Joseph Maynor

Who Projects Onto Everyone Else But Is Sensitive To Being Projected On Themselves

169 posts in this topic

I hope you're with someone. Stay safe, esp in New Delhi. Geez, my hosts won't even let me out of their house. They drove me everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

I hope you're with someone. Stay safe, esp in New Delhi. Geez, my hosts won't even let me out of their house. They drove me everywhere.

xD a friend of mine had the same problem.

just be careful with the areas a little, ask your hosts or hotel if you’re not sure. but markets should be fine even though they seem scary because there is so much going on, and temples should be fine, too. it’s like water you’ll adapt to the temperature after a while.

Edited by now is forever

4 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

Thanks!  Yep.  People probably thought I was just being an asshole in how I've described it here.  Nope.

18 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Thanks!  Yep.  People probably thought I was just being an asshole in how I've described it here.  Nope.

that’s projection.

india is certainly a challenge for a person from another culture. it’s colorful and busy and full of tastes, smells and impressions, and they all happen simultaneously xD

Edited by now is forever

@Joseph Maynor India is high on my travel list, yet it would be a major endeavor for me. You do a lot of introspective work and I’m curious if immersion in Indian culture and geography has lead to any insights that feel meaningful. 

1 hour ago, ajasatya said:

i'd guess this represents at least 90% of what has been holding you back since the day you joined this forum (yes, i remember).

your quest for brightness, intellectualism and smartness is triggering corrupted emotions and you become reactive. you fear intellectual mockery and you seek intellectual approval. this is me projecting onto you because letting that pride die was a messy part my own journey. i know how it feels and how it sounds (as you're sounding to us). so for you, my words are just food for thought and inner contemplation.

i've been thinking about a challenge for you that may help you heal your longing, if i'm accurate. the challenge is... delete all of your journals and do not journal for at least 6 months. burn all that to the ground and let it turn into dust, as if our solar system exploded.

journaling is very good for beginners because undisciplined minds struggle too much to keep track of their own path. but it can come to a point where your journals work as mere armors for the ego to inflate more and more everyday, as if everyday you collected a little more junk into your house. don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that your insights are trash. what i am saying is that real wisdom go straight to the bones, so that you don't need to keep track of it with the mind.

there have been many stories equivalent to what is happening to you. several zen practitioners wrote diaries for decades and then comes a day where their masters tell them to burn it all. i'm not saying that i am your master and that you should do it because i told you so. i'm just pointing to the fact that there is something very valuable in letting go of the intellectual inertia.

just the words of a friend.

yes this "work", and all works inflate the ego more & more, everything that you "collect" become addictive anyway.

in fact, who say what is valuable and of no value, it's your mind who makes sense of litteraly everything

1 minute ago, Aeris said:

yes this "work", and all works inflate the ego more & more, everything that you "collect" become addictive anyway.

in fact, who say what is valuable and of no value, it's your mind who makes sense of litteraly everything

you're right. in the end, what matters is our capacity to live a high quality & fulfilling life.

unborn Truth

12 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

you're right. in the end, what matters is our capacity to live a high quality & fulfilling life.

How do you know Joseph is not already living such a life? xD

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

2 minutes ago, Preetom said:

that'd be impossible. i can only assume from my own past experiences and projections that he's not because my life wasn't very fulfilling when i was attached to intellectualism. as i said... my words are just food for thought for him. he can simply ignore what i say.

unborn Truth

5 minutes ago, Preetom said:

He doesn't like me because I pointed out his arrogance once and he never forgave me.

30 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

@Joseph Maynor India is high on my travel list, yet it would be a major endeavor for me. You do a lot of introspective work and I’m curious if immersion in Indian culture and geography has lead to any insights that feel meaningful. 

I will post as many insights as I can in my Journal.  Thanks man.  It's definitely a life-changing experience.  I've only been here for 3 days and I'm gonna do 14 days in India.

I like how one little question from Joe and one little response from Leo were enough to set off something, I clearly seem to be missing context on the conversation since I'm confused why Leo and Joe said what they did in the very first few posts.  

Back to the threads actual question, this is obviously question more so in the domain of the relative. What I wonder, is what's the difference between "projecting" vs reading a situation/person and making links. Honestly, it's like they're both ONE *cough cough* activity. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Just now, Joseph Maynor said:

He doesn't like me because I pointed out his arrogance once and he never forgave me.

what? no... xD

i do like you (i like everybody in this forum).

unborn Truth

37 minutes ago, now is forever said:

that’s projection.

india is certainly a challenge for a person from another culture. it’s colorful and busy and full of tastes, smells and impressions, and they all happen simultaneously xD

I agree with the second thing you said.  I suppose we can say any factual account involves a certain degree of "projection".  Any opinion is "projection", so we don't wanna define that net too large or else we develop an unsustainable standard that none of us will ever be able to live by.  The word "projection" is often used like a sword to easily dismiss someone by Enlightenment people.  I could say your comment to me is "projection" by that wide standard.  Ditto for the word "Ego".  Don't get me started on that one. 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

4 minutes ago, lmfao said:

I like how one little question from Joe and one little response from Leo were enough to set off something, I clearly seem to be missing context on the conversation since I'm confused why Leo and Joe said what they did in the very first few posts. 

Back to the threads actual question, this is obviously question more so in the domain of the relative. What I wonder, is what's the difference between "projecting" vs reading a situation/person and making links. 

Bingo.  That's why I'm printing out this thread and gonna study it like Muslims study the Koran.  There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in this thread.

5 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I agree with the second thing you said.  I suppose we can say any factual account involves a certain degree of "projection".  Any opinion is "projection", so we don't wanna define that net too large or else we develop an unsustainable standard that none of us will ever be able to live by.  This word "projection" is often used like a sword to dismiss someone by Enlightenment people.  I could say your comment to me is "projection" by that wide standard.

yes of course. the moment we open the mouth to give a tone we project something onto the world, a sound that is :)

if i talk about colours and tastes and smells and impression - you now get a sense what i mean with that. it might sound more flowery than reality is. even though this is part of reality. the part i’d focus on.

Edited by now is forever

Here's a funny joke. This is a community of intelligent people who really care about being the best version of themselves that they can be.

Now, we've gone so far with it that we're all trying to grasp that there was no self to begin with.

We can only move forward by becoming the best us we can be.

It's hard to forget all those patterns of wanting to be the smart person in the room, of wanting to avoid people who might drag you down, of not wasting your time with people who annoy you, of being shy about giving and receiving love and not wanting to waste time in making connections with people that could have been spent working on yourself or growing wealth. 

We're like bees in a hive. We have our own jobs to do but we have no purpose without each other. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

1 minute ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Bingo.  That's why I'm printing out this thread and gonna study it like Muslims study the Koran.  There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in this thread.

What insight do you hope to obtain by studying a dysfunctional thread on an internet forum? We all know the conclusion you're going to draw. It's not you. It's them. 

The people who are suggesting you take time off the forum are right. It's the most common sense nugget of wisdom. You're going to double down and study the forum? Tremendous waste of time. You're traveling overseas and you're still on this forum. It's just an addiction mate. 

The cruel irony is, we all feel right and infallible from our own positions...until it cracks down and we loose ground

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

35 minutes ago, hundreth said:

What insight do you hope to obtain by studying a dysfunctional thread on an internet forum? We all know the conclusion you're going to draw. It's not you. It's them. 

The people who are suggesting you take time off the forum are right. It's the most common sense nugget of wisdom. You're going to double down and study the forum? Tremendous waste of time. You're traveling overseas and you're still on this forum. It's just an addiction mate. 

Nope.  Now that's a bonafide projection.  I'm working on a career as a personal development content provider and I'm on fire with insights right now and using every ounce of my time to develop myself and to write.  I'm also exploring India.  I can do two things at once.  Wouldn't you agree?  I'm addicted to my career and life purpose, yes, but that's a good addiction.  That's why I'm such a damn good personal development teacher and as popular on here as I am.  I work harder than anybody else on here except for probably Leo -- and I maybe even work harder than Leo does (my intuition thinks so).  This is my career that I'm creating and developing,  I'm not just hanging out on here for fun, although it is fun too.  I'm working to launch a career as a personal development content provider and it's my greatest passion and #1 value.  So, with all due respect, I appreciate your comments, but watch your projections onto me.  You guys like to throw this word "projection" around flippantly, but this is a good example of a legit one.  This place is my training ground and my testing ground.  It's amazing what I've done while being on here.  I don't see anybody on here who's done what I've done.  Not even close.  And people wanna knock me down a peg -- that's to be expected.  But that's their trip not mine.  That's their unhappiness not mine.  I'm doing just fine.  I have an amazing girlfriend who I collaborate with on my personal development work and insights, I travel all around the world, I have my own sole-proprietor business, I get to do personal development all the time, I've got a great personal development accountability partner, I'm financially well off, and I'm working on creating and developing my dream career to become a kick ass personal development teacher.  My life couldn't be better!  And I'm 100% sober now to boot.  So, I'm doing very well.  I'm happy and healthy too.  I feel integrated with my authentic self too.  And I've been so pregnant with great insights lately that I can't write them down fast enough.  And people on here dig my insights a lot.  More so than most of you probably even realize.  I live this shit, and I've benefited from that.  And I try to share that with others too so that others can do what I've done.  So, be careful with projecting onto me, I'm a good guy.  I care about helping people be the best that they can be and improve their lives to the maximum.  I know it's possible because I did it myself.  My life sucked not so many years ago.  Personal development work really turned my life from blah to yay in a couple/few years' time.  This stuff is all about results, not sitting around gossiping about each other.  I agree if that's all I did, that would be a distraction and a shame and a waste of time.  But that's not what I'm about, although I get dragged into gossiping like a young girl too from time to time just like any normal person does.  I'm really working on here.  Think of this as my job, that's how I look at it.  I'm working my ass off on my life purpose and my career when I'm on here.

Edited by Joseph Maynor