TheOne

What is time ?

42 posts in this topic

I think the human concept of time, at current, is a limited one. Time exists as a straight line to us; there's a past, a present, and a future. However, a lot of sci-fi videos play with the concept of time not existing as a line. Can you imagine that? Where past, present, and future are both simultaneous and fluctuating.

Edited by noip

To add to what i was saying lets say your twin brother and you are both age 20.   if your twin brother took a space ship across the universe at nearly the speed of light..time would slow down for him relative to you. For him it would appear normal though. 

When he returns, 20 years may have passed for you, while for him only 6 months.  He would still be 20 and you would be 40.

Your brother has traveled into the future so to speak.

This has been proven scientifically and mathematically.  We just don't have ships that could go that fast.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Would there be time if we didn't have memories?

Time is our ability to track changes. 

Cognition occurs, whether you have memory or not.

I figured this out a long time ago.

Time was invented so that not everything happens at once. 

Time and space in our universe must as I see it be quantized. Think of it like pixels on a computer screen. Otherwise motion would be impossible, because with continuous time and space for a particle to move one inch it would first have to move half that distance, and before that half the half distance and so on and if there was no end to it the particle would never start moving!

BUT, the more fundamental time is continuous and it started now and goes on forever since infinity has no end.

Otherwise time had to have some beginning at some point other than the present moment. Impossible! Or the past stretching back an infinite number of years. Impossible!

1 hour ago, RichardY said:

Cognition occurs, whether you have memory or not.

Can't give one word and expect me to understand lol

2 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

Can't give one word and expect me to understand lol

I don't really understand it either....

Something to do with the self referential nature of the universe. That while perceptions are limited, cognition is not. Therefore you can not get to truth using perception alone. Seeing through a glass darkly.

Time is still something(cognition), I believe it was an illusion to Einstein, but then he was a Pantheist. At the absolute or microscopic level time does not exist, or so I've read, makes sense.

I did try understanding Christopher Langans CTMU. I think I should give it another shot being only 50 pages or so, but pretty heavy.

I doubt many people have read and understood Einsteins "General Theory of Relativity." I haven't. Most I think is sheer human intuition and second hand YouTube and documentary information.

@RichardY can tell you one thing about it.  It ain't constant.  It's relative.

The fourth dimension :)

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 Well you say that. What if it's divergent, and not just relative. People like to throw relative around a lot. So there is not just one stream of time(cognition). 

I see it like this: Time is a measurement device to measure the present moment that is invented by humans. If i walk from one point to another point(start at one point and end at another point) when i started is that in the past or is it just me walking in space? It's movement in space which is the present moment. So it does not exist in that way but like someone stated that if you go faster than light then who knows. So does time exist? I think we misunderstand it but it's could be just a mindfuck.

Time could be a illusion because the mind thinks of it as past and future but it is just movement in space. Present is just space.

"Your the left eye and i am the right would it not be madness to fight, WE COME ONE." - Faithless

2 hours ago, Yellow_Girl said:

I figured this out a long time ago.

Time was invented so that not everything happens at once. 

If there is no time  we can't say the word at ones   this is a timing word .

Edited by TheOne

@RichardY its been proven by science and is being used by GPS systems and a lot of other technologies today.  

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Some nice theories there. What about actual direct experience?

All stories and explanations are false.

On 5/20/2019 at 3:58 AM, Dan502 said:

Because within infinity exists every finitude.

• There are different degrees of infinity. Real numbers are a larger subset of numbers than integers.
  • Leo would say that there is no difference between finitude and infinity.
    • If love is infinite and hate is also infinite, we might feel that love is finite. That's my intuition.

By the way, asking whether time exists is stupid. Time is practical and helps survival whether or not it exists.

Asking whether free will exists is also stupid. What are you going to do if free will doesn't exist?

Edited by CreamCat

1 hour ago, CreamCat said:

By the way, asking whether time exists is stupid. Time is practical and helps survival whether or not it exists.

Asking whether free will exists is also stupid. What are you going to do if free will doesn't exist?

You don't know the answer so how can you know, whether it is practical or not? Many questions seem stupid, until you explore them more deeply.

1 hour ago, bejapuskas said:

You don't know the answer so how can you know, whether it is practical or not? Many questions seem stupid, until you explore them more deeply.

We use clock time to coordinate events and schedule our days. There can be better ways, but we haven't discovered better ways, yet.

2 hours ago, CreamCat said:

We use clock time to coordinate events and schedule our days. There can be better ways, but we haven't discovered better ways, yet.

You can live in time or timelessness, both are „useful“ in their own ways, but it is nice to explore them both.

What is the use of organizing events, did you ask yourself this question?