bmcnicho

Issac Newton's Philosophy Vs Modern Science

9 posts in this topic

Issac Newton was a very different man than how mainstream culture portrays him.  Most people know him as a mathematician and physicist, but the truth is he actually spent over 90% of his time on alchemy and hermeticism. While these practices seem primative by today's standards, they were the precursor to modern science.

More significantly though, the real value of hermetic practices was psychological rather than physical.  Aspects of Christian mysticism were also involved.  In fact, mathematics to Newton was more of a means to the end of knowing the nature of God.

So despite basically being the father of modern science, Newton was no mere rationalist.  He had a genuine desire for a more holistic truth.  This contrasts starkly with modern science, which has largely abandoned truth and become simply a means to produce technology.  It clings to its rationalist, materialist, reductionistic paradigm, and can't even consider knowledge that lies outside of that.

It brings me no joy to say this, as it was my dream to become a scientist since I was a kid, but I must now abandon that dream in order to seek truth in another way.

Maybe someday science can return to its origins and become a more holistic natural philosophy, because sadly I don't think Newton would approve of his legacy.

Newton was a wise guy.

You don't have to abandon science. What we are doing here is science of the highest order: the science of self, mind, life, and God.

Just breathe the spirit back into orthodox science. If people like you don't, who will?

If Newton were alive today he would be doing just that.

Be the change you wish to see.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Agreed.  We need folks like you!  It's going to be the visionary scientists like you that will evolve our species to the highest levels.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@bmcnicho why must you abandon science? I strongly believe if you abandon science, you will not be happy. Combine your passion for truth with science. As Einstein once said "science without religion is blind, and religion without science is lame

Come up with a few theories, that holistically combine multidisciplinary areas of science into a beautiful cohesive portrayal of some aspect of God, then publish it on a blog.

Trust me, you will get (as I did) a lot of attention from the right people. 

Do it part time if you need to earn money. Einstein was a post office clerk while making his theory of relativity. Ken Wilber was cleaning the butt left overs of people inside a restaurant while making integral theory. 

@Norbert Lennartz stop being a pussy man. Get off your ass (in your part time) and start doing Real Science! 

Edited by electroBeam

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!  I guess what I meant was I think I need to abandon science in the institutional sense, i.e. getting a PhD and doing large scale orthodox research.

I've been considering learning a trade while I continue to develop myself, and then doing independent work on the side that's scientific in the more holistic sense

But I'm debating this from a strategic perspective.  It can be very difficult to change systems from within due to strong collective ego and paradigm lock.  So that's why I think it would be better for me to remain independent. 

Although I could be wrong, and be throwing away an opportunity to make a big impact.  I also have to consider the bias of my personal ego resisting complying with large institutions.

26 minutes ago, bmcnicho said:

I think I need to abandon science in the institutional sense

Good choice.

The constituted science is mainly culture and little real knowledge.
This can even be observed as well as in the whole climate hype.
All the jurists believe that they are doing science and acting accordingly. But law is only a pure text science like literary science or art history. They imprison people because that's what their culture wants.

2 hours ago, bmcnicho said:

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!  I guess what I meant was I think I need to abandon science in the institutional sense, i.e. getting a PhD and doing large scale orthodox research.

That might be wise. Being limited to a university campus is not all that great.

Remember, many of the greatest scientists were not professors in academia. Many were independent.

I've been considering learning a trade while I continue to develop myself, and then doing independent work on the side that's scientific in the more holistic sense

Although I could be wrong, and be throwing away an opportunity to make a big impact.  I also have to consider the bias of my personal ego resisting complying with large institutions.

You can make an even bigger impact without all the institutional red tape and orthodoxy.

No one is stopping you from changing the world but yourself.

Also broaden your notion of what "science" is. Science is much bigger than what goes on in universities. The highest forms of science do not exist in universities at all! Universities are corporate machines.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Yes very true!  Thanks for the wise advice, I think that something like that is my true calling!  Your latest episode on survival was fantastic by the way!  It helped me realize how much of an identity I had formed around getting a PhD back when I was stuck at stage orange