Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pateedm

How often should psychedelics be taken?

18 posts in this topic

I have used LSD twice- a 105ug dose and a 150ug dose, both times I thought I could've gone deeper with the trip.

After recently purchasing some mushrooms and having a 1.5g trip, I feel like I want to explore psychedelics regularly.

How often do you guys trip and what psychedelics do you prefer? I currently plan on having a few more mushroom trips and also to begin exploring N,N DMT.

Edited by Pateedm

It seems like once every 2 weeks is a good amount or possibly more time in between. Integrating the experiences is the challenging part though and if taken too often, I could see the experiences not having the time needed to fully integrate. 

Contemplating and journaling about the experiences is a helpful tool for integration. Even meditation will help. So if the goal is to use these substances as tools, definitely watch the frequency of use and make sure you’re committed to integration work imo. 

@Pateedm I only have experience with Ayahuasca (N,N-DMT) and I take it two (sometimes three) times every month.

I'd recommend taking as much time as you find necessary to integrate what you have learned from your experience. Don't forget that it's about improving the quality of your life and, if possible, the life of people around you. Be careful not to get your mental space flooded by concepts in a way that would flurry your ability to focus on what you want to change on yourself.

Abstract and conceptual trips have their value, but pragmatic trips - the ones in which you can access out-of-the-box solutions for your life - may be the ones that demand more attention and time for integration.

Good luck!

unborn Truth

You really have to listen to your gut and heart with this, it will depend on so many factors including intent, progress, dosage, substance (eg you could take 5-MeO-DMT or DMT more often than LSD). A 2-4 week break between trips is a decent rule of thumb.

For me, there have been 12 month periods where I've taken no psychedelics, and on the other extreme, several times I've had back to back 3 days in a row without any negative consequences. Generally I go around a month or two between trips these days.

Many microdosers take tiny doses once every 3 days. Many people have had just one or two trips in their whole life.

So at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself and go with what it right for you.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@Pateedm Ime, using psychedelics in a mature and efficient manner is a learning process. They can be an extremely powerful tool when used wisely and counter-productive when used unwisely. Psychedelics resonate with each person differently. It’s great to learn from the experience of others, yet also listen and trust your inner guide.

Based on my experience, here are a few things I think are worth considering for someone that wants to introduce psychedelics into a spiritual program:

1. For newcomers, I would not recommend a full, solid trip more than once every two weeks (e.g. 100ug+ of LSD). More frequent use like every 7-10 days will cause tolerance issues and the “magic” fades. For someone inexperienced,realizations may pile up and confusion and excessive instability in one’s life.  For most people, it’s just not tenable long-term. Perhaps one  strong trip per month if the mind and body are stable and there is a “calling”. . . One can do dmt and it’s derivatives like Aya and 5-meo much more frequently. Yet I would be extremely cautious about frequent use of dmt related compounds for the inexperienced. Aya retreats can be deeply profound within a mature, grounded spiritual community, yet I think using dmt related compounds multiple times per week solo for a newbie carries huge risks.

2. Integrate. When I first started out, I had very strong seeking energy toward psychedelic realms and integration seemed like tedious side-work. Yet I’ve found integration work to be really important for the mind and body to expand and grow. I would dedicate time between trips to integrate with whatever method works for you. 

3. Have a well-rounded spiritual life. I’ve found it important to do other spiritual practices - meditation, yoga, contemplation, running and time in nature - sober. 

4. Try different dosages and psychedelics - find what works for you. At one poInt, I found alternating between mini and strong doses to be beneficial. Strong trips are harder to integrate than light trips. For example, I did a strongish trip about once per month (100-150ug  for me). and a mini trip of about 50ug once or twice a month. 50ug mini trips in nature were sooo helpful. They are not very taxing on the mind-body and can help integrate stronger trips into “regular” life. As well, microdosing can be beneficial to integrate into regular life. Since microdosing is subthreshold, one can do it anywhere.  

5. If you want to explore 5-meo and can get the freebase form, I would recommend an initial exploration through vaping (not smoking). With vaping a person has control on modulating the intensity of the experience in real time. It can be very gentle. One can sit on their regular meditation cushion and reach states in which the ego / personality partially dissolves. If anxiety and panic arises, one can simply put the vape down and relax into the groundless. Over time, one can go deeper and deeper while being kind to the mind and body.

I see so many people watching dramatic videos of people on 5-meo flopping around like fish and reading reports about traumatizing ego death experiences- it doesn’t need to be like that. . . In the future I think gentle 5-meo vaping will be used in chill environments integrated with something like Vipassana and nonduality retreats. For example, a morning sober meditation session followed by a nonduality discussion, followed by a gentle 5-meo meditation session, followed by another nonduality discussion. 

Every morning :D

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

3 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

In the future I think gentle 5-meo vaping will be used in chill environments integrated with something like Vipassana and nonduality retreats. For example, a morning sober meditation session followed by a nonduality discussion, followed by a gentle 5-meo meditation session, followed by another nonduality discussion. 

I love that vision

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

2 drop in the morning, 1 in the eyes before bed.

everyday for a year

If we are talking tolerance then 2 weeks for a full reset. Rest is very much up to you as an individual. And is likely never a consistent thing. Some parts of my life I did it a lot. Now it's only rarely.

how do you integrate psychedelic trips? Journal and contemplate and question what happened and what it all meant?

@andyjohnsonman Yes, so far reviewing intentions could be good and seeing if they unfold when you journal about them or go through life. Yes, journaling and contemplating the "nature" of the experience or it's potential meaning and insights which have been unraveled. 

If you are into shadow work, I'd recommend doing a shadow work exercise. I only practice one technique, so I can't give an expert opinion

Also, daily meditation practice or exchanging the experience with a friend common sense or prudence is key, yet definitely daily meditation. 

Or share them even here on the forum to get feedback and give other people the opportunity to integrate theirs, potentially. Anyway, this was my idea and approach. 

Edited by ValiantSalvatore

11 hours ago, andyjohnsonman said:

how do you integrate psychedelic trips? Journal and contemplate and question what happened and what it all meant?

Ultimately, there is an absence of meaning, yet when the mind returns from a nondual psychedelic state there is often a desire to contextualize and create meaning. The mind may think “whoa. . . what just happened?” and then it tries to condense and contextualize into an experience and concepts. It’s just what human minds do. If a turkey or frog tripped, they wouldn’t do this. I try to remain aware if the mind is over-contextualizing and forming attachments and identification with imagery, concepts and experience memories it is creating.

Some people like to write things out. I prefer to just chill and stare. Perhaps go for a walk in nature and just Be. Stuff appears and reveals itself all on it’s own.

Over the next week or so, I spend some quiet relaxed time - perhaps yoga or time in nature. If the old mind-body conditioning is returning, I will observe it with a new perspective. I will observe the mechanics of the egoic/personal thoughts and feeling dynamics. I may try and let go and allow the essence of the previous nondual experience arise and embody itself into my mind and body.

On 23.05.2019 at 5:21 PM, ajasatya said:

I only have experience with Ayahuasca (N,N-DMT) and I take it two (sometimes three) times every month.

Ayahuasca 3 times a month ? That seems aloot. How's that working out for you ?

34 minutes ago, wavydude said:

Ayahuasca 3 times a month ? That seems aloot. How's that working out for you ?

It's great. It was hard in the beginning but now I'm kinda used to it. The most important part is being attentive to the teachings. Listening to practical advice on Life while under the effect of N,N-DMT can be highly transforming.

Another important thing is being part of a community of people who are actually willing to embody Truth and practice virtues in all aspects of their lives. Sometimes I think that this is exactly what most people on this forum are missing.

unborn Truth

On 5/22/2019 at 9:51 PM, Pateedm said:

I have used LSD twice- a 105ug dose and a 150ug dose, both times I thought I could've gone deeper with the trip.

After recently purchasing some mushrooms and having a 1.5g trip, I feel like I want to explore psychedelics regularly.

How often do you guys trip and what psychedelics do you prefer? I currently plan on having a few more mushroom trips and also to begin exploring N,N DMT.

I've done once every two weeks which felt great at the time, but I haven't done them in over a month and feel fine with that.  It's one of those things that I let my intuition decide

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows