Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Theta

Integrating Spiral Dynamic Stages

6 posts in this topic

How do you know that you have properly integrated a stage and that you won't have to go back to it later in life?

How do you know which aspects of a stage you still have to work on?

How do you know that you can move on to the next stage?

How do you know that you have transcended values from the "lower" stages?

How does the process of integrating a stage even properly work?

For example I am a 20 year old student. I've never had a proper job in my life, but still feel like I want to move on into green and work more on my spirituality. But when I think about it, I am not sure if I have integrated orange enough yet.

I have been working pretty hard for exams, so this could mean that I have integrated oranges value of excellence and achievement. But I have never seen the real business side of things and haven't been much interested in maximizing profits or earning much money or anything like that. So I might be missing integration on the money or business aspect of orange. But do I really need that?

I generally don't have the desire to integrate most of oranges values. But I don't want to have to get back to orange later in life. After this chapter of my life I want to be mostly done with orange and move on. I want to make sure that I have integrated orange well enough first.

How do you move faster through the "lower" stages without having to spend too much time stuck in the stage, but still integrate it enough to move on?

Or how do you know any of the above for the other stages?

Just do it and you'll figure it out along the way. The process is too messy to lay out as a formula.

You can always move to the next stage. Nothing is stopping you but yourself.

"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself." -- Rumi

Here are some tips that i've learnt: 

- I looked at the spiral as "goals to achieve". basically from an orange perspective. so I would behave green, try do to green things, act like I'm green, think and do green things. but the problem here is that i didn't really understand what i was doing. the next stage is an increase in consciousness. make your priority to increase your consciousness to the next stage instead of just pretending to be a stage as some egoic achievement 

- listen to the next stage teachers, try to understand them 

- learn what is a healthy embodiment of a stage and listen to /hang out with those who embody that stage in a healthy manner 

- read that stages books 

One thing I noticed is that as life changes around you, it illuminates the qualities you need to work on. Life will challenge you. Fear and the difficulties you face show you the things you're supposed to lean into. Recently, I had to have a series of really difficult conversations with people. Setting boundaries and asserting yourself are stage red qualities that I still need to integrate. Am I over my fears? No, but I will be challenged again, and again until hopefully it sticks. We'll see what life presents me.

On another note. I was predominantly in stage orange. Running around chasing one accomplishment over the next. I really wore myself out and after a realized that I still felt unfulfilled. Spiral dynamics made me realize that I needed to start focusing on adopting a more greenish value system. Now I spend a lot of time with friends and am learning how to connect with people on a deeper level. I'm also working on taking better care of my health. I feel so much more fulfilled now. I had essentially outgrown orange and needed to move into a different way of being.

What I learned this past year is that you're to rise to the challenges that life presents you and don't shy away from the challenges that prevent you from getting what you want. However, if you feel deeply unfulfilled, you may need to re-evaluate your set of values like I had to do in moving from orange to green. In myself, I still see a number of qualities I need to integrate at the lower stages. I believe that I am a yellow thinker, though I don't claim to be tier 2. At red I need to work on assertiveness, at green I need to work connecting with people on a deeper level.

The question I would pose you is where do you feel unfulfilled in your life, and what challenges are you currently facing? That should give you a clue as to what you need to work on presently. Don't worry so much about transcendence or reaching the next level. It's all about what's happening in your life now.

19 hours ago, d0ornokey said:

the next stage is an increase in consciousness. make your priority to increase your consciousness to the next stage instead of just pretending to be a stage as some egoic achievement 

Thats a good point. When I slow down in life and become a bit more conscious, I tend to do more green things. When I have a lot going on and am stuck in chasing achievement I act more orange of course.

16 hours ago, ivory said:

The question I would pose you is where do you feel unfulfilled in your life, and what challenges are you currently facing? That should give you a clue as to what you need to work on presently. Don't worry so much about transcendence or reaching the next level. It's all about what's happening in your life now.

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you :)