Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LaraGreenbridge

Looking for answers re: actualization and happiness

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

This past 12 months I have become very interested in all things to do with spirituality, enlightenment, non-duality and Advaita. It has been a very interesting journey, but in the end, I found it disappointing. The majority of people I have encountered have been people with a lot of unhappy life issues- I mean, basically, I have have come to realize that it is only confused people who are attracted to a spiritual path. (I suppose that sounds very dismissive, but I can explain further, if asked.)

The other people I met were disengaged with reality. I suppose they might be 'happy' in a way, but I found them pretty weird. A lot of people I came across just wanted to escape normal adult responsibilities!

Since accepting this and getting on with my life, I feel very content, very satisfied with my life and extremely grateful for everything I have and have achieved. I don't feel that I have any unanswered questions. (I suppose this is my ego!)

Now, there is only one thing I need answered, just to put my mind at ease. My question is this- were you happy when you felt the urge to follow a spiritual path? If so, did you assume you would become even happier? Have you become happier or is happiness no longer a concern for you, like, you could take it of leave it?

Thank you for reading this :)

I was happy when I started self-actualisation. I wasn't depressed, sad, lonely, or anything of that sort. I liked my life back then.

I loved reading and came across a book that talked about meditation. They talked how they increased their productivity and other aspects of their life by a substantial amount. Always looking for an edge, I gave it a shot, and within weeks I started to feel the same effects. Then down the rabbit hole I went with all things spirituality. 

So I was happy back then, I am just happier now. Before I was like a delicious ice-cream, now with spirituality I am an ice-cream with sprinkles :) 

Edited by Knock

2 hours ago, LaraGreenbridge said:

Now, there is only one thing I need answered, just to put my mind at ease. My question is this- were you happy when you felt the urge to follow a spiritual path? 

I’m curious:  Why might this be the one and only question that puts your mind in dis-ease?

I was suffering like shit.

Depression, OCD, ADHD, zero social skills, zero self-esteem, stressed all the time.

I don't remember everything that I suffered at that point ,but I'm glad I'm over most of them.

2 hours ago, LaraGreenbridge said:

were you happy when you felt the urge to follow a spiritual path? If so, did you assume you would become even happier? Have you become happier or is happiness no longer a concern for you, like, you could take it of leave it?

For me it wasn't about being un-happy ... I have always tried to be observent and I had begun to learn by talking to other people how much room for improvment I had in my life, school, work and personal. They all seem blend and I saw the pattern I was laking one thing in all of them dicipline. Even if I look back about if I was happy or not the one thing I can say for sure is that when I begin to learn I started to fell right alway that things would get so much better ...and to use your word I would be happier.

Tu amigo

@LaraGreenbridge what you are talking about is spiritual bypassing, not true spirituality.

True spirituality will reveal Absolute Truth.

Those with a yearning to align themselves with the Absolute/God will find true Liberation.

For discovering the Absolute/God for yourself will reveal that you ARE the Absolute/God, and were the whole time.  Not the Ego, but the Infinite you.   It was you and you alone, and in fact you are alone, and all things are you.

This is the highest realization and this is non-duality or Oneness.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.