Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric Tarpall

Banning words from your vocabulary

11 posts in this topic

Some words disempower you or promote things that you don't like. Therefore it's useful to stop saying those words. For example the word ''depressed'' If you use this word you acknowledge that depression exists. You give power to it. And I would argue that you're causing depression to exist by saying this word. You cause it to exist in your own mind but also in the minds of everyone who's listening. Choose your words carefully.

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

Depression actually does exist. That is why people developed a word for it. The condition came first, then the word followed, as a way to describe the condition of being chronically, emotionally down.  Having said that, I think the word is being overused. A lot of people who claim to be 'depressed' are only just typically sad, which is a normal, natural emotion and a feeling that comes and goes in perfectly normal, average people. 

Clinical depression is something else besides typical sadness. It is not something that comes and goes, but an actual condition that requires treatment. Banning the word won't cure the condition, although I appreciate the sentiment. 

@LaraGreenbridge I don't know which word you're speaking of. But it sounds like you're wanting something to exist.

@Eric Tarpall Your post is empty, what did you write?

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

If a person is experiencing depression, it can be useful for them to tell others about it. The most efficient way of doing this is to have a word for it.

If the person realises that they're identifying too strongly with the depression, using it as an excuse, or using the word even though they don't feel that way any more, then I agree that it might be useful to reduce usage of the word.

In recent years, my usage of the words "should" and "just" has reduced.

Profound Familiarity
An Audio Journal

1 hour ago, iTommy said:

@Eric Tarpall Your post is empty, what did you write?

I don't know what empty means. I only see potential.

1 hour ago, Dan502 said:

If a person is experiencing depression, it can be useful for them to tell others about it.

In the short term that might feel reassuring to that person but it's the worst thing you can do for the long term. Because those people will keep treating you like you have depression and you want to keep acting depressed around them. Because they're rewarding your depressed behavior by giving you love and attention.

I know what you mean.

Leo's video on saying should/should not is a good example if what you are pointing to.

You attach certain feelings/energies on what you say and by using the words associated with those you could be reinforcing negative feelings. This promotes them to keep coming back up. It works in a similar way as positive affirmations.

It appears to me that talking openly about depression and working to treat it can sometimes help to do just that.

I suspect keeping such an unpleasant experience a secret or pretending it doesn't exist could make it worse.

Admittedly my experience of depression is limited.

Profound Familiarity
An Audio Journal

@Dan502 Key is balance I think. :D

Don't ignore the feelings but don't let it have all the power.