Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Identity

Feeling not competent enough for life purpose

13 posts in this topic

My highest value is growth. I value growth a lot in both my personal life and see it as a huge component of my life purpose to help others to grow.

I'm still young and have been on the path of mastering my own life relatively shortly, around two years. Now, the progression I've made that time is quite amazing to me, and I feel like I'm really on the right track now.

I'm convinced that my life purpose will be centered around helping others to grow as well. However, at this point, I feel like I'm not developed enough to help others. Ultimately my life purpose will be centered around spirituality I think, but it feels like that is definitely 5, 10, 15, 20 years down the line. For the upcoming years I want to do it through having my own business that provides training and maybe coaching for people within organizational settings. I've got a little bit of experience with this, but starting my own company is a different animal.

The plan I made recently is to open my own massage salon, part-time, besides my studies. I've got little experience with massage, but loved it from a young age. I figured it would be a nice stepping stone. Getting experience with starting my own business, gathering clients, building self-esteem etc. However, I had my first lesson today out of a 10-lesson 1-on-1 course I'm doing. This made me doubt whether I am ready for this step as well.. as my notions of giving massage were quite naive. I didn't take into account the emotional and energetic maturity that is required to successfully help both clients whilst remaining stable yourself.

I've got just over a year of studying left, after which I have to become financially independent. Therefore I am now trying to build something up that can at least partly support me by then. The problem is that I don't feel ready enough to do it through the paths I can imagine for myself now. Feels like I need a few more years of self-mastery to actualize any of them.

I'm not really sure what to do. Are these mostly limiting beliefs I have that I just need to bust through with radical action? Or should I listen to my self-doubt and build my self-esteem in these areas more slowly and gradually? 

Realizeyourgrowth.com

Oh, Btw, the woman from the massage course today gave me my score of a maya calender test, or something like that. This was the result:

"YELLOW SEED" Yellow seed is the energy that brings out your potential. It is the sexual energy, the driving force behind all creation. By building lasting structures you can materialize your dreams. This starts with doing. Often you will have to leave your safe heaven behind. Build a safe fundament for your own creations. Can fear making steps and not come into movement by itself.

Strength: Growth

Looks pretty fucking relevant at this point lol.

Realizeyourgrowth.com

What you're saying is, you want to start a business giving massages but have almost no experience?

I'd say spend the few months you have left until school finishes training and learning as much as possible. Finish the course, and then take another. Ask others if you can give them massages for free if they give you feedback on what you can improve. Go on youtube and start watching videos from many different instructors. Read massage technique books. Get a well-rounded education on massage.

On top of all that, you probably don't know how to market and advertise effectively, how customer relationships work, have the funds to open your own studio, or have the knowledge of running a business. Of course, you can learn all that after you open your business, but that will be a painful process that must happen quickly or you'll find yourself in debt very soon.

I'd say build your skills and knowledge, then get a job at a massage studio. Learn from the workers/massagers there, watch how the owner runs the business, learn how to handle and keep customers, and continue working on your craft while earning money and becoming financially independent. Then, you will start to have the base knowledge to open your own business.

Hope this helps!

@Wyatt Thanks for your reply, those are some valuable tips!

I've found some people who run their own massage business and am meeting up with them to ask how they did it. Also, I've got some friends who can help me with making a website, get more views, etc. 

Definitely going to give more people massages and ask for their feedback, that's for sure the next step indeed. The youtube videos is a good tip as well, don't know why I didn't think about that, but that's an easy free way to learn!

Luckily I don't need it to support myself financially with this for some time, and even then it will only be a partial income stream I think. 

Realizeyourgrowth.com

@Identity you are a young, good boy. Now stop being a pussy and get to work aka finding your life purpose. Also stop being a cheap ass and buy the life purpose course.??

Edited by Good-boy
Bored

@Flatworld Crusades Thank you!

@Good-boy Ive already got the life purpose course sir. I will stop being a pussy though and start taking radical action. I will post progression here soon.

Realizeyourgrowth.com

I promised to post some progression, so here it is:

I have talked with a woman who also gives massage’s in my city a few times. She doesn’t use her room full time. We have a verbal agreement on me sub-renting her room and using her massage table for 1 full day and one evening in the week. Next week we will sign the contract. This is a big and crucial step.

I have taken more massage lessons.

I have read more about massage and watched some video’s online.

I have talked to people about my plans. Pretty much everyone around me knows my plan. I think this is also an important step, because part of what was holding me back is fears about what others would think, my image and stuff. That is no longer an obstacle. Also, it helps to push me forward, because people are asking questions about it, giving me information and tips, etc.

I have made a schedule for everything I have to do and when I will do it:

10- 16 June:

-          Keep taking the massage lessons from my course

-          Keep practicing on people, read more about it, get comfortable with it, keep spreading the word, etc.

-          Decide on what I want on my website: First look at other similar websites and the components they have on there. Then think about what I want to have on mine; what kind vibe do I want to give off? What do I want to tell about my background? What specific massages and pricing will be displayed? Etc. Also, contact my friend at the end of the week, when I have some more concrete idea’s, for putting it all together.

-          Get in touch with the KvK to start my own business. I will call them tomorrow to get advice on the best structure etc. (I have some other stuff that makes it more complicated than just this business).

17-23 June:

-          Keep taking the massage lessons from my course

-          Keep practicing on people, read more about it, get comfortable with it, keep spreading the word, etc.

-          Sign the contract for the sub-renting

-          Continue with the website and make it more concrete. Make pictures I need, specific texts, all this. Depending on the contact with my friend, build the site.

-          Hopefully make the business side complete during this week.

24-30 June:

-          Keep taking the massage lessons from my course, this week are the final lessons.

-          Talk to the other massage therapist at the beginning of the week and plan in the extra lessons with him (most likely already for the 29th and 30th of June).

-          Hopefully finish the website this week.

At this point I am done with the massage course and should have a solid idea of how I am going to market myself, what my pricing will be etc. The month of July will be focussed on marketing and getting clients.

I won’t make a specific week-to-week planning just yet, as it things are getting to uncertain at this point. However, what I definitely want to do:

-          Make a lot of flyers at the beginning of the month. Start handing them out. Not just to people on the street, but also going door-to-door.

-          Call up nearby hotels and other potential businesses with which I can collaborate.

-          Set up an Instagram and facebook page (will be easy after I have the content for my website).

-          Look at potentially getting involved with deal sites where I will provide a cheaper deal on for the first month for example or something like that.

-          Talk to a friend who does google search optimization; maybe he can help me to become more visible.

-          Make appointments with friends for massages for the start of August so I can practice with them, get comfortable with it etc. Do this for free and ask them to post reviews.

Realizeyourgrowth.com

If there's one thing life teaches us (mostly against our will) is that we have to be brave enough to be bad at something before we improve. It's a cliche at this point but the master has tried and failed more times than the beginner has even tried. 

I read your list and loved your plan of action. You're very motivated and clearly passionate about what you're pursuing. You're bold and driven. Never lose those traits. 

Everything won't fall into place at once but when we accept failure, embrace even the smallest successes, things have a way of working out because we focused and stayed on the path. Try reading this to see how even when you're feeling tired or discouraged, the fact that you're out there trying is the biggest thing you've got going for you. 

@Spiritual_Seeker Thank you, that means a lot to me :D 

I'm simultaneously working on a workshop to help students to create a vision for their life. Decided to apply some of the principles I'm putting together to the massage business. This is what I came up with:

I want to have a massage business by the beginning of September that is up and running. A fully functioning business with everything in place that is necessary for it to run smoothly. A nice website, a nice room with towels and oils and music, social media, well-rounded packages with pricing and everything. A growing client base with happy customers that promote me through word of mouth. Nice flyers I can hand out at any time I want. Contacts with other businesses that refer clients to me and help me to promote and grow.

I also want to feel comfortable and confident in the business. Handling clients with ease. Talking about my business to others without any resistance, do it proudly. Feeling like I am really contributing to the health and mind state of my customers. Being pleased through the fact that they are pleased.

Realizeyourgrowth.com

confidence through competence 

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

Time for another update, I've made some good progress over the last few weeks:

- I have finished the massage course! Got the certificate and everything :D 

- I took an additional lesson from a Chinese massage therapist. It was quite useful and we are staying in touch. He was really kind and said he would be happy to provide further instructions for free, which I might follow him up on in the upcoming weeks.

- I signed the sub-renting contract! From August on I will have a completely furnished room for a Sunday the full day and Monday in the evening.

- I had a photoshoot last week. We spend the whole day taking pictures of both me giving massages and just me in different poses and contexts. I will receive all the pictures in the upcoming days. For so far I saw, they are very professional and great. This will be perfect for my website, social media, and flyers.

- I completed the business side. I have registered myself as a business under the name Satoris.

- I have layed the foundation for the website. Satoris.com is my domain name. Together with the friend that is helping me, we choose a template for the website.

- I also spread the word a bit more. Talked about it with friends and relatives. Got more comfortable with the idea. I also talked to the owner of my local gym, she was excited about my business and would help spread the word and see if she can hook me up with contacts.

- I bought some materials I need; towls, massage oil, etherial oils, candles.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the progress I made. However, there is still a lot to be done before my business will be operational:

- An important step I need to make soon is to make a logo. I need it for everything; the website, flyers, social media, etc. I had a contact who makes logo's, but her pricing starts from 450 euro's for complete process, but would digitalize a completed sketch for 150 euros. My budget is actually max. 100 euro's... Does anyone have a good idea for how to quickly make a logo in a cheap way?

- Next weekend I am meeting with my friend to work further on the website. My plan was to finish it.. but I am not sure that will work out. Next few days I should get the pictures from the photoshoot. Together with the info and ideas I have we should come a long way. However, it will be hard to get the logo in time..

- As soon as I have the pictures and logo I will make flyers and start spreading them.

- Pretty much what I need is to get the logo, website, social media and flyers in place. As soon as I have this I can start the marketing process, which will be very important. If I have this I can go to local stores and places I know to spread the flyers. I can start contacting hotels and other places to offer my services. I can start boosting my google visability and reviews, etc.

- From August on I will have the room. To get comfortable I will use the first few weeks mainly massaging friends and family for free/low price. I have already planned a few, but will continue to plan more in the upcoming weeks.

So yeah, It's a matter of tying all the 'hard' stuff together in the upcoming weeks so I can start marketing in time. Because I will use the first few weeks for friends and family, it won't be a big deal it I won't have many customers yet in the beginning of August. However, I definitely want to start marketing when August starts.

Realizeyourgrowth.com

Flying in with another update. Woohoo we're getting close to the opening. From the 1st of August I will get the keys to my room! So let's see what the situation is like, where I stand, and what steps I still need to take. I've made quite a bit of progress once again and am happy with where I am at. I have:

- The first version of the site is complete! Check out Satoris.nl! In a week and a half I'm meeting with my friend to update some more things, but this is good enough to start marketing, and start the launch.

- The logo is done (also visible on the website). Managed to do create one for only 100 euro's :D 

- I've practiced more. The support I have received is quite amazing. Literally,I've a friend of mine bought a foldable massage table for me out of the blue, so I have had the chance to practice more at home.

- I've been spreading the message more. Found some places and connections to market with flyers and stuff. Been getting more comfortable with the overall idea, internalizing it. Watched more video's on techniques and stuff.

So, from the first of August, I will have my spot. I decided I am not in a huge hurry to fill my time up with clients in the first weeks. The first weeks I plan to massage a lot of friends and family for free/low prices (I am open only the full Sunday and Monday evening). Just so I can get comfortable in the place, practice my techniques and really feel ready. However, it might also take a while before clients from the outside will start coming in. So, I will use this week to get some more things in place, and start marketing from next week onwards.

What I will do this week:

- Make and print flyers. Now that I have the logo, pictures, text and everything, I can make the flyers. I will to this in the next couple of days and print a bunch of them.

- Make the Facebook page. I've already opened one and linked it to my website. However, it's still empty. Therefore I want make it nice with pictures and texts etc.

- Google search. I have to figure out how to become more visible on google searches. I expect this will be an important stream of potential clients. At least, that's how I have looked for massages in the past. Just google it and see what pops up and resonates with me. I know someone who is specialized in this, so I will contact him and see if he wants to help me for free/cheap. Otherwise I will have to look for some other source, or see if I can find something online myself.

- I have already planned a few massages with friends and family in the first weeks, but I want to plan more.

So, that's what I want to do this week. After this week I will have everything in place to really start the marketing process. I will start spreading the flyers to stores and contacts I have gathered, and going door-to-door near the area of my business. I will start calling hotels and stuff to see if I can collaborate with them. I will make a post on my personal facebook. And overall just get the word out through my social circle and whatever opportunities I get! 

Realizeyourgrowth.com