Mezanti

my uncle had schizophrenia should i try Psychedelics?

12 posts in this topic

my uncle was a schizophrenic, i dear that if i try it, i might go koo koo

i've heard that people that have a predisposition to schizophrenia usually develop schizophrenia as a result of a trip

should i still do them?

please tell me if you know anything about this

Don't risk it, you don't want to end up like the Russian youtuber who shot someone after taking shrooms.

maybe try a low dose even a microdose and wait for a month, if you didnt go bananas then step it up a notch

Dont look at me! Look inside!

2 hours ago, tenta said:

Don't risk it, you don't want to end up like the Russian youtuber who shot someone after taking shrooms.

Do you have a link to that or any info on how much the guy took as stuff like that makes me worry about taking them. 

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

As someone that is part of a family full of mental disorders (including an aunt with schizophrenia), I guarantee you that if you are doing inner work, consciousness work, meditating, acquiring wisdom, self knowledge and I assume you do because you are in this forum, you are waaay less likely to go nuts than any of your family members. It is not a random thing, it is directly related with your ability to cope with reality, especially your inner reality (feelings and thoughts). Can you deal with your emotions, can you deal with your thoughts? Have you ever had a panic attack? The truths you find out on psychedelics can be pretty shocking although equally beautiful, most people are not prepared for it, that's why we have so much mental disorders, mostly due to lack of metaphysics knowledge and experience. 

I also am concerned with going nuts (although I released most of this fear) but I also know that this isn't a purely rational fear. That being said, I highly recommend you to be cautious anyway, start with small doses and then escalate from there slowly. We can have all sorts of prevention measures like having a trip sitter or even a benzo with you can greatly diminish any anxiett about and during the trip. 

@Mezanti I took LSD once, so I'm not all that experienced, but when it comes to psychedelics - take them once you are absolutely sure that you can handle anything they will throw at you. If you're not sure, then this very feeling can be magnified into a bad trip that could potentially damage you.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@Mezanti I also have a schizophrenic and had the same concern. 

There are a lot of variables that combine to yield schizophrenia. From a scientific perspective, we estimate it’s about 2/3 genetic and 1/3 environmental. Having an affected family member suggests higher risk, yet there is degree to that risk. There are dozens of genes involved and it’s a very complex network - then that “internal” network interacts and is modified by the environment. Having a second order relative, such as an uncle, only marginally increases the risk - only about 2% higher than the general population. 

My impression is that there aren’t any schizophrenic symptoms you are currently experiencing. That these symptoms are “out there” and you may be vulnerable to “catching” them since you have an affected family member. If so, that is precisely where I was prior to my first trips. Based on what I’ve read an ime, I would take greater precautions, yet not go overboard. The clinical studies did screen out people with a family history of schizophrenia. This is precautionary. During stage 1 and 2 trials the researchers want to select the best candidates, so they select individuals with PTSD, depression, alcoholism etc. without schizophrenia or a family history of schizophrenia. It’s an extra complicating variable we just don’t want in the trials and we want to limit any potential side effects and harm to the individual as much as possible. So, we just don’t know. We don’t have any scientific empirical data on this, just fragments of anecdotal reports online. However, there was a meta study that examined if the psychedelic therapy sessions increased the frequency of post-treatment psychosis, suicide etc. There was no significant difference between control and experimental groups. Yet keep in mind the participants were in a control setting - they had received therapy before and after the trip and the trip setting was very comfortable and safe.

So I would be a bit more cautious. I would start with a small dose and create a comfortable, relaxed tripping environment. I would be mindful of my own tendencies regarding anxiety. Are you more of a “go with the flow” kinda guy? Or do you generally like more structure and grounding and knowing what’s going on? Imagine you went on a three day meditation to retreat and found out there is no schedule. For three days, you won’t know what happens next. You just go with whatever arises. Would that be relaxing or stressful to you? Or imagine you are in Guatemala riding a Turk-Tuk into a remote village to buy some hand-maid scarfs. Once you are in the middle of nowhere, the driver says “we are going to head to another place”.  Would you naturally be like “Cool! What an adventure!”. Or would anxiety arise like”Whoa, what’s happening. Where are we going? This could be bad.”. 

Psychedelics can allow a mind to explore different perceptions of reality. Yet the mind “comes back” and one can integrate the experience to expand their consciousness. I would just be cautious, as if you are scuba diving. Your first time, you wouldn’t buy used scuba gear on eBay with no instructions, try to figure it out on your own and then go out into the Pacific Ocean for a solo dive, hoping for the best. Here would be a high risk it doesn’t turn out so well and afterwards one might feel traumatized and swear they will never go scuba diving again.