It was a really bad break up, and I never really got closure.  I wound up quitting all my extracurriculars, and my grades slipped a bit.

To this day I have recurring dreams about being back in high school.  It's like in a weird way I didn't finish and a part of me is trapped there or something.

Regrets and missed opportunities are part of growth, especially after high school and into college. If I had never wasted all the time I did playing video games in high school, I wouldn't value my time today and all the fantastic achievements I can pursue with it. I wouldn't be able to appreciate just how precious it is. It's funny that youth, those with the most time, seem to value it the least! 

Plus, to be honest I think what you're experiencing is the usual myopia of youth, thinking that what has happened in your erstwhile short time on this universe means everything, when really the important things in your life are far ahead. All this regret and longing will seem silly to you one day, and eventually you'll hardly ever think about it. But you will still have everything you learned from these friends and all the ways the joy you felt with them shaped you in a positive way. And that girl you liked? You'll be thankful that you didn't end up with her every time you think about her (or see a picture of what she looks like now, for that matter). Welcome to the world, young buck.