leintdav000

Why did we learn so fast as children; why do we lose those ability?

16 posts in this topic

I remember when I was little, as I'm sure we all do, we were like sponges: everything we saw and learned we absorbed. We learn so crazy fast about everything! I'm 19 now and I can't help but feel like "I've slowed down". I love learning, and I invest a lot of time into it, but it's something I consciously focus on. When I was little, I'd remember song lyrics, artist names, movie names, etc, etc, bam just like that. Now it's something I really have to concentrate on. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my ability to focus and academically learn hasn't changed, but my ability to passively learn has reduced a lot. As I said, things like movie names, names of locations, trivial, frivolous things, like that I just don't really remember. Why does this happen to us? How can I spark that inner child in me! 

I would say neuroplasticity has to do with it. The brain naturally becomes more rigid and you have to bend it a little more to get what you want. 

Because society makes it easy, herding you into it like a sheep.

Now you are on your own.

You can actually learn much faster and deeper as an adult. But no one will motivate you. It's all on you.

In fact, since you are now trying to move beyond the center of gravity of your culture, they will actively drag you down and discourage you from trying.

So it's all on you twice over.

Plus you gotta pay your bills, so it's all on you thrice over.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Take a chance, it's something to throw dice over.

BAM. GURA REMIX'D, BOI.

Also worth saying (somewhat in my relation to my derpishness) playfulness stops being acceptable as an adult. We learn best when we're enjoying the learning process. That's the whole point of those TV shows for toddlers that DRIVE YOU FUCKING NUTS as an adult with their drawn-out songs about how to take a shit, or whatever. Learning becomes increasingly reductionistic.

Stan Lee used to write in science concepts to his comics, hoping people would look for answers themselves. Look how many visionaries he inspired!

Edited by OrpheusNovum

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all."

-Aristotle 

@Leo GuraThat made me think, and I thought a lot about it for little but...  I think the lack of evolutionary pressure, or as you said it, society making it easy does a lot of damage to us. Depression, anxiety, and cognitive disengagement is the product of us trading security for disengagement with society: because it's too easy. I look back and the happiest, most alive, and cognitively stimulated I've ever been is doing PUA or being put in some kind of situation where I have to engage: evolve or die/fight or die--rock climbing, sparring, or something like that. If I'm not engaging in some kind of challenge, which modern society doesn't really present me with a lot of options--seriously, my biggest challenge as a 19-year-old is to show up to class--then my brain just kinda disengages... 

@leintdav000 You have to set your own challenges in school or anywhere else if you wanna be great.

Ain't nothing more challenging than a 30 day solo retreat, balls to the wall towards awakening.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Because society makes it easy, herding you into it like a sheep.

Now you are on your own.

You can actually learn much faster and deeper as an adult. But no one will motivate you. It's all on you.

In fact, since you are now trying to move beyond the center of gravity of your culture, they will actively drag you down and discourage you from trying.

So it's all on you twice over.

Plus you gotta pay your bills, so it's all on you thrice over.

I've had a really hard time consoling myself with this reality.

When I'm really in touch with my higher self, even on just a personality level, and I'm actually contemplating in one fashion or another and I have a profound insight even on just a relative level, I feel high. When I was really opening myself up and was contemplating light and realized I don't see light, I only see what stops light I was so happy I can't even explain it. That's one of the biggest excitements I have with consciousness work and when I read about people like da Vinci or go over Ralston's work. I miss learning. REALLY learning.

However, I'm 24 with terrible self-esteem and I'm doing this summer sales gig of door-door sales just to earn enough money to move out. I feel like I'm selling my soul and even after this and even being clear on what I want, the reality of what my heart wants so FAR exceeds what I'm capacity to realistically pursue it because I feel so beaten down by my own years of detioriating self-esteem.

I know there's no easy answer to this. I just feel so weak mentally. 

I'm going to use this exaggerated example... Imagine you really wanted to become a world champion body builder. Let's say you have the body and genes for it maybe. However, by the time you realize this vision you're out of shape and you're also in your late 20s. Most importantly, as a result of having gotten out of shape, your self-esteem is so low that your internal capacity to really honestly pursue this vision you know your heart wants is just out of reach. You've broken integrity for long and now your body is so full of shit that this goal feels impossible and although your heart wants it, it's so demoralizing because it feels like you're a newb mountaineer looking up and failing to climb Mt. Everest at 60 years old. 

That honestly feels like that with me with learning, life purpose, enlightenment to the degree I want to pursue it when it comes to my life circumstances, my cognitive condition with ADHD, and my self-esteem. Mainly the self-esteem and circumstances though. It's this inner frustration, apathy, and inner & outer resentment of like "I FUCKED UP MAN! NOW I HAVE TO CLEAN UP THIS WHOLE FUCKING THING I'M BARELY MENTALLY OF FIXING WHILE KEEPING IT TOGETHER MENTALLY AND EMOTIONALLY!" The reality of having to deal with life circumstances that I caused in one way or another, that it's my fault, and the fact that I now feel so fragile with a very weak ego structure that I feel hopeless and demoralized and I get stuck in victim mindset (and getting upset with myself that I am being a victim). 

@kieranperez My solution was to accept my current reality, accept who I am, accept that there are different potentials and my own potential is yet to be discovered, and to just focus on the daily 1% improvements and trust in the compound affect. 

@kieranperez You are not fucked up, you are Love! Love is your soul's truest nature and highest desire. All you need to do when you've feeling down is love more. Love yourself. Love the universe. Love until it kills you.

24 is nothin'! You are a baby yet. Your whole life is ahead of you. You are right where you need to be.

Replace your doubts with love and your soul will be happy.

@Leo Gura @Leo Gura I'm looking forward to my first 30-day solo retreat. I had a massive awakening in high school and honestly, I feel like I'm going to need a fear years to adjust... I was dead asleep and it really shook me orientation with reality and self. Maybe after graduation, I'll go do my first one

There was some guy who talked about the subconscious that mentioned the saying "give me the child until 7 and I'll show you the man" a lot of programming comes from the first 7 years. To which it becomes more difficult from then on. Because you have to replace previously accepted mechanisms instead of solely take on new mechanisms. 

Coz you exhaust your potential & juices

We aren't born all-powerful - at start just some life seeds to grow 

If you are smart & do the right stuff growth process will give perfect fruits & entitle u to new portion of power

Many call this initiation

Getting this new power & breaking through limitations will make u feel just like child again - soaking everything instantly                     

Also see the world like u never did before hehe

@leintdav000 the brain works in a way so that new abstraction layers are built as we grow older.

at early stages, the brain learn very straightforward tasks, such as understanding your senses, walking, running, understanding and speaking, recognizing facial expressions etc.

then, as time passes by, we learn how to investigate things with more depth. we can reach the limits of the mind with the process of intellectualization.

and then it's also possible to go beyond the mind altogether.

unborn Truth

@pluto I like when Leo talks about love, lol. I get this special feeling inside :P

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

We fall from love\enlightenment and we discover it again.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.