Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pouya

What is the distinction between Thoughts and Emotions?

30 posts in this topic

Both:

• Are created from mind
  • Are deceptive
  • Survival based
  • Contain a mind story
  • Can cause each other to occur
  • Can be used to attack and defend for ourselves
  • Are "mine"
  • Are used for human communication

Are they the same?

It's like both has to exist together in one package. Non dual?

Edited by Pouya

Thoughts are symbolic representations of some other form of reality. Emotions are not symbolically representing anything.

Emotions are weird though... I still don't understand them very well other than that they propel survival. 

@Consilience what if i had symbolic emotions xD

But I never thought of it this way..

Thoughts represent things but do emotions do that too?

Edited by Pouya

@Pouya As far as I can tell, no.... emotions seem to just be themselves. Ultimately both are still consciousness, just different forms. This is a super interesting topic though. 

Like I said, Im still in the process of contemplation ?

@Consilience here's the question:

When are our minds not symbolic? (Except nondual experiences)

I'll say emotions happen within symbols and meanings. Without any symbols i dont feel much emotion except inner peace.

Hmmm... maybe the mental projection of separation isnt symbolic. Separation doesnt actually exist, but our minds carve through the whole of direct experience, creating an illusion as though it does.

I think there's a difference between emotions, and then something such as our inner dialogue and visualizing mind. Emotions can be observed as themselves without the mind reacting. I think that’s why I dont define them as symbolic. 

They are a feedback loop.... 

And where do emotions happen? In the mind or in the body? There is a physical sensation with all emotions, but physical sensations are thoughts after all.

Is there a thought of emotion?..... Or does emotion arise independently, which thought labels? 

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

@seeking_brilliance As@Consilience  stated they both arise in consciousness.  There really isn't a body or a brain.  Its just consciousness.  You are a section of universal consciousness which is also capable of thinking and feeling.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@seeking_brilliance I can't find the boundary between mind and body so emotions can happen in both i guess.

I say emotion always comes with a thought and thought always comes with an emotion. They both cause each other.

@Pouya thoughts come regardless.  Try not having a thought for more than 30 seconds.  

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

17 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

@seeking_brilliance As@Consilience  stated they both arise in consciousness.  There really isn't a body or a brain.  Its just consciousness.  You are a section of universal consciousness which is also capable of thinking and feeling.

Yes I planned on mentioning that, but didn't want to sound like rambling. Was mainly focusing on the illusion of a body and feeling emotions in various parts of it opposed to how we feel thoughts happening in the brain.  That they feel separate but there is no boundary.   I can see how my post was confusing, the questions I asked were mostly rhetorical, but that can be too misleading and now I have to waste a post explaining the intent lol.  Oh well I write silly sometimes, it happens

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

@seeking_brilliance ahh i got ya..yeah it is amazing how strong the illusion is.   How it feels so real.  It wouldn't be a good illusion if it wasn't LOL.

We feel separate from universal consciousness yet we are One.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

16 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

@Pouya thoughts come regardless.  Try not having a thought for more than 30 seconds.  

Does somebody who has no concept of language think? Does thought require language? 

@Shadowraix pictures and sounds in the mind? Language is a symbolic system if there was no language the mind might create simple symbols for stuff to remember.

@Nahm so where do we go with it beyond body/mind?

@Pouya The entire “bubble of awareness” if you will. Think of yourself as the whole scene, not the actor and or writer. The appearance, the interpretation, perception, internalization, emotional response, emotionally driven thoughts, reactive or creative response. Then shine on the really nuanced, but more powerful stuff. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm when I see everything that way, there is no mind or body, just the scene that's happening. In this scene thoughts and emotions are not mine. The body is not mine either. Just happening. But i can't maintain this level of awareness as I easily collapse to the "im just a human named Pouya"

35 minutes ago, Pouya said:

But i can't maintain this level of awareness

Don’t maintain then. Let go. Surrender. That ‘level of awareness’ is the ground floor, not the top floor. It’s the emptiness. 

as I easily collapse to the "im just a human named Pouya"

That thought is added from reaction of a misinterpretation perpetuated by avoidance of a sensation. Let it out! :) “I” never collapses. The thought (duality) collapses. “I’m (1st self) just a human (2nd self) named Pouya”. Self inquire that. But first, meditation, quieted mind, release sensations. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Pouya They are interconnected, the distinction is practical/arbitrary.

I do not find it true that emotions are non-symbolic. They are their own language and go unnoticed most of the time.

I tend to distinguish emotions by the fact that they emote me to action when I surrender. They are expressed through subtle (or not) body movements. Think dancing for example.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2