Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OrpheusNovum

Shaolin Warrior retreat for $500!

5 posts in this topic

I just found this, and I had to share! For $500, you get lodging and food in upstate New York where you get to learn Kung Fu from a Shaolin master for 3 days! I can't afford it this year, but this just moved to the top of my self-development bucket list! So much better of an investment than ideological programs from guys like Elliot Hulse and Dan Peña that can cost $4000-6000 a pop!

https://www.usashaolintemple.com/shaolin-warrior-monk-retreat-2019/

Edited by OrpheusNovum

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all."

-Aristotle 

Wondering how much of the eastern tradition you would experience or whether it comes with 24/7 buffet, high-speed wireless connection, gym and jacuzzi 9_9

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

This sounds silly but I’ve never been to New York nor have I gone on a retreat so this opportunity is actually being considered ?

Would anyone like to share their thoughts involving the retreat itself? I’m skeptical about the value this particular retreat will have 

SCHEDULE

Friday- Arrival and signing in begins after 4:00 pm. There will be a light dinner for all incoming participants.

Saturday and Sunday- The morning begins with an hour of running, stretching and Kung Fu basics (1hr). Once finished, participants are served breakfast (1hr). After breakfast, participants are taught Qi Gong (1hr) and Tai Chi (1hr). Thereafter, participants are served lunch (1hr). After lunch is a 1hr break. Once break is over, participants are taught Kung Fu (2hrs.). After Kung Fu, participants are served dinner (1hr.). The rest of the day is allotted to free time.

Monday- Morning exercises; breakfast; review of all disciplines; certificate ceremony and a light lunch.

Sounds like a lot of information and hard work. As much as Leo advocates for yoga, I have found Tai Chi far more suited to my experience. I think it's something about digging into the egoic functions of the fight reflex and unwiring the stress response by slowing down your motions as you project that energy outwards. Mindful fighting. It's far more difficult than it looks, and always brings tears to my eyes when I see it.

Edited by OrpheusNovum

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all."

-Aristotle